1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

What exactly is Popee The Performer?

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Cynical Cyclops, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Cynical Cyclops

Cynical Cyclops Christian Mother Of -2

About a year ago, I came across one of the absolutely strangest anime series's I'd ever seen. You may have heard of it, or seen fanart of the characters, as it's gathered quite an active fanbase. "Popee The Performer", a 2001 short computer animated cartoon that aired on kids networks in Japan.

But why is this series beloved by so many fans? It doesn't have a plot, there are so few characters, there's no development, or even dialogue- the CG animation is tolerable (sometimes good), but nothing amazing.

Well, everyone I've show this series to had the same reaction, myself included. "What the f%$% did I just watch?" It's shocking; to see a children's show with blood, cannibalism, constant death, and an overall psychotic theme. That's what I think makes it so intriguing.

After watching enough, it's easy to fall in love with the show- it's short, simple, and easy to watch whenever you're bored. There's no dialouge, and the plot of each episode is easy to follow. A friend of mine with severe ADD watched this with no issues.

The character's designs are unique and easy to draw in any style, I have even drawn my own fanart.

So, what do you think about the show? I'd love to hear you're thoughts and reactions!

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

It probably falls into mindless fun category, I truly don't see the specialty in this one either but I guess it is just a guilty pleasure to some.