1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

What If Kennedy Cartoons Did Animaniacs?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by SB20xx, Oct 24, 2004.

1. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

As we all know, Warner Bros. dropped Kennedy Cartoons as an animation subcontractor after the first season of Tiny Toons, and it was never used for any WB show again, instead working for the Disney shows.

But..... WHAT IF Kennedy had been used for Animaniacs? Now before you say, "It would've been horrible! I don't even want to think about it!", let me explain. Suppose you take the fluid, bouncy animation from Kennedy's earlier episodes like Gang Busters and Best O'Plucky Duck Day, not the crappy, choppy stuff from their later episodes like Who Bopped Bugs Bunny. I actually think that style would fit in rather well with Animaniacs. When you think about it, the animation was a lot more free and wild on that show as opposed to Tiny Toons*, so Kennedy animation wouldn't seem so out-of-place. In addition, the Warners are fairly easy to draw and less detailed than the Tiny Toons, so Kennedy's roundish models wouldn't feel as out-of-place.

Then you factor in the fact that Animaniacs was the first WB show to utilize multiple different studios for one episode- in the course of 22 minutes, you might have two TMS shorts, an Akom, and a StarToons. So even if Kennedy has a difficult job getting through a full episode, they might put out better work if they only had to worry about one short per episode. For example, I rather enjoyed the Bonkers short "Goldijitters & the 3 Bobcats". Sure, the animation was all over the place, but it was atleast smooth and omitted a high energy that the short required.

So what do you think?

*TMS always looked good in Tiny Toons, but remember that Season 1 had its fare share of crap as well- Encore's three episodes, the later Kennedy episodes that were lumpy and ugly to the 10th degree, Freelance looks like it's perpetually in slow motion (even though I like that particular studio, for other reasons), no StarToons yet, etc.

2. DaffyDonaldQW93

If Kennedy Cartoons animated "Animaniacs", there could be a chance of the Warners shuffling their feet like crazy.

As supposedly evidented in the opening of DiC's "The Wacky World Of Tex Avery", which is rumored to be animated by Glen Kennedy, the squash and stretch would randomly make me think of scrambled eggs if Animaniacs had that evolved style.

3. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm surprised people don't mention that Kennedy did stuff for hanna-barbera too. Like a little bit of the Jetsons movie, or several episodes of A Pup Named Scooby Doo (their crazy dance sequence).

Since I do like some of Kennedy's work, I wouldn't mind it at all. I think the Warner's would look hilarious in that style. Slappy Squirrel and several of the others too.
    Pinky and the Brain or Mindy and Buttons...maybe not so much.

4. cognitofalcon

cognitofalcon G'night evry' body!!

It might be kind of refreshing for Mindy and Buttons, considering it would be coming off of akin animation.

5. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

Kinda off-topic, but did TMS ever animate on Freakazoid? I never watched much of the show but have been curious of the show's main animation contributors.

6. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Nope, Freakazoid! was animated by Koko Enterprises, Seoul Movie, and Dong Yang, along with a bunch of other assisting studios. Animal House did the intro.

In 1995, TMS was mostly focused on the other WB show, Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries.

7. Cartoon_central

8. Narfpinky

Narfpinky ~splash~
    Staff Member Moderator

[Holy threadbump history, Batman -- This I'll accept for it's relevant.]

The bold eyebrows make Yakko look like Groucho Marx, but I don't think Dot would want to look like Groucho, too. ;-)

9. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

I don't know about that. Kennedy didn't draw the Tiny Toons to THAT kind of extreme.

Actually, I think that might look more kinda like Butch Hartman (no offense intended to the man).

EDIT: After looking at it some more, mmmmmmaybe...