1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you consider "Classic" or Oldschool" Nick?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by TheMusicdewd, Sep 13, 2014.

1. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

I consider the gold Era before 2007, after that point to 2014 in general was just the bronze era not much great happened in the channel except for Korra which was a good contender for this period. Then 2015 to present the Silver era since things have improved and this point forward Spongebob in the fandom was better accepted and the programs of Nick have also improved.

2. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

I wouldn't go THAT far

Drake & Josh is what killed Nick

Yeah I won't deny that Viacom over-relies on Spongebob but they're just milking what they can from the property before people lose interest which is a smart business move

If I ABSOLUTELY have to blame a Nicktoon I'll place the blame not on SpongeBob but rather Rugrats

That's what started Viacom's tactic of milking a popular franchise!

The success of Drake & Josh however led to the network being taken over by Dan Schneider

It was NOT SpongeBob or even Rugrats that ruined Nick

(at least not entirely...)

• Funny Funny x 1
    #22 Mikurotoro92, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  3. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Well, things definitely changed. That's for sure. All three shows contributed to it equally for different reasons.

4. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

Hence why I said "not entirely"

You're right though in saying that Rugrats, Drake & Josh, and SpongeBob all played a part in the downfall of Nick

Rugrats led to Viacom's trend of milking shows

Drake & Josh led to the network being taken over by Dan Schneider

SpongeBob led to Nick not wanting to take chances on new ideas

However as bad as Rugrats and SpongeBob have been milked over the years I personally think DRAKE & JOSH has done the most damage because it caused Nick to stop caring about cartoons in favor of live-action!

Yet people keep saying that Drake & Josh is the best kids' sitcom ever made but they refuse to believe it had a hand in Nick's destruction

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Did they ever favor cartoons over live action? They didn't even start coming out with their own cartoons until 1991, and even after that, they still had a mix of animation and live action.
    Even if it did, that shouldn't effect people's opinions on the show itself.

6. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

For me it starts in the early 90's when Nick Jr aired Noozles, David the Gnome, David the Gnome, and Nick proper was airing Bullwinkle and Looney Tunes. Old school Nick pretty much ended around the time Spongebob started rolling in, IMO.

Not that any of this is bad. I mean, to some old school Nick predates the Nicktoons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk