1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you consider "Classic" or Oldschool" Nick?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by TheMusicdewd, Sep 13, 2014.

1. TheMusicdewd

TheMusicdewd Member

This thread is a lot like Zelek's "What do you consider "classic" or "oldschool" CN" thread. Same topic, except this time we going to be talking about Nick.

What do you consider "Classic" or Oldschool" Nick?

I think most people agree that the 1990's was the golden age of Nickelodeon, and its not even a question. It's the decade when all of Nick's best programing aired such as Rugrats, Doug, Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold!, Angry Beavers, All That, Kenan & Kel, etc. aired. It was also when the channel was at its most creative and was it the peak of it's height.

But a lot people have different feelings on when the channel when downhill and when the golden age ended.

Me personally, this is how I feel:

1979-1990: Early Days Nick
    1991-2002: Golden Age of Nick
    Mid-2000's-present: Modern Nick

But, what do you guys consider "classic" and "old school" Nickelodeon?

#1 TheMusicdewd, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2014
  2. Zelek

Zelek Member

1979–2004, with 1991–2004 being the pinnacle.

3. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

I already expressed my dislike for nostalgia goggles over at the Cartoon Network forum, but similarly to CN, there are some criteria by which I judge what an old-school Nickelodeon show would be
    (once again, Old-School does not exactly mean better)

What I'd consider the Old-School era of Nickelodeon would start in 1991 with the premiere of "Rugrats", and end in 2008 with the finale of "All Grown Up!" (Kinda ironic when I think of it)
    This era is marked with a specific art style and aesthetic, drawing heavy influence from the Spumco and Klasky Csupo character and background design.
    Starting with Invader ZIM in 2001, this distinct "Nickelodeon Style" would be gradually phased out in favor of the thick-lined "Cartoon Network Style" (called that way because the majority of Cartoon Network shows, starting with Dexter's Lab or even with 2 Stupid Dogs, and ending with The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, would use it), with AGU! being the last Nickelodeon original to utilize it

As for the shows I'd consider classics my self (as in, shows worth remembering), it would be, from the shows done in the "Nickelodeon Style"
    Rugrats
    The Ren and Stimpy Show
    Rocko's Modern Life
    Hey Arnold!

from the show that did not use this style, it would be
    Invader ZIM
    Chalk Zone
    The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
    My Life as a Teenage Robot
    El Tigre: The Adventures of Manny Rivera
    The Mighty B!

As for the era that I believe Nickelodeon was at the top of their game, I'd say that be from 1991, till 2008
    However, now with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Sanjay and Craig, and the possibility of Fairly OddParents getting finally canceled, I think Nick has a chance of climbing out of the current slum they are in

4. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

I consider 2004 and before to be classic Nickelodeon. I like both classic and modern Nickelodeon (2005-present) in their own ways.

5. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

I guess my old-school days are around the early 2000s till about 2007 or so. While there were plenty that I liked after that, I consider it classic since it was when I watched the channel the most as a young lad, and around 2007 or 2008, I was losing interest in kids' TV in general until a couple years ago, really only watching Spongebob, Penguins of Madagascar, and the countless iCarly and Victorious reruns with my sisters at that time. It also didn't help that around the tail end of my time, shows like Mr. Meaty, The X's, Tak and the Power of Juju, and Mighty B all came out, and I really wasn't impressed by any of them. I did and still do make an appointment to catch every Nicktoon when it premieres and at the very least see around 4-6 episodes though. My peak year was probably 2005 or 2006 where shows like Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Wild Thornberrys and the like were being phased out while a new crop of series were arriving. At that time, I was crazy over Ned's Declassified, Drake and Josh, Zoey 101, Teenage Robot, Danny Phantom, Catscratch, and Avatar, and the shows still going I was still happy over like Spongebob, Jimmy Neutron, and Fairly OddParents. I don't know if I consider them "classics" today though since some I haven't seen in years and might age as well as milk.

6. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Here if I feel like it

I think 2008 is where it ends, after that there wasn't much variety in shows and also not a lot of groundbreaking new Nicktoons.

7. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I have a hard time considering what would be "old-school" but I personally would get the most nostalgia from 1998 to 2000 as it was when I watched the channel the most.

8. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

To me classic Nick = 90s Nick.

-> Rugrats, Real Monsters, Doug, Clarissa Explains it All, Legend of the Hidden Temple, Hey Arnold!, Are you Afraid of the Dark?, Catdog, Kablam!, Space Cases, Pete&Pete, SK8TV.

To me those are Nick's best shows ever and what really defined and shaped the channel.

9. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

1979-May 1, 1999.
    SpongeBob definitely killed Nick!

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Banned

1979-1990 Old style Nickelodeon
    1991-2005/06: Classic Nickelodeon
    2006- Current Nickelodeon

#10 goldenboy, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2014
  11. CowBobRanchPants

Mid/late 90's and early 2000's, the stuff I'm the most familar with I guess.

12. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I mentioned this previously in the Cartoon Network forum, but I'm not a wearer of nostalgia goggles,and to me "classic" and "old school" aren't the same thing; I'm not one of those of people who considers anything old to be a classic. 'Classic' to me is a measurement of long lasting quality, notoriety and success, not of age. Plus, I know I'm one of the oldest people here, so my definition of these terms will be a little different:

What I consider to be "old school" Nick is when they aired the likes of Pinwheel, You Can't Do That on Television, Nick Rocks, Dennis the Menace, Lassie, Danger Mouse, Count Duckula and Double Dare. There was also a show called Turkey Television which aired around that time that didn't got a lot of love from critics or viewers, but I kind of liked it.

My definition of 'classic' Nick is what I call 'The Nicktoons era', when Doug, Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Hey, Arnold!, Kablam! and all those Klasky-Csupo cartoons made their debut, as well as Clarissa Explains it All, Salute Your Shorts, Space Cases, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, All That, Kenan & Kel and the like. That was when Nick was watched the most frequently in my household.

13. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

For me there's REALLY old-school Nick, when they aired Rocky and Bullwinkle, Count Duckula, and Looney Tunes, which lasted into the mid-90's. And then there's "regular' old-school Nick, which started with the beginning of the Nicktoons all the way to Rocket Power.

14. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

Here's Classic Nick from my point of view:

The logo shown as a top, a fish, a crayon, a balloon poodle, etc.

The promos which include the title, the time, and the logo as any object, a pattern of colorful dots.

Live-Action shows: Clarissa Explains It All, Figure It Out, Legends of the Hidden Temple, and The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss

Classic cartoons: Looney Tunes, Muppet Babies, Gumby, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Beetlejuice, Garfield and Friends

Nicktoons: Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Aaahh!! Real Monsters, KaBlam!, The Angry Beavers, CatDog, and Classic SpongeBob

Holiday Blocks: Non-Stop Nicktoons Weekend (I wish Nick would do this kind of thing today. I know the one from 2007 was no good but maybe it would be better if it included Classic and Modern Nicktoons like Ren & Stimpy and TMNT.)

And there you have it: Classic Nick as I cherished it.

15. Zelek

Zelek Member

2000-2005

16. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Since I was born in the late 90s and Nick was already around for years before then, I don't think classic/old school Nick was when I was growing up. I consider it to be from when the network launched to sometime in the 90s. If I do have to answer based on my own personal experience though, then I'd say from around the start of the mellennium to when the splat logo was dropped in 2009. I don't mean to sound like someone blinded by nostalgia goggles (I'm not even demanding they bring it back), but something just felt different after that.

17. VeiledHat

VeiledHat Pineapple from Heck

SpongeBob isn't actually that bad, Mimitchi. I know you don't like it, and I respect your opinion, but you should give one of the good pre-movie episodes a try sometime. "Band Geeks" is considered one of the best episodes of the series.

18. Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster Well-Known Member

I usually think of Classic Nick as between the late 80s to the early noughties.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Yeah, for me it's similar. Roughly 1988/89-1998/99.

20. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

I might be biased, but the 'golden era' for Nick will always be from 1991 to 2005.

Though if I were more critical on the subject I'd say it was from 1991 to 2002.