1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to Looney Tunes on TV?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Mavericker, Jul 20, 2008.

1. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

The worst thing about this is that there's an ENTIRE GENERATION OF KIDS out there that have no idea who the hell the Looney Tunes are, or think of them only as "babies" or "Loonatics".

2. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

I have a coworker in his 20s who looked at me puzzled when I mentioned the name Barney Rubble. He'd never heard the name before. It's not just Looney Tunes that suffer this disappearance from popular culture.

Part of the blame is TV saturation. There are too many choices now. In our day, you were bound to see the same thing as everyone else at some point. So sure, even though they were shows before our time, we'd see I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, The Flintstones, Rocky & Bullwinkle, George of the Jungle (the real one -- not the stupid one), Dudley Do-Right, etc., etc... These days, it's too easy for a kid to flip to something else -- something new and fresh and horrifyingly stinky but at least it's zippy zappy and not something their parents like, 'cause you know, it's uncool to like anything that has successfully entertained people for generations.

3. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

I've long been saying that TW should just dissolve Turner, and then there would be no licensing issues.
    But I hope they do not go back to dividing the library, with the post-48's floating out there on who knows what other network's schedule. They shoudl also get the A,blin produces shows back. It was nice for that flash in the pan period all that stuff could be found on CN. But the airing was horrible, and it was in no time that the Ambin shows were pulled and sent back to Nick (where they seemed to be in limbo anyway), and the Classic WB shorts, which increased to the full 1000+ as ABC's contract ran out, at the same time, dwindled down to nothing on CN and BOOM.

If TW and Turner are such and iron and clay mixture, then they should just swap: WB takes the pre-48 lirary to keeo with the others, in exchange for giving Turner the pre-92 DC/JLA library, to keep with the rest of the HB and similar animation. The post-92 stuff is like an entirely different genre, so if any of the libraries have to be divided, let that one be.

4. Style

Style The Green Style Returns

Whatever the case may be, add my voice to the list of "travesty that they don't air it on TV anymore."

5. PeppeRaskell1

PeppeRaskell1 Peanutized!!!

I'd like to see them uncut and uncensored, too; something you CAN'T do when you show them on a kid's network.

6. PF9

PF9 Member

Maybe Turner and WB should hire execs who are big LT fans

Another idea is that WB should charge a rights fee to air the post-48 cartoons only to competing networks (i.e. those owned by other companies), and let CN air them without having to pay a rights fee.