1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think is the most stylish western cartoon

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by PapaGreg, Sep 9, 2017.

1. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Not the best looking or realistic but what show do you think just oozes style and great aesthetic, me personally it has to be Motorcity

[​IMG]

2. Gear3dGryph0n

Gear3dGryph0n Active Member

This is a very subjective question. In my personal opinion two of the best styles are from Samurai Jack and The Legend of Korra.

Samurai Jack is, in short, almost nothing like anything else out there. The show has little dialogue so the visuals and sound have to tell more of the story. Additionally, very few cartoons work in a lineless style. My own escapades with lineless vector art as well as hearing from Skynamic Studios, the guys behind True Tail ( http://www.destinationcomics.com/animation-destination/skynamic-studios/ ) tell you that lineless art generally isn't easy to do, especially in animation, since the intense colors and lack of covering lines magnify the visibility of any errors. But in Jack's case, it makes for a very unique look, with relatively simple shapes and easily identifiable designs. I personally love art styles that are balanced between hard angles and soft curves that convey a balance between warmth and aggression, and the absolute best way to achieve that is by simplifying the shapes.

I mentioned Korra here rather than the original Avatar because I very much enjoy the changes to the setting. It's more than just a typical steampunk/dieselpunk setup. It also throws in the Avatar franchise's defining Asian influences, rendering technologies with a 20s and 30s aesthetic with the design conventions of Chinese pagodas. It provides a great backdrop to a story where a spiritual, magical world rife with tradition contends with social change and advances in technology.

I generally find action cartoons on the whole to be artistically superior to comedy cartoons although I enjoy the comedy genre more, but the one biggest exception I'll make for comedy cartoons will be for the thick-line, UPA/Hanna-Barbera inspired cartoons from the early 2000s, notably on Cartoon Network. I'll throw in Butch Hartman's style as well. Those shows really did a great job differentiating their characters and working with color to boost their aesthetic.

• Like Like x 1