What do you look for in animated fight scenes

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by PapaGreg, Oct 27, 2017.

1. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

I mostly prefer combat to be hand to hand and a little more grounded, personally not too crazy about magic powers. I also like when characters regardless of gender and alignment show damage and when I say damage I'm looking for a busted lip or a black eye at the very least. I also want hits to feel like the mean something like this clip of Naruto

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gatordragon

Gatordragon "In the end, I will reign supreme"

I like it when the environment is incorporated into the fight. It gives the fight an extra oomph, in my opinion. I also like it when the impacts are emphasized here and there, almost like you can feel it.

This DBX is a good example of my points:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

I good action, usually with a motive that delivers quick results, the last thing that should happen is a fight going on for very long and having no real reason to happen.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Neo Yi

Neo Yi A Cargo of Fineries
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I can accept stylish, but I learned that the faster it looks (that is, with little hesitation), the impressive they often are. Genndy Tartakovsky has taken this to an art form. I especially find his choreography in Sym-Bionic Titan to be massively impressive (see, Lance's swordfight with his former mentor.)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Oh, yes. Let the environment be used.

The more guns, the more I will be bored. Same with certain magical powers that make it too easy.

Sym-Bionic Titan's fight scenes are the best I've ever seen.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Them to be over. Generally speaking, they bore me. I find the relationships between the characters and the main drama of the series far more interesting to me.

7. Gatordragon

Gatordragon "In the end, I will reign supreme"

Eh, to each their own. Relationships and drama are good, but a fight scene when it's appropriate can add to a story as much as those two, in my opinion. Granted, not every story needs a tussle, but when there is, the spectacle can keep things interesting if handled well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

I do enjoy some awesome animated fight scenes like in Transformers: Robots In Disguise 2015, Justice League/Unlimited, Teen Titans, Samurai Jack, Ben 10, Sym-Bionic Titan, Steven Universe, Dragonball/Z/GT/Super, Project A-ko, Fairy Tail, and Attack On Titan for example that were the best.

I do mostly love animated female fight scenes like these examples:

Supergirl vs. Galatea, Starfire vs. Blackfire, Raven vs. Terra, Kim Possible vs. Shego, Aashi vs. The High Priestess, Garnet/Amethyst vs. Jasper, Ayane vs. Sakurako(Ayane's High Kick), Jo vs. Maria(Burst Angel), Roberta vs. Revy, and Aika vs. Risako(AIKa R-16), seeing these cool tough hot female characters being impressive fighters while getting pounded around is so engaging to see:D.

9. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Ex-Tyrant

Movement. I'm also fond of hidden weapons and gadgets used in a creative manner.

Oh, and sleight of hand.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. becausepotatoes

becausepotatoes The loudest and proudest

Fluid animation is key. Fight scenes don't look good if they're stiff and choppy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. ZacharyGrossman273

ZacharyGrossman273 New Member

I like nyarukos style of fighting: that is, the fight scenes are extremely short, and they quickly move on to the rest of the story.

• Like Like x 2
  12. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

Well I like mecha anime fights, but also Dragon Ball style fighting as well. Really like a lot of styles of armed and unarmed combat but I like to see more to the death fights between a man and woman.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk