1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

What If Time-Warner Bought Marvel Comics?

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, May 22, 2001.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

I'm sure you've read how Marvel has lost a major sponsor with CITIBANK and may have to sell the copyrights to alot of their big characters. Now, I wonder...what if Time Warner bought the rights to these characters? What do you think would happen, and what would be the ramifications?

BTW, Here's the full article:

The Marvel financial woes seem to have worsened, according to a recent report at the Comicon.com Splash Web site. The report states that the company has defaulted on their credit line with CitiBank to the tune of approximately $17 million, and has been forced to offer up all of their copyrights and trademarks, ie their characters, as collateral.

According to the report, CitiBank gave Marvel Enterprises a $60 million line of credit in 2000 that was reduced to $40 million later in the year. CitiBank has demanded a minimum monthly repayment of $1 million as of the last busines day in June. CitiBank have also cut off Marvel`s line of credit, leaving the company in a dire financial situation.

Having posted eight consecutive quarters of losses, and with only approximately $14 million cash on hand (according to the most recent SEC filing), it appears that the future of Marvel is in doubt. If the company cannot meet CitiBank`s demands, then the result could be a forclosure on Marvel`s forty years worth of copyrights and trademarks.

While I'm not a big Marvel fan, I'd hate to see this happen.

2. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Well, this has been a long time and coming. Is Time Warner in the market for these copyrights or is this just a scenario question only? Somebody will pay good money for these copyrights, that's for sure. Too much potential for money is locked up in those properties.

Heck, just have Time Warner buy them out, and then you can consolodate Marvel and DC and have one mega comic book company ruling the world! Probably won't happen, but that's what it would feel like if they did.

As much as I don't like the idea of Time Warner getting their hands on it, it would be better than just letting these characters go to waste. But is anybody else interested in buying the company? And why would they want to after that fiasco in the 90s?

3. Mr. Obsession

Mr. Obsession Active Member

Time-Warner & Marvel?

Well, it would be interesting. I could see Warner investing a large chunk of capital in Marvel. But if the were to buy all of it?

Marvel would probably keep it's identity, but we'd see a lot more crossover titles and more "Just imagine of Stan Lee created..." type projects.

Warner's would have a lot more comic titles to play around with at the movies.

And Warnerbros Animation would probably be in hog heaven. I would love to see someone like Dini behind the next Spiderman cartoon or Timm moving on to work on a true X-men series after JL. And on a plus side any Marvel animated series done around the same time would have a similar animation style (one of my biggest gripes against the 90's Marvel 'toons) and would mostly be done in the same continuity. Plus we'd see a lot more Marvel stuff on kidsWB and CN.

4. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

that's true

Marvels animation projects would definately benefit from being in the hands of Warner. That would be something I would look forward to immensely. That animated Silver Surfer movie just might happen yet!

5. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

It would be great to see Timm do X-Men. His X-Men sketches at www.brucetimme.com are great, and they could definatly apply well to the show. And, we'd see those Marvel shows jump to CN, which would mean less Scooby-Doo. I don't care how bad they are, they are just better than Scooby.

6. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Glad to see them back!

I am glad to see Bruce Timm's drawings like this back up on the net! [​IMG]

I haven't had a chance to completely look at that site, as I am typing this at work but does it also include his Star Wars sketches (the losers at Dark Horse rejected his Star Wars comic book, the LOSERS[​IMG] )

I had contact with a dealer in collectibles some years back and he had an original drawing from Bruce Timm, right around the time he was becoming to be well known. I had tried and tried to buy it from him and that guy was on the fence for quite a while, but he decided to keep it. What a bummer!

[​IMG]

7. Inque

Inque Liquid Darkness

[color=6666cc] i'd guess it be cool, becuase then there would be no huge dc/marvel rivalry. and you won't get weird looks on a dc board if ya like marvel stuff.[/color]

8. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

I thought the rivalry had died down? It surely can't be as bad as it was in the 60s and 70s. I am sure both companies would retain their identites, tho, and still be in competition with each other. It would be no different than Viacom owning a ton of TV networks all at once.

9. Mr. Obsession

Well after thinking about this I'm going to have to change part of my previous answer. With the recent actions of the AOLTimeWarnerTurner(insert whatever else goes in the title) upper management I actually doubt that they'd stay separate entities for long. They would probably be merged in to a giant publishing division and hopefully it would be a slow process so it could be done right. And then if that happened think of the massive project it would be to merge to collective Marvel and DC universes together, permanently! :eek:

10. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

No way

IF Time Warner buys out Marvel (and I still haven't seen any kind of confirmation that they are even in the market for them) I think they would even be wise enough to realize what a bad marketing movie that would be. Horrendously bad. I'm not saying it would never happen, as I have no idea how Time Warner would handle such a purchase, but I am quite positive that even they would realize it would be such a bad idea and just let the two imprints continue on in their own unverses.

Could you imagine what they would have to do to consolodate the two universes? A CRISIS ON INFINITE SECRET WARS maxi series would be on the horizon soon!

11. Mr. Obsession

Re: No way

I don't know, the current TimeWarner upper management has been doing some strange things lately.

"A CRISIS ON INFINITE SECRET WARS" I like it. :p If something like this ever did happen could you imagine the best writers and artist that DC and Marvel have on staff writing this maxi series that would create a balanced universe? I think we may have stumbled on to the holy grail of fanboy wet dreams. :D