1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to Looney Tunes on TV?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Mavericker, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Mavericker

Mavericker Active Member

What happened? They don't show classic Looney Tunes on Cartoon Network or even on Boomerang anymore- the only Looney Tunes-related stuff they show is a movie or special.

Did both stations lose the rights to show the old cartoons?

2. Jon Cooke

Jon Cooke GAC!

The short answer is, yes, they no longer have the rights. Warner Bros. Television and Cartoon Network/Boomerang never came to a new agreement to run the Looney Tunes once CN's exclusive TV rights expired at the end of 2005. I have heard some rumors since of the LTs finding a new television home, but nothing has happened yet.

CN and Boomerang could technically run the "pre-1948" cartoons which Turner has the rights to, but even those disappeared off Boomerang over one year ago.

3. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Could Toon Disney or ABC Family get the Looney Tunes rights? Or maybe Nicktoons Network?

4. Jon Cooke

Jon Cooke GAC!

Um, anything is possible, I guess.

I know WB has been actively trying to sell the Looney Tunes TV rights to possible networks, but nothing has happened yet. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

5. Mavericker

Mavericker Active Member

Isn't it also because WB released all their classic stuff to DVD and home video?

6. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Even if that were the case it is very hypocritical, only because you have plenty of shows on DVD and still air frequently on tv.

7. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Nicktoons Network is a possibility, but come on, man. Do you really think that Toon Disney or ABC Family (which is owned by Disney) would ever carry a Looney Tunes show? WB and Disney are corporate rivals; the boys at Termite Terrace made a semi-regular habit of lampooning Disney. The occasional Looney Tunes movie is about as much Looney Tunes as we should expect to see on a Disney owned channel.

8. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Haven't we discussed this before? You know, just because Toon Disney picked up "Pinky and the Brain", that doesn't necessarily mean that all Warner Bros. animated properties will be moving to Disney-owned networks.

Nicktoons Network does seem a bit more plausible, though, since they did carry "Tiny Toon Adventures" and "Animaniacs" in the past, and the Looney Tunes did run on Nickelodeon for more than a decade, so there's some precedent there.

9. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Nickelodeon used to air Looney Tunes from 1988 until 1999!

10. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Which proves absolutely nothing. Nickelodeon isn't owned by Disney, now is it? Nick or Nicktoons Network is a possibility (as Nicktoons did air Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain for a time), but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any of those previously mentioned WB shows to come to Toon Disney.

Nick clearly doesn't own the broadcasting rights to A! or P&tB anymore, and I don't see them getting them again anytime soon.

11. Infusions

Infusions Showers in Spokane

Maybe Warner Bros. wants to keep it off the air so the DVDs can cash in some money.

I'm not really sure on the whole biz knowledge and stuff.

So I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

12. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it's simply out of biased feelings. As mentioned in my post above, many shows get regular TV airings despite being available on DVD. I think that networks just use the "It's on DVD" excuse just because they don't like a show. I mean if it's sold in season format, then it obviously has a high enough of an audience to air on television.

13. Jon Cooke

Jon Cooke GAC!

I am sure WB would much rather have the characters constantly being introduced to new generations of kids like they were in the past. After all, no kid is going to beg for all that Bugs Bunny and Tweety merchandise (and DVDs) if they have no idea who the characters are.

14. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

A cash cow for WB to keep Looney Tunes on DVD (with Blu-Ray to come in the future possibly) rather than on American TV, huh?

15. Silverstar

As Jon pointed out, I'm sure given the overall choice, the Powers That Be would rather have Bugs and the gang on TV than off of it. The Looney Tunes aren't exactly off of American TV by choice; IIRC, there's a bit of conflict going on between WB and Turner over paying a fee for the broadcast rights to air them.

And that's a complete shame; the sad truth is that because of what's going on behind closed doors, some kids are going to grow up not knowing who Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and Porky Pig are.

16. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Maybe there could be LOONEY TUNES ON DEMAND from Warner Bros. - All classic shorts in a block!

17. Silverstar

There could be, but that would involve putting them on the air, which isn't going to happen until this little legal fee matter is taken care of.

That also wouldn't be an asset to people who don't have On Demand, like me. I'm a DirecTV subscriber, we don't get On Demand.

18. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Then we wouldn't get a WARNER BROS. ON DEMAND service for classic Warner Bros. shows and cartoons!

19. Silverstar

What are you talking about?

Seriously, I haven't got the foggiest clue as to what you're getting at here.

20. Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo Gatchaman G-6

Does it matter at all when most of the classic WB toons would be edited to hell? Oh, let's edit out Daffy swallowing the match cause kids are stupid enough to do what he does. I'd rather they only be on dvd uncut than neutered on some kid's channel.