1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

what happened to classic cartoons & movies on tv?!

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Mikurotoro92, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

ok ill admit it i hate what tv has become! where are the classic cartoons & movies like in the 80's & 90's? not on disney,nick,or even boomerrang which is supposed to be dedicated to classic cartoons & movies! gone are the days of vault disney & saturday morning cartoons/movies on abc,nbc,fox,etc & here are the days of reality tv it's sickening! what happened to tv? forget about abolishing the sponge what we REALLY need to get rid of is reality tv! who's with me?

2. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

The Internet happened, that's probably one of the biggest factors.

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Here's the overview:

Most of the so-called classic cartoons and TV shows are currently under the umbrellas of big corporations, who'd rather keep them exclusive to the networks and venues that they own rather than release them to other networks and syndication. The syndicated market is all but dead in the US for a similar reason: most of the original scripted programming that at one time would likely go in syndication now goes to cable and satellite networks and are kept exclusive.

The broadcast network SatAM and syndicated weekday afternoon blocks disappeared because measly 2 to 4-hour blocks couldn't compete with 24-hour kids' cable channels, the internet, home video, and online gaming. There are too many other options out there for kids to really need broadcast network blocks anymore.

Retro or archive networks like Boomerang and early CN abandoned their classic/archive vault formats once it became evident that retro has a limited shelf life; simply put, people eventually get tired of endless reruns and canceled reruns in general don't get the big ratings that original programs do.

Reality TV is cheap to produce and these shows, while I'm not a fan of these shows myself, they get consistently high ratings, which is why you see so many of them on the tube nowadays.

4. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I don't like reality TV either. It's junk food for the eyes, but reality TV isn't going to go away as long as people keep coming back for more. In any case, abolishing reality shows wouldn't bring the "classic" cartoons back to television. The only way that network would start airing old-school cartoons again would be if the Powers That Be thought that a substantial profit could be made by doing so.

Networks and network affiliates air whatever makes them the most money. TV stations make more money running news shows an infomercials than they would running old cartoons, so they run news shows and infomercials. First run syndication is all but but dead in this country, and local affiliates are at a loss since most the old-school cartoons have since been scooped up by big corporations who'd rather keep them exclusive to their own companies and prefer to release them on DVD than to run them on TV stations.Retro TV channels are endangered species now because nostalgia programming doesn't make a lot of money and it's hard for network executives to line up sponsors for a channel that doesn't show anything new.

• Winner Winner x 1
    #4 Goldstar Neo, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  5. Rabbitearsblog

Basically what everyone else said. The big companies want to keep the classic cartoons to themselves rather than release them on DVDs or just air them regularly on their networks. The only way I can think of that classic cartoons will come back to TV is if they aired some of the classic cartoons on Netflix and see how that will go with anyone who watches Netflix.

6. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

I've long accepted many of the classics aren't coming back to tv anytime soon, and I can accept that.

What I can't is them not airing, what could arguable be considered 'modern classics'. Now I don't mind them airing things from Dreamworks, Illumination, or Sony. But where's anything from the other lesser known animation companies? Gkids alone, has Song of the Sea, Secret of Kells, Ernest and Celestine, Nocturna, A Cat in Paris, all lesser known movies that I'm sure wouldn't cost anywhere near as much as anything from Dreamworks would. Even the clear bad movies seem to getting the shaft, which on paper seems like a good thing but it's leaving the whole broadcast schedule sterile across the board. Don't get me wrong I love things like The Lego Movie or the original Shrek, but I really would like some more variety when it comes to scheduling.

I don't want to be "that" guy, but I remember when Cartoon Network aired things like Gay Purr-ee or Twice Upon a Time. Things most people nowadays haven't even heard of.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #6 AnotherRandomGuy, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  7. Rabbitearsblog

I remembered when Cartoon Network aired Gay Purr-ee and Twice Upon a Time! I wish Cartoon Network would start airing more obscure cartoons on their networks like Peter Pan and the Pirates.