1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

What Can Be Done To Get More Theatrical Films Filled Primarily With Voice Actors

Discussion in 'The Voice Actors Appreciation Society' started by SweetShop209, Apr 29, 2017.

1. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Its no secret that Hollywood tends to pick celebrities to fill out the main casts in animated theatrical films in order to attract the biggest audience possible. Even for those who have respectable voice acting careers like JK Simmons and Alan Tudyk were probably hired more because they were were well known in live action (like the Sam Raimi Spiderman films for example) than their talents.

It wasn't always like this. Having celebrities in animated wasn't uncommon but, when movies like Aladdin and especially Shrek, made big big money with their celebrity actors, celebrities were suddenly brought in to fill most of the cast. Professional voice actors usually get supporting roles or walla (minor background noises). I know that the trend of having voice actors play major roles in film isn't dying out, but it is being largely ignored.

I do wonder as to what it would take for the trend to reverse, where we get more theatrical films filled up with actors primarily known for voice work. I'd like to think that we're slowly taking steps towards this with films like The Boxtrolls (which had Dee Bradley Baker and Steve Blum as the title characters along side other actors like Nika Futterman, Fred Tatasciore, and Maurice LaMarche), Ratchet And Clank (which had James Arnold Taylor, David Kaye, Jim Ward, and Armin Shimmerman reprise their roles), and Storks (which had Katie Crown on it). I would like to hear what you think though about what you think can be done so that voice actors get bigger breaks in movies.

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

I think what makes animated movies special is their active use of celebrities, sure it might be a detriment to said movie if it became a show but ultimately giving more common voice actors a role in the movie would feel like Direct to DVD than an authentic movie.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Nothing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Bonus points if those celebrities don't even bother to sound like their character.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

It's not really a practice that's going to change anytime soon, especially for big budget studio features.

Even for ones that are independently financed, they probably put pressure on the production companies to get them in there.

I think the one thing you can hope for is that some prominent voice talent also gets featured in some significant roles, like Maurice LaMarche as Mr. Big in Zootopia.

But look the more prominent celebrities don't always do a bad job with these characters. Some provide some really good likable performances.

IMHO, I maintain it was pointless to cast all those big name actors in Kung Fu Panda because they are wasted in such marginal roles. Why pay Jackie Chan to voice a monkey that barely talks, or Van Damme as a crocodile with two lines? The problem is that Van Damme as a crocodile could be potentially hilarious, but the production does nothing with it.

6. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

Simple:

Get people to stop supporting movies with big-name actors!

Unfortunately in this celebrity-obsessed culture that's easier said than done

7. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

Yea I don't think so

8. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

I don't really see what's particularly wrong with having all-star casts, especially if they don't take away from the experience by acting solely as themselves to the point where there is virtually no character underneath it ("Doogal" comes to mind). Heck, I think they can be quite beneficial when they add to the character. Here's a few examples right off the top of my head:

-Vincent Price as Ratigan in "The Great Mouse Detective"
    -Dwayne Johnson as Maui in "Moana"
    -Albert Brooks as Russ Cargill in "The Simpsons Movie" (Granted, Brooks did appear on the show from time to time, but he's enough of a name to count here)
    -Jason Bateman as Nick Wilde in "Zootopia"

So, as long as they keep it somewhat balanced between the celebs and non-celebs (and the majority of the time they seem to) and the voices themselves fit the roles, I am totally fine with them. I get that certain voice actors probably deserve more of a break, but the truth is their talents are usually better suited for TV anyway and it's not like most of them never get a chance to be on the big screen.