1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

What guilty pleasures do you have when it comes to cartoons?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Eek!Swimmer1623, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Eek!Swimmer1623

Eek!Swimmer1623 New Member

For me it's

Video Game Cartoons (with the exception of Sonic SATAM and Sonic Boom because those actually legimitely good and Pokemon since that one is decent). This includes Donkey Kong Country, The Mario Cartoons, Kirby: Right Back At Ya!, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic X, The Legend of Zelda, and Captain N. These are cartoons that I once thought were masterpieces, but after rewatching them, I realized that they were awful. However, the reason they are guilty pleasures is because unlike other bad series such as Da Boom Crew and Coconut Fred, I get a real kick out of these shows for the cheapness and corny dialogue. My favorite is The Super Mario Bros. Super Show because the show is so bad, it always resorts to pasta jokes when they need to think up of "clever" dialogue. It's so cringy and bad that I can't help but laugh. Also love The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog for the weirdness and oddness that the show brings and Eggman has me laughing at his corny dialogue.

2. Gear3dGryph0n

Gear3dGryph0n Active Member

One for me is Rock-a-Doodle, if I can find it. I enjoy the visuals and the character designs even if the story is all over the place.

My biggest one has to be (unpopular opinion alert) Rankin-Bass Christmas specials. Since I grew up watching and enjoying them like everyone else did, the nostalgia factor is strong. However, I find them overbearingly cute and cheesy and I mostly watch them ironically to make fun of them, even the sacred original Rudolph.

Also, I really feel weird admitting this but I was one of those people who watched TUFF Puppy because I thought some of the character designs looked good, especially Kitty Katswell who was quite a looker. I think it could've been a better show by some metrics.

3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Fanboy and Chum Chum: I thought it was good for mindless entertainment.

Uncle Grandpa: see above

The 7D: I was completely obsessed with this around 2014.

Rock a Doodle: so bad it's good at its finest.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Winx Club is probably the closest to a guilty pleasure show that I have. Granted, I stopped watching it in the middle of season five and I've only seen bits of other seasons, but I still remember liking it for the first four seasons. I think it was a combination of hearing familiar voice actors in the 4Kids' dub and being just cute romantic fluff. It wasn't even really good romantic fluff and the character designs always kind of bothered me, particularly for the girls, but it was cute enough for me to watch it. I know that it's really popular in Italy, but I'm still kind of surprised that they're still making new seasons, especially when I thought that the girls graduated after the first movie.

5. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Family Guy and American Dad. I never let anyone I know in meatspace know I watch those shows.

For kids shows, I would never watch the 2003 version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with anyone I know, even if it's awesome. Because the theme song is embarrassingly bad.

Live-action guilty pleasures that I keep to myself include Boy Meets World and Game Of Thrones.

6. TheMisterManGuy

TheMisterManGuy Active Member

Hi-Hi Puffy Ami-Yumi - This show is poorly animated, cheaply written, and the only reason it was created was to answer the question of who sung the opening theme to Teen Titans... That being said, I find the chemistry between the animated versions of the duo to be entertaining, they're also the only decently drawn characters in the show. Plus, I always like it when Janice Kawaye and her cute, candy-pitched voice pop up, especially in a leading role.

#6 TheMisterManGuy, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  7. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

Tons of Disney stuff far below my age range. A lot Disney Afternoon cartoons for example, especially Duck Tales (original) and Tale Spin.

Bambi II
    It's Bambi and it's a DTV sequel, but I think it's endearing and well made in spite of being somewhat cloying and an obvious cash in on an iconic film (if an effortful one).

Add most of the Winnie the Pooh cartoons in there too. Again cutesy cash cow stuff, but very endearing and most of the characters are quite humorous. Disney tend to do the franchise more good than most of their other stuff.

8. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

One of the only reasons to watch that show was for Kitty Katswell. Hartman had a potential winner with TUFF Puppy, but relied too much on Dudley's stupidity and the same few amount of villains who were an actual threat at the start, but turned into bumbling morons as the show regressed.

9. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

None for me as I don't believe in such a mindset, unfortunately. Without saying examples, I either find something awesome, above average, middling, disappointing, or crappy..... And that's all there is to it.

10. Nodog

Nodog Particle Man

- I like the Games episodes of Ren and Stimpy.

- I like a good amount of Simpsons episodes after season 11 (where everyone seems to agree that the show went downhill at that point)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I don't, but I will concede they are 100 times better than Adult Party Cartoon.
    I like them too, although I am unashamed of that fact.