What if Ren and Stimpy came back..Into Hartman Style?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by brickrrb2, Feb 23, 2014.

1. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

I mean they have to cut back on gross and sick. And modify Ren and Stimpy's characters a bit. But who'd be up for it

2. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Uh,,,,,,no, if the Spike version was awful, this one sounds even worst. Ren and Stimpy is done, no need to revive again.

3. J21697

J21697 Active Member

Hartman style? I'd probably jump over a bridge.

4. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

Not me. It already came back as that god-awful Adult Party version, so I think that it is best that it didn't come back at all.

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

As someone who wasn't a fan of the original Ren & Stimpy, has never been a Butch Hartman fan and has no desire to see any of the old Nicktoons revived, I gotta put my vote into the 'No' box as well.

6. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Feel Happy!

I would rather see a marathon of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles than a revival of Ren & Stimpy. So count me out.

And Ren & Stimpy was revived before. I've never really watched Ren & Stimpy a lot when I was younger and I wasn't even a fan of it, but when it was revived in 2003 on Spike (then known as TNN), it was nothing more than a unfunny, stupid, gross out attempt to be like the original, only aiming towards at an adult audience. Guess what happened? It eventually bombed in ratings, received negative reception and was yanked out of the air after a few weeks. People hated it and it was to never be seen in the light of day again.

And even if RaS was revived now, I will never see a Butch Hartman version of it. He'll just ruined the quality even more, just like he did with The Fairly OddParents and T.U.F.F. Puppy recently.

This, along with the older Nicktoons shouldn't come back at it. They had their run. Reviving them will just lead to fans complaining and ranting even more about the possible low qualities of those shows. What Nick should be doing is looking forward and create high-quality Nicktoons that have the same vein as the 90s Nicktoons, not going into the WABAC machine and bringing back Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Rugrats, etc. Nick doesn't aim at nostalgia fans or adults, it aims at kids and teens. Years come by, thus using the need for new programming. It's a circle of life.

7. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    No older Nicktoon revivals. Just No. N - O. Peace.

8. CartoonFreak95

CartoonFreak95 New Member

Ironically Bob Camp wanted to bring back Ren and Stimpy around 2011 and even co-created a Facebook group to prove to Nickelodeon that there's a demand for the show. The group didn't really go over as well as it had planned though.

If RnS were to be brought back (again), people would be hating on it and complaining it's not as good as the original. They already did that with APC. Rugrats, Fairly Odd Parents and SpongeBob were revived and their revivals were met with pretty bad results (Rugrats to a lesser extent nowadays because the later episodes have appeared to have been reevaluated recently. Some people still don't like the later episodes though).

9. PC!

PC! lolwut?

John K's style of humor is completely different than Butch Hartman's. It wouldn't work any better than if John K did a revival of, say, Danny Phantom.

10. Dixie_Chick89

Dixie_Chick89 Clemont fan

No thanks. I'd rather R&S not come back at all than see it revived in Hartman's style.

11. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

Isn't that basically T.U.F.F. Puppy?

well, would probably still be better than Danny Phantom season 3

12. Looney Tunes Fan

Looney Tunes Fan Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

If Butch did it, the show would be ruined, imo. Besides, it's best to let the dead stay dead unless a show was prematurely ended (such as Hey Arnold or Invader Zim).

13. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

What is this I don't even.

14. CowBobRanchPants

CowBobRanchPants New Member

Definitely no. The Fairly OddParents, Danny Phantom and T.U.F.F. Puppy formula is waaay different than Ren and Stimpy's. If the Hartman crew tackled on R&S, there would be running phrases galore, music at every turn and etc. That's fine if you like Hartman's shows, but R&S wasn't raised that way. Plus, while I do tremendously admire how Hartman ran his shows back in the day, I'm not a fan of the newer FOPs or T.U.F.F. That's what I would be scared of, that R&S would reflect the current state of the falling of FOP. Many satire comedies today look at this dog and cat as an inspiration of comedies that broke the mold with their sarcastic, playful and retro, unique style that millions still treasure today. They would be ruining the magic that we all love. Nick already has a lot of people hating the channel right now and if they changed up the formula, many people would probably demand it be canceled. We don't need any more flame wars.

15. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

The Adult Party Cartoon was virtually DOA when it launched on Spike in 2003. I watched the first show and decided, never again. Then again, John K. misfired twice with the Ripping Friends (Fox, [adult swim]) in less than a calendar year before that.

16. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

em I the only one who enjoyed some of the APC episodes?

17. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

I don't think applying Hartman's style would do anything for it other than give John K. and his online flunkies fits. John K has occasionally used low quality Fairly OddParents screenshots taken during fastpaced musical number sequences as an example of "new cartoon style = bad", he is not a very big fan of Hartman or boldline styles in general back when they were hit and I doubt his feelings toward Hartman have changed much in recent years. On top of that, Nickelodeon already has a cartoon that relies on disgusting excrement centered humor in Sanjay and Craig.

Actually, I would like to see it now that I think of it, if only to have another reason to laugh at John K. Other than that though, there are plenty of better cartoons from that era that actually have a demand for a revival, and Hartman should be kept out of the same building if those ever come back. He shouldn't even be allowed in the same building as his own cartoons production to be honest.

18. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

APC had its moments, but overall it lacked the "classic cartoon gone wrong" feel that made The Ren & Stimpy Show stand out. Having a tone-downed Ren and Stimpy in FOP style would ruin that feel even more, but if it makes John K. explode I'll be down with it.

19. TheSponge

TheSponge Member

If Ren and Stimpy did come back they should just use the original format from The Ren and Stimpy Show so it's not like the new SpongeBob or Odd Parents.

20. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Me every Thursday

Uh........like others no, I like The Ren and Stimpy Show and Hartman's work, but I wouldn't want to see this happen. Especially after that abomination called Ren and Stimpy: Adult Party Cartoon *cringes*

But at the same time, I would love to see this happen just to drive John K. up the wall for a reason I won't explain (but I'm sure people should know what I'm talking about).