1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

What is up with Superman and Wonder Woman??

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by DR.MID-NITE, May 2, 2001.

1. DR.MID-NITE

DR.MID-NITE The Original

In the comic books they always seem to want them to be together. I have seen a few different elseworld books where they actually do get together. I wonder if this is a case where the writers want them together. But, continuity and nostalgia keeps Superman with Lois. Just curious as to what other people think.

#1 DR.MID-NITE, May 2, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2001
  2. Love for Lois parallels love for humanity

I don't know much about their relationship. When they first introduced Supergirl into the comics there was speculation that she was destined to be Supes' mate. But, the writers made it a point for Superman and Kent to refer to Supergirl (in and out of costume) as like a sister/ his cousin, etc. Lois was the one he wanted.

I think Superman is closer to his real self as Kent. He has a love for humanity and I feel he wants to be as human as he can. Being an orphan in essence, he see's Earth as a surrogate world. And like a foster child, he's a grateful outsider, who can never really feel like one of the pack, so he lives his life in service. Aimin' to please, as it were, in the form of Superman. But as Clark he's more himself.

I think Clark's relationship with Lois is a manifestation of his desire to be loved and accepted by humanity. He is in awe of Lois, desires her. And while a relationship with someone like Supergirl or Wonder Woman is a more logical choice, to Clark it's a step in the wrong direction, a step away from humanity. No I'm not a Psych major.:p Later..:D

3. DR.MID-NITE

DR.MID-NITE The Original

While I agree with your assesment. I am talking more about an actual relationship shown. I have never read any comic (that I can remember) that shows Superman showing an inkling of romance with Supergirl. Yet, I have read a few comics (both regular & Elseworlds) that have shown some sort of spark. It just seems to me in the last couple of years that they have done this.

4. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

I've heard of a few Elseworld comics having Clark and Wonderwoman get together. Can't say I like them though. Max pretty much has my opinion on that down pat in his post up there.

But I also heard of some sort of anime form in which Superman and Wonderwoman had a baby and it was the star. Weird!!

As far as I'm concerned, these Elseworld comics are ghosts because I hear about ones with this Wonderwoman/Superman relationship, but I've never seen em.

5. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

Superman and Wonder Woman

You ever hear the one about Supes, Wondie, and the Invisible Man? :D I've got a copy of one of Lewis Grizzard's tapes in which he opens his act with that one. It's a riot. He also talks about how, in the old 1950's TV show, how the bad guy would empty all six shots in Superman's chest, and he'd just grin as they bounced off. "You can't hurt Superman," Grizzard admonished. "He's the Man of Lead!" After the gun ran out the thug would hurl his pistol at Superman--and he'd duck ! Personally I've always thought if you really wanted to hurt Superman, just kick him in the cojones. That would hurt no matter how super and invulnerable a fella thought he was.... :p :eek:

6. Eldermount

Eldermount Goof ball

It's been a while since I regularly purchased comic books. It just got too expensive after a while.

Anyhow, back in the late 80's, after Byrne had revamped Superman, and shortly after Perez revamped Wonder Woman, they had a short story arc about a growing attraction between the two. WW looked at Supes as a god who walked among mortals, and Supes just thought that WW was stunning. (Who wouldn't?) They had a "date" set up by WW's publicitist. In one of the Superman titles (Adventures of Superman?) they had Supes thinking about the "date" for most of the issue. (I remember that one, because that's the same issue that Batman let's Superman know that he knows Superman's secret identity, and vice versa)

The last page was a full page panel of Supes and WW embracing in mid-air, kissing.

The following week, they had the same picture on the cover of Action Comics #600 (I remember that because it was a milestone issue.) But the first panel of the story on the inside had Wonder Woman looking shocked that Supes had so boldly gone up and kissed her, and Supes being embarassed at his assuming that WW had romantic feelings for him. By the end of the story, WW realizes that Supes. as powerful as he is, is just a mortal, and she doesn't really have any romantic interest in him. The two decide it best to be friends.

As for Elseworlds, the only story that I can think of where they hook up is Kingdom Come.