What comic books are you following?

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by wonderfly, Jan 27, 2015.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Just kind of a survey thread (to see what my fellow Toonzoners are into):

What comic books are you following right now? Include current ongoing comic series, ongoing mini-series*, old storylines like in TPB collections or individual issues that are out of print.

And how do you read them? Do you still buy printed comics? Read them entirely digitally? Or a mixture of both?

Tell us what you're into!

* = It's my understanding many comic books carry on as a "series of mini-series" nowadays.

2. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Personally I'm following

Mortal Kombat X
    Chew
    Deadly Class
    Hawkguy
    And Saga

3. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

My budget for comics isn't very much, so I don't follow a whole lot at one time. Aside from a backlog of trade paperbacks/hardcovers, here's what I'm currently following.

* Gotham Academy (DC)
    * John Carpenter's Asylum (Storm King)
    * Magnus: Robot Fighter (Dynamite)
    * Star Wars (Marvel)
    * Thief of Thieves (Image)
    * Velvet (Image)

Mini-series that just started:

* Abigail and the Snowman (Boom)
    * Galaxy Quest: The Journey Continues (IDW)

I was also following the mini-series Wild Blue Yonder (IDW), but it just wrapped last week, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters (IDW), which ends this week.

As for how I read them, I buy them weekly from my local comic shop. I've never bought a single digital comic. I simply prefer print comics.

4. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Frog of Thunder
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I'm kind of all over the place these days. Stuff I can think of off the top of my head:

- Ms. Marvel (Marvel); contemplating picking up on Captain Marvel, too.
    - Saga (Image)
    - Lazarus (Image)
    - Atomic Robo (Was Red 5, now Tesladyne)
    - Sex Criminals (Image)
    - Usagi Yojimbo (Dark Horse)
    - Red Sonja (Dynamite)

All the above is mostly in trades, though I'm experimenting a bit more with digital.

5. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

1. Batman '66: Always up for a comic with a Silver Age vibe, and arguably the TV series is another example of how to do the campy Batman right (Batman: The Brave and The Bold being the other example). And with the show coming out on DVD finally, this works as a good appetizer so to speak.

2. Futurama Comics: Futurama's been one of my favorite adult comedies in animation since I first watched it on Adult Swim, and with it over, I figured I'd try the comic. Between my first regular issue (69) and the two crossovers with Simpsons (which I actually got several years back), I'm definitely staying on board for the long run.

3. Mega Man: Been a big fan of the classic Mega Man games and character as a kid, even before I got into the many characters of Marvel & DC Comics. Followed the classic games, frequently watched Captain N: The Game Master & saturday morning cartoon Mega Man and even read both manga series that were translated (Megamix & Gigamix). Between that and following Ian Flynn's run on Sonic the Hedgehog, this looked promising.

And it still is. Even with the hope I had, I figured it would at best be a simple comic (fun mind you), but it's been a compelling read for pretty much all of the series. Good mixture of lighthearted and serious moments. Fleshes out the characters pretty well and even fits it Robot Masters from the later games (ones that Wily stole as opposed to creating).

Plus, arcs like Curse of Ra Moon (#29-32) and the follow ups in #33 really manage to add in elements of surprise, so that even if you're familiar with the games, it doesn't feel like a retread.

If there's anything considered problematic it's how the adaptation for Mega Man and Mega Man 2 were each crammed into 4 issues (#1-4 and 9-12 respectively). But with Super Adventure Rockman as the next game to have been adapted, some set up was provided in #13-16 with the main event being #29-32 with #28 and 33 working as prologue and epilogue respectively.

4. Scooby Doo Team Up: Thought it would be fun to try out, and I'm interested in seeing how Scooby will play off the other DC heroes. And like Futurama Comics, it's bi-monthly so I'm not really spending that much on it.

5. Sonic the Hedgehog: Never played the games much. My only exposure being the cartoons from the 90s, both of which I like, especially the SatAM version which was canceled too soon. Between wanting to look for some stuff outside of Marvel & DC, watching the Nostalgia Critic's review of the aforementioned cartoons and purchasing the SatAM series (Heck, #200 of the comic gave me the same feeling of The Doomsday Project), I gave this a shot around #197. Been getting each issue since then and haven't lost interest since.

Not going to touch on the circumstances of the reboot (trying to keep things positive), Countdown to Chaos was a solid read and since I've enjoyed Ian's work for the most part, I'm sticking in. If Mega Man (which he's written since #1) is an indicator, then the quality in the long run really shouldn't be a problem as there will arguably be more consistency, due to him essentially starting over.

6. Star Trek (continuing from the 2009 movie): I'm in the category of fans who enjoy both TOS and 2009 movie reboot, hence this title. Started off okay, but improved by doing more original stories which flesh out the crew (including "Cupcake" of all people) and adapting TOS episodes that would be heavily altered in the timeline. Plus, I went towards this title for the same reason I got Star Trek Omnibus 2 (reprints all issues of the shortlived Star Trek Early Voyages series). It focuses on an portion of Trek continuity that doesn't (and looks like it won't) receive much onscreen attention (more than Christopher Pike got in The Cage mind you).

Now to clarify my opening comment the problem with the early six issues is that it adapted TOS episodes that ultimately weren't too different from the original stories, much like how Into Darkness was too close to Wrath of Khan. But later issues do much better on toning down on the similarities.

7. Simpsons Comics: This is actually one I've considered for a long time now, but just never made the time to do so. Overall I watched the series in my later childhood/teen years during the 90s when Seasons 1-7 were premiering. Just fell stopped watching for a while, and then would occasionally comeback during 2006-2007 (caught the movie in theaters), as well as 2012.

During 2013-2014, I started watching the show on and off again. Then on the last week of August 2014, I caught a lot of the later episodes during the FXX marathon where they ran the whole series and movie in a single run and got back into the series altogether, even catching premieres regularly (whether on Sunday or On-Demand).

Up until then, my reading of comics related to The Simpsons were pretty much either library trades or Bongo Comics Free-For-All on FCBD, but last month I had some extra money and blew it on some Simpsons Comics. Some were random issues of the main series, others are the one shots coming out that feature other characters. Even got the first two of the three issue Krusty Comics from the 90s and several Radioactive Man issues.

Hence why I'm adding this to my list of regulars.

8. Sonic Boom: Not much to say on this other than the stories being fun and as the main Sonic the Hedgehog comics are usually arc based, this aside from the occasional arc is more of the done in one issue type of comic.

9. Smallville Season 11: Smallville (Season 11 monthly, specials and mini-seres): I'm not blind to Smallville's overall quality. Some of the show was really good, but just as much sometime more was flawed, but I'll admit to enjoying it. So I figured on giving the comic a shot, and like many of it's readers was surprised to see it being genuinely great. And with some exceptions, it helps that the book is outside of the main DC continuity and thus not under heavy editorial mandate.

But this one is coming to an end in I believe March with issue four of Smallville: Continuity which is basically Crisis on Infinite Earths only Smallville centric and more simple.

I get them in print at the comic store, though sometimes I use Amazon for trades if I need a good deal.

6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This is going to be a long list :sweat:.

DC
    - Batman
    - Batman '66
    - Superman/Batman
    - Detective Comics
    - Batman Eternal (Though that's winding down now)
    - Batgirl
    - Gotham Academy
    - Batman and Robin
    - Superman
    - Action Comics
    - Superman/Wonder Woman
    - Supergirl
    - Green Lantern
    - The Flash
    - Aquaman
    - Justice League
    - Justice League United
    - Secret Origins

Marvel
    - Amazing Spider-Man
    - Spider-Man 2099
    - Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man (Ending)
    - All-New X-Men
    - Amazing X-Men
    - X-Factor (Ended)
    - Wolverines
    - Cylcops (Likely Ending Soon)
    - Storm (Likely Ending Soon)
    - Nightcrawler (Ending)
    - Avengers (Ending)
    - Uncanny Avengers
    - All-New Captain America
    - Thor
    - Captain Marvel
    - Ms. Marvel
    - Hulk
    - She-Hulk (Ending)
    - Hawkeye (Ending)

IDW:
    - Transformers
    - Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye
    - Transformers: Drift - Empire of Stone (Mini-Series)
    - Samurai Jack
    - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Archie:
    - Sonic The Hedgehog
    - Sonic Universe
    - Sonic Boom
    - Mega Man

Valiant:
    - The Valiant
    - X-O Manowar (In Trades at the moment)

#6 Frontier, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
  7. Perry

Perry Super... man

I was following a lot more before deciding that I needed to start saving money a few months back, but here are a few books that I continue to read on a regular basis:

- Saga (Image)
    - Deadly Class (Image)
    - Sex Criminals (Image)
    - They're Not Like Us (Image)
    - Teen Dog (IDW)

I miss reading Mega Man, but I am so far behind at this point that I don't think it's worth jumping back into. I think the last issue I checked out was #12 or #13.

8. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

Archie Comics:
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic Universe

DC Comics:
    Looney Tunes

9. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

Follow in single issues:
    - Usagi Yojimbo
    - Hellboy
    - BPRD
    - any other Hellboy/BPRD spin-off (Abe Sapien, Witchfinder, Lobster Johnson)
    - Dark Horse Presents
    - Adventure Time (plus spin-offs)
    - Steven Universe
    - Classic Popeye
    - and I'll be getting IDW's Disney comics when they come. Love Uncle Scrooge!

Follow in collections
    - Love and Rockets (this one's kind of cheating, as they did away with single issues and have gone with a yearly tpb for years)
    - Atomic Robo
    - Batman '66

... The rest of the stuff I follow are stand alone graphic novels, classic reprints, foreign reprints, or series too infrequently published to really count.

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Been following the Ghostbusters comics by IDW for 5 years now I think.

Today, the ongoing continuity continued with Issue #1 of the Ghostbusters: Get Real mini series. Basically, spinning out of the classic "Janine Melnitz, Ghostbuster" episode, the Real Ghostbusters end up meeting the movie Ghostbusters. This mini goes in depth between what happened when the Atlas statue zapped the RGB up to when Janine finds them in Proteus' mirror limbo.

11. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

The Flash.
    Added the Amazing Spider-Man again, until SW event ends.
    I will try to collect pre-SW Iron Man, Moon Knight, and maybe a couple more characters after the event ends and Marvel reboots.

12. FlawedCoil82

FlawedCoil82 Member

X-Men '92
    Godzilla (various IDW titles)
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (various IDW titles)

13. The Dork Knight

The Dork Knight The saddles do what now?

Okay, so I'm behind on a lot of stuff (like, REALLY behind), but this is what I usually read each month.

Deadpool
    Spider-Man/Deadpool
    Whatever Deadpool mini Marvel churns out that month
    Savage Dragon
    Star Wars
    Darth Vader
    Kanan the Last Padawan
    [Insert Star Wars character here] mini
    Saga
    The Walking Dead
    Sex Criminals
    Silver Surfer
    Batman
    Whatever Batman '66 title is out that month

Also, here are some retro books that I've been peeping lately.

The Incredible Hulk
    American Splendor
    Hellblazer
    Spawn

14. Cartoon_Kid

Cartoon_Kid Customized

Right now I'm reading the Deadpool V.S. Marvel comics, pretty cool little series!