1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

What if Warner Bros. owns 4Kids?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Oscar Preciado, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Oscar Preciado

Oscar Preciado New Member

[​IMG]

Just for curious What if TimeWarner acquires 4Kids Entertainment in Late 2004, and put it under Warner Bros.

After merging with Turner and now fully owned Hanna-Barbera, Warner Bros. becomes the next king of Saturday Morning in Late 90's with the newly founded Kids' WB!, even the block surpassed Fox Kids (Fox Kids was later sold to Disney in 2001). 4Kids becomes partner with Warner Bros. that they let air their dub of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!, both of them become a huge success.

After Warner Bros. discovered that their partner, 4Kids, got their own Saturday Morning block, Fox Box, on Fox network, which replace Fox Kids in 2002. TimeWarner acquired 4Kids in Late 2004, along with the rights to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the U.S. rights to Sonic X, Winx Club, One Piece, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, etc. and the Saturday Morning block, Fox Box (later become 4Kids TV, to reflect TimeWarner's ownership). Warner Bros. can still be the king of Saturday Morning in 2000's.

But Warner Bros. spin 4Kids Entertainment off in Late 2010, due to cable competition, Saturday Morning cartoons going downhill and changes at TimeWarner, courtesy of CEO, Jeff Bewkes.

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

I honestly think that it could have worked, It was always funny that 4kids succeeded Kids'WB after their attempt of removing their programs in the mid 2000s of the Kids WB block. I myself do think they should have worked together for anime acquisitions.

3. GlassCake

GlassCake Member

Animes would have a hirer budget in terms of editing, WB might have the guts to keep them uncensored and the cess pool of talent might grow because the company will be union.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Egon1982

Egon1982 Member

4Kids did well with Ninja Turtles but sucked at doing dubs for anime

5. TheMisterManGuy

TheMisterManGuy Active Member

Next thing you know, the two companies would acquire a former christian cable channel to try and turn into a kids network, and then ultimately, sell the whole package to Disney when it inevitably fails. :p

In all seriousness, Warner Bros. didn't need to buy 4kids because they're Warner Bros. Even if Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! were ratings juggernauts for Kids' WB!, the network could still survive on WB's extensive library of characters like Looney Tunes and DC superheroes thanks to WB's strong TV animation division. I brought this before, but part of the reason I feel Fox Kids lost to Kids' WB! was because Twentieth Century Fox itself had no strong TV animation unit. Fox Kids had to merge with Saban Entertainment because the parent company never had the same knowledge of animation and children's programming like Warner Bros. did.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, Fox should've avoided the Saban deal all together and instead focus on having a strong TV animation unit for its networks.