1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

What is "Narf"?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Craig Crumpton, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Roman Legion

Roman Legion Let's Make a Deal
    Staff Member Administrator

What the heck...?

Blood pressure... dropping... arteries beggining to... drain... everything's fading... must stay conscious... must stay conscious... *passes out*

--Romey

#21 Roman Legion, Jan 12, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2002
  2. Nftnat

Nftnat professor/historian/chronicler

He took that better than I thought.

3. Danielle

Danielle Active Member

Yup. I thought he was gonna force himself to watch the Golf Channel. :eek:

I *have* been keeping track of all of my posts.....right now I have...........um.............hold on a sec.........it was..........no, wait.........

And a note: I know the difference between ser and estar, a sign that I actually *am* smarter than Pinky. There. Happy now?

4. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

> I know the difference between ser and estar, a sign that I actually *am* smarter than Pinky. <

That's not exactly High Praise, is it? ;)

5. Danielle

Danielle Active Member

Well, no...........but I like to believe it is. :p Yes, it is! I AM THE ULTIMATE!!!

6. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

The ultimate what?

7. Danielle

Danielle Active Member

Don't get technical. :p

8. Roman Legion

Eeah-yeah... Seems I must have missed this thread back in July, when I was running amok all over Italy. Time to catch up! Mwa ha ha ha haaa!
    Wow, that's umm... a lot of info! Jinkies! Definitely hadn't had anything *this* extensive around here for a while. I know it's about six months late, but good work! Very impressive, narf!
    Oooh, umm... that'd be cuz it's not an organization, it's an attack formation, a naval strategy in this case. That's what the whole cause for concern was when they noticed the spiral path the sub was following... If it did exist, it probably wouldn't be something you'd find on the web. Amazing what you can learn in a foreign policy class. ;-)
    Doubt my take will amount to much, on this one... once you've already got horses, dolphins, and pigs on the list, adding another species to the collection isn't really saying much. I'd actually use them more as potential evidence of Pinky becoming distanced from Phar... As we see them pop up, acknowledgement of Phar's existence on Pinky's part seems to dry up. We do see Phar again in "Wakko's Wish", but that doesn't necessarily fit into continuity, even for non-P&tB characters. ::shrug::
    Yet another Mid-to-Late Third Season episode that I never really cared for... Not only threw all previously established origin stories out the window, but I found it rather bland. Another ::shrug::
    What of it? Was nothing there in the first place. =x
    No, no, and umm... no. Did I mention 'no'? Snowball has one main goal in life, to create misery for Brain. How does he typically do that? By taking all that he can from Brain, for his own. Brain's plans, Brain's goals, Brain's friends, Brain's life, and in this case Billie. ("And now that Billie is mine again, I suppose you'll be doing nothing but wailing.") Furthermore, she was running the show the whole time, just to get back to Pinky. Two year's worth of episodes pass, and she's still after him...

And lastly, we don't know what happened to her after "Brain Noir," so I'm not going to bother arguing about the rest of that paragraph. ;-)
    Nope, I'm not even touching that one... sorry, folks.

Romey
    --::sigh::

9. mookie75

mookie75 Active Member

Well, to answer the question of "What is Narf?" let us go to the tv show itself:

Pinky on the stand at the Presidential debate

Pinky: Narf stands for North American Ratified ffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Moderator: Mr. Dole? A rebuttal?

Bob Dole: Well, as anybody knows. Bob Dole came up with the North American Ratified fffffffffffffffffffffffff. That's Bob Dole's baby.

Moderator (looking confused): Senator Dole...you have three mintues left.

Senator Dole looks around nervously

Bob Dole: fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.....

:)

Warning: This quote may not be 100% verbatim.... :p

Marc

10. Craig Crumpton

Craig Crumpton This is a close-up?

Yes, and to remember how much time was wasted on such a useless post. Time I could've better spent... maybe taking a nap.

11. Nftnat

Nftnat professor/historian/chronicler

I was wondering if Romey was gonna look @ the early parts of this thread. Okkay, I didn't wonder, but I could've. Lessee.

Okkay, first, the Nautilus came long after concern was raised. Said concern was raised when Pinky changed the call letters of the sub from WHOI (Woods-Hall Oceanographic Institute) to NARF. Certain people @ the Agency remembered former agent Jack McGuire's concern over prospects for Nuclear Attack Readiness Formation. A man was dispatched to enlist McGuire's aid in taking care of the problem. The Nautilus pattern --- necessitated by the Sub Club allowing only right turns --- did raise McGuire's concern to another level. "Oh, he's good!" The sub was sunk, & McGuire & the agent celebrated by attending P&tB's pancake jamboree.

As to Fran, I agree with you, Romey. Now that you mention it, Phar got less & less mention as the series went on. Keep in mind I typed that long before I read the fic dealing with Phar, & now I suddenly find myself having switched camps. Altho Billie still might have cause for concern due to Pinky's apparent wandering eye; I seriously doubt that he even thins of her romantically. While it might be enough for her just to be with him, as you have said once; but what happens if the other animals or people show up again? Pinky has shown himself to be liable to fall for any pretty face that comes along while not noticing what's right in front of him. And as I've said, it's genetic, in a certain clone whose name escapes me taking up with a human, Pat / Bunny.

I also agree about Project B.R.A.I.N. It's just one of those versions of their origins the mice themselves found impossible to reconcile. I would write off whatever can't be reconciled as faulty memory. Even with creatures as smart as Brain & Billie.

As to Brain Noir, I dunno. I'm having trouble getting past it taking place back in the '40's, even as I am aware of all the Animaniacs having control over time & space as it suits them. Snowball did want Billie for the same reason he wanted Pinky, because he knew same meant something to Brain. And while he perceived her as being under his control, he figured why not do the whole Pygmalion thing. And if he noticed her feminine qualities, well, chalk that up to Snowball being Snowball, & all that that entails. Of course, she was using him more than he was using her...

And Quinn? Well, other than conceding the possibility that Pinky's head might be turned by a human of like mind & that Billie would be quite jealous, I'm not really inclined to touch it either. Billie did fall for "Pinky's perversely original take on life" going back to The World Can Wait. Now that she's smarter, while Billie could affect being her former simple-minded self, Pinky might be more inclined to those who don't have to fake it. And I might've just written myself into more corners than I've written myself out of. *sigh*

12. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Continuity and Origins

>>>

I also agree about Project B.R.A.I.N. It's just one of those versions of their origins the mice themselves found impossible to reconcile. I would write off whatever can't be reconciled as faulty memory. Even with creatures as smart as Brain & Billie.
    <<<

As I suggested previously (and in that "Have Yourselves a Wakko Little Christmas: Special Edition" fanfic thing), the two main conflicting points I could think of are "Snowball" and "Project B.R.A.I.N." in terms of their origins... one version with Snowball and Brain present, another with just Pinky and Brain present (which the general theme music of the show would support---"they're laboratory mice, their genes have been spliced..."). I wrote off stuff like "Leggo My Ego"'s conflicting points (with Brain in a Dickens-esque version of the lab begging for gruel) as some sort of faulty memory problems---related to my point below, possibly re: "Brain Noir"...

>>>As to Brain Noir, I dunno. I'm having trouble getting past it taking place back in the '40's, even as I am aware of all the Animaniacs having control over time & space as it suits them. Snowball did want Billie for the same reason he wanted Pinky, because he knew same meant something to Brain. And while he perceived her as being under his control, he figured why not do the whole Pygmalion thing. And if he noticed her feminine qualities, well, chalk that up to Snowball being Snowball, & all that that entails. Of course, she was using him more than he was using her...
    >>>

As I also suggested earlier, my explanation for the mice's temporal hopping: the mice went back in time for some sort of scheme of Brain's; however, the time-travel process used leaves the mice in partially-amnesiac state (as to their true temporal origins), and they quickly assume that they actually *live* in the time era they're in, and thus assimilate into their surroundings rapidly (living in that era's version of Acme Labs, Brain dismissing the likelihood of TV catching on in "Mice Don't Dance", etc.). Eventually, the amnesiac effect wears off, and the mice return to their native time, retaining full knowledge of their activites in the past...

Thus, for "Brain Noir", PatB (along with possible stowaways Billie and Snowball) went back to the 40's, where they carried on their usual relationships (at whatever state they were when they left the present) in the past. Eventually, they all returned to the present, of course...

>>>And Quinn? Well, other than conceding the possibility that Pinky's head might be turned by a human of like mind & that Billie would be quite jealous, I'm not really inclined to touch it either. Billie did fall for "Pinky's perversely original take on life" going back to The World Can Wait. Now that she's smarter, while Billie could affect being her former simple-minded self, Pinky might be more inclined to those who don't have to fake it. And I might've just written myself into more corners than I've written myself out of. *sigh*<<<

Not touching that one, either. Also ignoring: the PatB comic where Brain goes out on a date with Billie (though it could've taken place before they went back in time for the events of "Brain Noir"...).

-B.
    Now ask me to explain DC Comics' continuity....

13. Roman Legion

Yes, I do remember all of that. And it's "Woods Hole," by the way. ;-)

Having formerly pursued the study of marine biology, having spent some amount time around Woods Hole, having been a general fan of Rob Ballard, and having always liked sub-movies (The title of the ep is a take on "Das Boot"), this episode has long been a favorite. (Quite the sentence, eh?) One of a few eps where they make very nice use of lighting; I love that.
    Give me a bit, and I'll hopefully be able to build a nice wall between the two, and keep you over on this side. ;-)

Before we get any deeper into this, let me sum up my feelings on the matter as best I can. I think, out of all the possible male/female character combinations that could be drawn between characters on the show, one between Pinky and Billie would be the most successful. There may be roadblocks, there may be difficulties... but I think it would be the ideal.
    Aside from Phar, she may not have *that* much to worry about. It's not like he falls for a random species every day. It might happen again or it might not, who's to say for sure?

Phar was also the only one to return Pinky's sentiments. However, she had the distinction of being sort of a female equine version of Pinky, on some level or another. At least as close to Pinky as a horse, of all creatures, could be. That's what makes Phar a problem to be dealt with. Yet Billie is even closer to a female version of Pinky than Phar is, which is partly why I think they'd work well together. Other than Billie and Phar... there's probably not *too* many other "Versions of Pinky" running about.

We get Phar out of the way, and we're left with a sea lion and a pig. For all those two relationships added up to, he might as well have fallen for a brick. (I can see Pinky falling for a brick, actually.) I'll admit Billie would be jealous even of the brick, and I can see it causing trouble... But I think Pinky & Billie could have enough going to stay together. It might go either way, but if they can get past Phar, they can survive this.

Does Pinky think of Billie romantically? As far as within the show, I doubt it too. Does that rule it out as a possibility? No. Would it come easily? Probably not, Pinky's too dense... It would take time, much like any actual relationship would. They'd form some sort of bond rather quickly, though. I can see Pinky forming a sentimental attachment, such that he'd prefer to continue having her around than not.
    Sort of like what's already written in the first draft of the Billie/Phar story... (Still hard at work.) It's a trial to be overcome. As for genetics, I think the only hardwired thing necessary is a heavy dose of weirdness. Maybe an extra dose in that certain clone's case. =x
    Thing is, you can't have it taking place before the events in "World Can Wait," or any of the prior Snowball episodes, because that just doesn't work. As I see it, the varying dates in which an episode takes place work the same as the varying geographic locations. It's all just a change in setting for the sake of a particular story. Any technical explanation, time hopping or devious writers, is pretty much arbitrary. The only thing that matters is continuity from the perspective of the characters in relation to each other.
    Hmm... I dunno. His first priority we're agreed on, following through with his vendetta against Brain. Beyond that, who knows. I personally think she was just a trophy for Snowball to wave in front of Brain. It might depend on how long he had to dwell on things outside of revenge. It seems they hadn't met by "Welcome to the Jungle," so it may not have been very long at all. I also have to wonder how much of an annoyance she was to Snowball during his attempts to reform her. Just conjecture, though.

The important thing is that last sentence there. Billie really had him doing her bidding all along. So in regards to any possible relationship between the two, I'd have to ask, "What relationship?"
    Good to know we're agreed on that one. ;-)
    Nah, you've only begun to write yourself into corners! Especially with those last few words. ;-)

There's nothing for Billie to fake. Hyper-intelligent or not, she still shares the same basic mindset, temperment, and interests. I'd compare it to what happened to Pinky in "That Smarts"; his mental capacity expanded, but he was still Pinky. And just because someone has the capacity for genious, they don't necessarily have to use it...

--Romey

14. Matthew Hunter

Matthew Hunter Super Genius

narrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff....that's a whole lot of narf pages. They all mean different things. And what's with the "narfist" cult? The page and music are kind of scary...what, do they all worship lab mice who express themselves with funny words? hmmmm... bet THEY don't have a lot of friends. I miss Pinky and the Brain...I wish more cartoons would be made with these characters someday.
    -Matthew

15. Naraht

Naraht Active Member

could be worse...

ppl @ the Sev Discussion board think they're living in a NARFocracy

16. Danielle

Danielle Active Member

These people reeeeeeeaaaaaallly need to get out more......myself excluded. :D

17. Polychrome

Polychrome Cartoon Karate Maniac

Dude, you are scaring me.

Then again, quite interesting that there's so many NARFs out there, eh?

18. Dub

Dub BOB-OMB!

NARF is POIT and POIT is NARF and NARF and POIT are both equal to the sum of ZORT! ^___________^

It all makes sense when you think about it in terms of Pinky :D

19. Danielle

Danielle Active Member

And TROZ is ZORT in the mirror! Can't forget that one! (or was it the other way around....?)

Yes, when you think about it in terms of Pinky, styrofoam peanuts make sense. :p

20. Narfpinky

Narfpinky ~splash~
    Staff Member Moderator

Now, wouldn't it be a wonderful world if everyone saw it my way? Fjord!