1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

What Cartoons Do You Think Have Potential For Features Films? And More?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by SweetShop209, Oct 4, 2017.

1. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

With the My Little Pony Movie coming out on Friday, as well as upcoming movies for Teen Titans Go, SpongeBob, The Loud House, and Bob's Burgers, as well as the possibility of a Hanazuki movie, it seems like we're getting another boom of feature films based on cartoons. With that in mind, which of your favorite cartoons do you think could make great theatrical films?

When I put up the "and more" part, this thread is also talking about things like

1. Who would get to write and direct the movie? Would it be composed solely of show crew, or would you get some outside help from those experienced with feature films?

For example, the first SpongeBob movie was written by creator Stephen Hillenburg, Series developers Derek Dymon and Tim Hill, and series writers Kent Osbourne, Aaron Springer, and Paul Tibbitt, the latter who were there since day one. The second movie had Stephen and Paul return, while the other two writers were Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Burger from the Kung Fu Panda movies.

2. What celebrities and veteran voice actors would you get to play the new characters in the film? Also, what new characters would you introduce?

You could have a film that has celebrities like Angela Bassett and Ryan Reynolds alongside veteran voice actors like Rob Paulsen and Jennifer Hale.

3. What would the basic plot and overall message be? Feel free to give some details.

This is self explanatory.

Feel free to comment.

2. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think any animated series that have over five seasons should get a movie. I definitely feel that Regular Show and Adventure Time should've gotten theatrical films. Both shows made it to eight seasons and were huge hits. I'm also surprised Ben 10 haven't gotten one too. There was a live action one planned, but it looks like that got scrapped.
    Ignoring what I said earlier, Phineas and Ferb was a huge hit and that should've gotten one as well. The fact that it failed to get one, means we probably shouldn't expect any of their other Disney TVA. Though with all these other shows getting movies, it's only a matter of time before Disney jumps on the bandwagon too. It might not be too late for Phineas and Ferb to get one at this point, or even Gravity Falls if the creator is willing.
    If Seth McFarlane makes a Family Guy movie, I'd love it if they cross over with American Dad and Cleveland Show, though, I'd also be happy with just an American Dad movie.

Ya know in Japan, a lot of the movies based on shows are standalone. A lot of movies based on cartoons in the States serve as important plot changes to the show, or even the series finale. Do you think that should be different in the future?
    Also, I don't know if Toei still does this, but they used to do double or even triple features for movies based on popular anime. Granted the movies are a lot shorter as a result, but it'd be really cool to see that attempted in the States.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I think Steven Universe and Duck Tales (2017) have potential to make good movies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Most popular shows right now that have large stories that can work under movie direction. Shows like Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Star VS the Forces of Evil are likely the ones that would be able to have a story mad for a movie.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

5. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I think it's safe to assume that CN and Disney won't make any theatrical movies based on animated series in the future. Only Nickelodeon does that once in a while.

CN is probably still traumatized after what happened with the PPG movie :sweat:

• Like Like x 3
  6. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

Steven Universe, Adventure Time (i'm not even sure if the movie is even in production), and definitely Rick and Morty.

A crossover movie between The Seth MacFarlane Fox cartoons could work and it would be a big hit.

Or, a crossover between many Fox cartoons could work as well.

#6 SuperFan2024, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  7. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Steven Universe and Rick and Morty immediately come to mind, though these cases would be a little complicated in that the status quo is near nonexistent on those shows, especially the former.

8. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd love to see movies of both, but the issue is that they should both be standalone films that don't have any affect on the show, just like a lot of anime (and tokusatsu) films based on ongoing shows.
    A Steven Universe film should have Steven meeting an alien, who asks for his help to save his planet from a Gem invasion. But the alien doesn't trust him because he and the CGs are gems too. It's lessons of trust, friendship, and dealing with racism, are themes that would fit an SU movie.

As for a Rick and Morty movie, I don't know what they'd do. All I know is if that the time it takes for them to make one season, they could also make a movie as well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

If I can go backwards in time a little bit, I think Ed, Edd n' Eddy's Big Picture Show might have worked in theaters. The show never got the marketing push Powerpuff Girls did, but was about as popular ratings wise, and with a slight push in the budget, could have looked even better than the movie already did.

Plus, the scene with Double D's hat would have stayed in if it went to theaters as Antonucci initially planned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if South Park should try making another movie. They almost did with Imaginationland.
    The Simpsons movie was fun, they should try making another one as well.