What If Disney Quietly Tries To Bring Back 2D Animation?

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by TsWade2, Oct 17, 2017.

1. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

Ever since I've heard Gigantic got cancelled and I'm still waiting what new movie is going to replaced, I was kind of curious, what if Disney quietly tries to bring back 2d animation? I don't know why, but even though I tried to move forward from 2d animation and tried not to hope that'll happen, but it got me wondering since some people say they're not doing hand drawn animated features for now, maybe there's a chance that we might see Disney do hand drawn animation again. But they might try in a different form like Paperman or Sergio Pablos's Klaus. I mean, I don't think they need pencil and paper to bring back 2d animation, they should use computer tablets to animate 2d animation, surely it might work faster than on paper. But I don't know, maybe I was thinking about it too much. I'll try not to to get my hopes about it, but if my suspicion is correct, I would be surprise. I'm not posting this for my obsession, but it's just a thought.

#1 TsWade2, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  2. Hulkwummy

Hulkwummy New Member

I hope they do, I getting tired of CGI animated movies.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Elijah Abrams

Elijah Abrams Just deal with it!

I was going for Disney making a traditionally-animated movie that would be styled like "Klaus", Sergio Pablos' upcoming movie, where there is a lot of lighting that would make it look like it was made in CGI. Nobody would know the difference!

• Like Like x 1
  4. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

They could go back to it that is if 2D movies return to trend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Me too though I do see Disney continuing to do CGI animated films should they decide to do more traditional animated films.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

6. ThunDun

ThunDun New Member

Yep, they would definitely have to keep a balance- theres no way they could commit to wholly releasing 2D animation (I dont think). Having said that, there are so many innovations happening which could mean really big, cool things for animation its totally plausible they would invest in exploring where it could go. And there's definitely an audience for it!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Someone needs to push a new 2D film for sure. The recent MLP movie showed how fantastic Toonboom can actually be, and it's part of why I'm disappointed that it isn't doing particularly well.

The thing about CG animation is, all the upcoming films basically look the same to me now, and I don't even really see what new advances even could be made with it at this point. You'd have to be really stylized like the Book of Life to stand out in any real way.

I really don't understand why no one important has ever thought of allowing them to co-exist. I mean, really.

8. AdrenalineRush1996

I agree. CGI and traditional animated films should co-exist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

What makes it a real shame that any attempts for that to happen still ended up failing due to misconceptions.

Seriously, someone needs to push traditional animation back to theaters somehow. One mega-hit could go a very long way in encouraging other studios to try it. The problem is, how would that even feasibly happen?

10. AdrenalineRush1996

Sadly, we do not know why.

11. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

I agree. I think that one is a good game changer for 2d animation. There's one problem though, I've heard is going to be release in 2019 and Frozen 2 is going to be release in 2019 as well. And Frozen is a big money maker and everybody is obsess of that movie. This could be challenging. But, I hope Klaus is making money too and prove to Disney or those greedy higher ups that their wrong about hand drawn animation.

12. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

It would fail worse then the last time they tried. They tried to bring back Traditional movies with princess and the Frog and hyped up a new traditional animated film every two years. Sadly PatF and Pooh under preformed and the plan was scrapped. If they tried that again but did it quietly? It would be a bigger failure.

13. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

I'm not guaranteed that Disney did bring back hand drawn animation, it's just a silly thought of mine. And what you said is sad, but true. But in my opinion, if they did bring back hand drawn animation, I suggest they do it in a different approach like what Sergio Pablos did to Klaus or use that meander animation they been using lately. And maybe find the right story.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Another advance they could do with CG is making it look realistic. Look at the Batman Arkham Game trailers. The one for Arkham Origins looks especially lifelike.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

The only way Disney could even consider bringing back 2D animation for theaters on a more consistent basis is for a non-TV show based movie from a major American studio (like Dreamworks or Sony) to produce a film that's both critically and financially successful. TV show based features are higher budget than the show's they're based on, but are lower budget than those from major studios, hence why a major studio has to take a risk.

16. AdrenalineRush1996

Or release it at a date to avoid strong competition (The Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh didn't do well partly because they came around the same time as James Cameron's Avatar and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2).

The last traditionally animated film to have been in the top 10 highest grossing films of the year was The Simpsons Movie, which was the eighth grossing film of 2007.

17. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

I
    I don't want to complain, but I blame Avatar, Alvin and the Chipmunks Squeakquel, and The Smurfs for ruining Disney's chance to bring back hand drawn animation. Of course, I can't blame Harry Potter, because they pick the date first before Disney did. Now I have another thought, what if Disney is trying to sabotage hand drawn animation to prove John Lasseter that it's dead art form? But, I guess I'm being nonsensical again.

18. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

I'm all for balance between 2D and 3D, but only if the following is realized:

1) You can't rid of CGI; just reduce it and, like I said, give 2D a proper chance, alongside it, like the rest of the world is keen on doing right now.

2) Come up with original ideas - don't just make 2D films based off of popular IPs at the moment like MLP; not everyone likes that stuff (especially not me, TBH with all of you, personally.).

3) Remember, balance and original ideas. I can't stress this enough.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Didn't Alvin and Smurfs do badly in theaters? How is it their fault for ruining Disney's chance to bring back hand drawn animation?

20. AdrenalineRush1996

The first Smurfs film did well, the sequel did badly, hence why we got a reboot recently.