What happened to Klasky Csupo?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Uncle_Lina, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle_Lina

Uncle_Lina Rubba chicken

I remember in the late 90s and early 2000s Nickelodeon was like the Klasky Csupo channel with Rugrats, Wild Thornberries, As Told By Ginger, Rocket Power and reruns of Ahhh! Real Monsters and later we had All Grown Up, an upside down version of the Muppet Babies formula with the Rugrats. Now though I barely see any of their shows, I don't even think any Nick channels rerun any of these shows.

2. Dub

Dub BOB-OMB!

And with any luck they will stay gone and never glut the industry again with thier terrible art style and derivative storytelling forever and ever and ever and ever.

3. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

they weren't that bad the charters themselve were good maybe they'll come back with a better looking show

4. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"

Gabor Csupo directed Bridge to Teribithia, so he's apparently moved on to directing live-action movies.

The first few seasons of Rugrats were not only cleverly written (which is apparently the doing of Paul Germain and a group of writers that eventually left), but the character designs weren't that ugly. The show was created around the same time Klasky-Csupo was the animation house for The Simpsons, so I could see some of Matt Groening (whose art style wasn't the lushest but at least was appealing and easy on the eyes) rubbing off on Rugrats. Even the lesser-quality followups aren't too ugly.

Duckman was adapting Everett Peck's art style to animation, and the K-C art actually fit the gritty nature of the show, likewise an uglier art style worked with AAAAAHHHHHH! Real Monsters.

It's everything from the Jumangi cartoon onward that goes south. Not only is the art style of those shows utterly repulsive, but since there's nothing in the shows that compliments the art, it makes them painful to watch. And the weak writing doesn't help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2008
  5. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Ten Years on TZ!

It's not really the in-house KC style as much as it was crappy character design. I think the Rugrats characters looked pretty good to be honest, and even today I rather like the designs. However, the stuff from Ginger, Rocket Power and especially Thornberries insults my eyes. Ugh.

6. livingfruitvirus

livingfruitvirus No! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

The studio did it to themselves. Pumping out several mediocre shows that all looked the same, while also treating their artists like crap and refusing to pay them overtime, and Gabor Csupo refusing to sign a union contract ever. For a studio that makes cartoons, they sure can't stand cartoonists.

In 2006 they dissolved the remainder of their 401(k) program.

7. Lavenderpaw

Lavenderpaw Essense Of Love

Hey,I liked those shows.;) :sweat:

8. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

Weren't they a marrried couple writing team who are now divorced? So I think they are history now, but maybe they can make a comeback, but I doubt it. I wouldn't want to work with my ex, no matter how much they might still be friends, it might be best to just leave it at that.

Of course divorce doesn't equal end of business partnership, but when does that type of arragement work?

9. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

It's funny how that ever since Nick stopped hiring them to produce shows, the company suffered tremendously.

10. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

Yes, since Nick was completely and utterly the only channel that ordered and aired series from them. As for what Klasky-Csupo is doing now, they are working on several animated pilots to pitch around to networks. :sweat: Unlike their generic design that they are/were famous for, these are all in different animation styles. Here are the pilots they are working on:

• Ace Bogart, Space Ape
    • Big Babies
    • Commander Bunsworth
    • Ronnie Biddles
    • Chicken Town
    • Grampa and Julie, Shark Hunters
    • Sugarless
    • Zeek and Leo
    • Wiener Squad
    • Rollin' Rock Starz
    • Twinkle
    • Ricky Z
    • Junkyard Teddies
    • Little Freaks
    I hope this answers your question...

11. Hiya Animation

Hiya Animation Animation lover!!!

Yeah, those shows all look repulsive. Rocket Power is probably the least repulsive looking though.

12. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

I would hasten to say that all of the above led to the demise of Klasky/Csupo. By the end of their tenure on Nick they had clearly gotten into a rut creatively with shows that looked like endless carbon copies of one another, treating your workers like dirt is never good for business, and it doesn't matter how friendly you want to say you are, it's NEVER a good idea to work day to day with your ex.

13. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Well, Klasky Csupo did also make that Ronald McDonald cartoon for video, and the designs to that was horrible.

Also I guess since Nick really crippled them, that's probably why they didn't want to be an interview in that "Not Just Cartoons: Nicktoons" book.

I'm not surprised no one wants to pick up any shows they're pitching. They become so famous for grotesque looking shows, they don't want to bother with them.

14. btv

btv New Member

The last I heard about them was that they were developing a show about a family who owns a bakery but had a double life as secret agents. At least, that's what I heard.

I remember thinking 'well, that's not going to pan out' and hey, here we are.

15. Infusions

Infusions Showers in Spokane

The designs made by KC always looked like the characters were melting.

I never understood how an artist was able to "get used" to drawing them.

16. The Irishman

The Irishman Tall. Irish. Animation Anomaly

Which was kind of ironic considering John K. had a lot to say.

17. The Nameless

The Nameless Demoted Regular

I agree with livingfruitvirus; crappy shows combined with poor worker treatment probably killed them. (By "crappy shows" I mean fare like Rocket Power and All Grown Up).

At least I know that horrid closing logo of their's is dead.

18. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

Yep, all thanks to Nickelodeon. But I don't get it. So, Nick didn't renew the Rugrats. Doesn't mean you have to get mad and stop producing cartoons for the channel. :sweat:

19. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

I always hated when they changed their logo. The original version with the pan over the letters and that catchy short ditty... those were the good times. Then they changed it to an ugly mouth saying "Klasky Csupo" in Mac speak instead? Well, I guess it's appropriate, considering the shows themselves became ugly.

20. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Klasky Csupo even did pre Simpsons animated shorts for the FOX Network's Tracey Ullman Show. Did Klasky Csupo even do the animation part of the 1984 Cyndi Lauper music video for "She Bop"? I think they did...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.