What Do You Play?

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by The Cartoon, Feb 26, 2011.

1. The Cartoon

The Cartoon Moderator

For the musicians of Toonzone. Weather it be the kazoo, bagpipe, or guitar, post about what instruments you play, or are learning how to play. Experienced musicians can provide advice to the members just starting out. This thread can also be used for explaining the progress in your musical career.

2. musicntoons15

musicntoons15 Member

I'm currently learning to play the guitar. It's pretty awesome.

3. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

When I was in 4th grade I played the violin, in 5th the flute, and in 9th the trombone. Now sadly it's only the rock band instruments. :sweat:

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

From 5th grade to the end of high school, I played trombone in band. In high school, I also added baritone to my repertoire.

I got burnt out on band in eight years so I didn't take it in college and haven't touched a musical instrument since. :sweat:

5. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Back in elementary school they forced us for 2 or 3 years to play the recorder. Worst class ever.

In the 8th grade I was really getting into Metallica and so I picked up the guitar( although I had owned an acoustic guitar since I was 6 I never played it ) and tried to learn on my own through tabs unsuccessfully. After I kept breaking my strings I figured that being a musician was not the type of artist I was meant to be:sweat:

I can still play the opening notes to Nothing Else Matters though:p

6. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Currently picking up guitar and keyboards and slowly learning to write my own music.

It's taking a while for me since I don't get enough free time to focus on it enough, but one day I'll finally write a fully-formed song of my own.

7. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Drums. I haven't played in a while due to lack of space, though. I really love the instrument, it's tons of fun to play.

8. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

I've played guitar for a few years now, and have also dabbled in keyboard since before that, as well as the flute, recorder, and ocarina.

9. ToonFaithful

ToonFaithful The One Who Knocks™

I played the tuba from 6th grade to 7th grade. I was pretty good at it too, only thing that kept me from playing it was it's heaviness. Such a pain taking it back and forth from school to my home.

10. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

I can play a little bit of the guitar and bass, I'm not that good at it but I can strum some songs and make it sound pretty decent, I am more or less better at the drums, or at least I'm more passionate about playing the drums. I'm no musician by any means but I enjoy playing some instuments and jamming alongside my friends every couple of months or so, we have a jam session coming up in a week or so and I believe I'll be on drums so that makes me kind of happy.

11. The Cartoon

The Cartoon Moderator

Played drums since I was in 4th grade. Lately I've only been playing percussion, mostly mallet instruments. I haven't had my drum set since I was forced to leave it behind in my move to California. But I'm still decent at it, and trying to get back into it soon.

12. adoptedBatpuppy

adoptedBatpuppy Confidence is the Key

I'm efficient in piano and can play some songs from Sound of Music Movie, Disney Princess themes, Batman theme, but generally prefer to play Sonatas and classical stuff.

13. OnePark

OnePark גורל

I can actually play the harmonica quite well. My uncle taught me on a vacation and I continued playing it. Haven't truly played it in years because of the situation I'm in.

14. Zach

Zach Active Member

I joined my school band in the sixth grade and played clarinet for three years before quitting. When I rejoined my junior year, I couldn't really play anymore and thus was relegated to playing auxiliary percussion - cymbals, triangle, and such. By the time I graduated, I had managed to get a music scholarship to study percussion in college but abandoned the major after a year. I'm thinking about getting back into music next semester.

I also play the guitar, but I'm not very skilled at it as I'm entirely self-taught. I can play some chords and a few rock solos. (I know the solos to "Californication" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and "Freedom" by Rage Against the Machine and can play most of the solo to Pearl Jam's "Alive." I used to know the first of half of the "Sweet Child O Mine" solo.) I recently played rhythm guitar for a play featuring the music of the Beatles and it went fairly well.

I want to be a professional musician, but I've neglected my talent these past few years. I'm competent with a drum set and once I get my own I'm going to dedicate myself to it and see if I can become a session musician or something. I know a good bassist and we're trying to put together a band.

15. Urusei Yatsura

Urusei Yatsura The Revolutionist

I've played Alto Sax for 5 years, currently in my high school marching band, and I'm taking Music theory next year to learn how to compose and harmonies and all that.. so I'm pretty involved.

I used to play a little piano, but I stopped after I moved. :p

16. dothesmartthing

dothesmartthing Me too.

I play a trumpet, and I've been doing so since sixth grade. I used to play a violin back in fifth grade, but I thought the trumpet would be an easier task for me.

17. Lord Mawdryn

Lord Mawdryn Board Bad Boy

I started on drums as a kid, but that didn't last very long because my parents realized that drums were actually loud.

Went to keyboards, but that fizzled out quickly.

Wanted to play electric guitar, but wound up with an acoustic guitar. Did nothing for me, 'cos it really wasn't what I wanted to play at the time.

Saw this really cool cat named Mark King do amazing things with a bass guitar and the rest was history. I've been playing bass for quite awhile now, but I've also gone back to keyboards and an acoustic guitar over the years. These days, though, I'm pretty much strictly a bass player...

18. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Amazing!
    Administrator

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Kramer's pretty routine:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Harmonie

Harmonie Foreverrrrr!

OMG a music section... Why didn't I see this earlier? :eek:

I play the bassoon and have for nearly four and a half years.

Before that I played trumpet, but I never really cared for it. Then I played clarinet for a while, but I didn't care for it either.

Since I'm a music major I have had to learn piano too, but honestly I'm not that great at it. Good enough to pass tests but other than that... =( It makes me sad, I'd love to be able to play it proficiently.

20. Zach

Zach Active Member

During my short stint as a music major I struggled with my piano classes. I guess I understand why universities require them but I wasn't too enthused with it.