What are your predictions for Nickelodeon in the 2020's?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by SmileyToonatic, Aug 27, 2015.

1. bart_simpson7

bart_simpson7 Member

I don't think so

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

What? With how much Nick loves the Sponge, I could seriously see them doing a bunch of spinoffs.

3. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Squidward is a wacky neighbor/comic foil. He totally wouldn't work as a main character.

4. chipmunksfan

chipmunksfan Member

I can see it working for one season maybe, even a "Mr. Krabs Show," come to think of it. Plankton could also lead something like that, many episodes revolve around his evil schemes anyway.

5. Dr. Zoidberg678

Dr. Zoidberg678 New Member

Plankton would make a good spin off, All he needs is a helper and it could be like a Spongebob version of Pinky & The Brain.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Cricketgallery

Cricketgallery New Member

The people in there 20's and 30's grew up on Nickelodeon and MTV cartoons. They will make a resurgence on reruns.

7. Lord Hater

Lord Hater Retired

Nickelodeon will surpass CN and Disney in terms of quality and success of their original series. All of their shows will have huge adult fanbases and go where no one else has gone in society. They will find other ways to deal with a show's low ratings rather than deporting them to other channels. The live-action will be better quality than the current kidcoms. SB and FOP will be cancelled and get spin-offs.

Nicktoons will be the home of all third-party shows and never airs live-action.

8. EJTDSN0161

EJTDSN0161 New Member

First time poster, love the site. Just want to say hi to everyone before I go into my personal predictions.

Nick in 2020s

- The emphasis shifts to live action but does maintain a cartoon themed weekend block for example : Saturday Mornings from 9-12pm, Sunday Afternoons from 12-3pm

- The limited series (novela) format will become weeknight staples at the 7:00pm hour, along with a new cartoon premiere at 6:30pm daily

- Dan Schneider sitcoms will take the plunge around 2021 at most.

- More Y7 and above programs will begin to be placed at 8pm and 8:30pm.

- TeenNick will continue to redevelop its lineup and cultivate more of a block schedule as will Nick Jr and Nicktoons which I think also need to begin a more adult-friendly lineup after 9pm (NickMom wasn't that bad but some things were just too adult for the preschool audience. More recon needs to be done to figure out how to target those adults without alienating kids.). Segmentation has become essential in today's market. Since this is mostly an animation forum, I will abstain.

- Afternoons will become more structured and become more dedicated to showing off premieres of animated series from the 4:00pm to 6:30pm weekday block. (Clearly for some reason I thought about this BEFORE I checked the ratings thread and was surprised to see that I am not the only one who considered this but then again Cartoon Network already does this if I'm not mistaken.)

- Some sort of afternoon feature will be played on 2pm-4pm on weekdays, something like a mini-marathon leading up to the next cartoon premiere, or something like a "throwback block" that goes between animation and live action. An afternoon block for boys I honestly think may be critical due to the fact that evenings skew towards girls currently and I assume Nicktoons is the answer to the gender decay I guess. "Spongebob" could definitely begin this two hour block.with two or three new toons following.

- There will be more gender neutral programming for the 8pm-10pm block and not just sitcoms that skew female viewers as well as a bit more of a tween-teen flavor to those shows but will definitely distinguish itself from TeenNick. This block should include an hour-long suspense or action show and two comedies. The action show would transition between Nick and Nick @ Nite.

- 7:30pm on weeknights is up to question. While in my personal opinion, Nick should begin to extend the novela-style limited series in an hour-block, hour long specials make shows "valuable" in kid's television it seems and therefore on a kids' channel, it would be difficult to extend them into an hour. Honestly, the integrity of the canon depends on the length. But this also depends on how the ratings are for the shows as is. Talia and Make it Pop didn't really have the effect that "Every Witch Way" did and seemed out of place. I think that the 7:00pm block is valuable if used correctly and the quality is better.

- Nick @ Nite is modified with newer classic shows. Reruns of gold that has worked are fine but it is also nice to find other gold sitcoms from the late 80s into the early 90s that could be re-exposed to the viewing audience. By 2025, likely 80s will be phased out completely to make way for 2000s era shows.

- The emphasis placed on comedy will shift into dramedy, more of the content on Nick will mature after animation block which will also become more edgy.

- By 2020, most if not all currently running Nicktoons on the main channel will be moved to Nicktoons because of ratings decay nothing more or less. FOP and SB will suffer from the 20 year decay thing as have "The Simpsons" and any other non-reality based show that has lasted this long has suffered.

- A new generation of Nicktoons will arise with inspiration from SB and FOP but with contemporary topics, technology, and real issues that are controversial and innovative. The era of non-complex stories will come to a close where both animation and live action must add up.

- Saturday nights will shift into more mature content within the next ten years, teen shows will become the norm by then. As live action such as "Game Shakers", "Henry Danger", and "Nicky, Ricky, Dicky, and Dawn:" will not make it to the next decade since the protagonists are meant to target a certain age group and that age group may not translate later. Tween programming will be forced to mature and deal with real life issues and not just the advent of new technologies.

- As 90s Nick viewers become parents, there is likely to be some kind of 90s Nick throwback show on main channel that deals with second-gen Nick sitcom kids. Any Klasky-Csupo cartoon could be seen as a great example of a reboot. This would ONLY work with as much of the original writing staff being there as possible.

The general point is that the next decade will force Nickelodeon to grow up. What made it so innovative in the 1990s and early 2000s was its grasp on the real world around us. It dealt with issues, the changing world around us, and was relatively diverse. As Nick ages, it has begun to lose that diversity in everything from its genres of programs (overemphasis on sitcoms) to having the "One is enough." rule. It is time that people see television be a slight tad bit more realistic. Okay, I am just going to say this.

- One of my hopes is to see a show on Nickelodeon with a mostly Black ensemble cast.. It doesn't have to be all Black as the novela model and "The Haunted Hathaways" made clear. It is time for them to make more of their casts minority-driven. I do admire "Game Shakers" and even "Bella and the Bulldogs" for their attempts at diversity, though. This is actually a kids' programming problem in general. And honestly with the amount of multiracial/ethnic kids, it would be great to have that. Black-ish and Empire are showing that there is a market for Black ensemble casts.

BTW, I said Black because we have the novela series for the Hispanic set, as well as Make It Pop if it returns (even though I found that to be whitewashy, too) to attract listeners of K-Pop. I think doing a block of shows where they can add diversity as well as maturity would be ideal. I like the idea of a "best actor for the job" thought process but that's not the real world. What I am saying applies to live-action and animation. The idea of not having even an autistic teen as a protagonist as well or someone with ADHD, doesn't have to be just racial diversity but diversity PERIOD. Most of these things don't even get attention and since the news division is gone, they aren't getting them through real time news either.

I will leave the diversity discussion for elsewhere but I think that these are some of the things we should see.

#68 EJTDSN0161, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  9. Lord Hater

Lord Hater Retired

Nicktoons will be rebranded so Viacom can make a profit from it and get it into more homes, seeing how reruns channels are disappearing rapidly. It will start out with third-party shows and eventually have it's own originals.

• Creative Creative x 1
  10. ILoveAnimation

ILoveAnimation New Member

Personally, I think the 2020's will be Nick's Renaissance.

I think Nick in the 2020' will:

.Start a pitching ground for cartoons as Spongebob and Alviiin! and the chipmunks decline

. end Spongebob as it is been nearly 2 decades old

.With the yellow sponge out of the way, Nick will start a search for new creators

. fix their schedule

. fix the 2009 logo and make a more creative logo

.Dan Schneider will be long gone and new creators of live action take his place

.Speaking of live action, there will probably be more variety such as sketch comedy,sitcoms, and even game shows

That's about all I've got.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hoopla!

Hoopla! that was a hoot

Hopefully by then, Nick will realize the error of their ways, stop shoving SpongeBob down our throat (ALVIIIIIIN! isn't that overrated) and start rolling in fresh material.

NickToons will keep going as a network for running Nick's programs and some of its own. Nick Jr will...just stay Nick Jr.
    TeenNick will either rehaul it's programming and schedule or cease to exist. If that happens The Splat will either become its own channel or go down too.

Worst case scenario is the ratings plummet and Nick goes kaput. But that'll only happen if they keep scrapping things in favor of you know who.

• Like Like x 2
  12. bart_simpson7

bart_simpson7 Member

The current logo was not bad it's good

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dark90's

Dark90's New Member

I'm new this is what I think its gonna. Be like?
    ---------
    -Nick will start at 7am everyday with nick jr shows till 1pm
    -After that nick will air a block called "afternoon with nick" they will show nicktoons and live action (not by the creator of ICarly) back to back until 6pm.
    - Nicktoons reruns on weekends leading into new premieres of nicktoons and live actions they will have a spin off of heavy breaks if its still around. And spongebob will only come on as a reruns of the good episodes.
    -Teennick will rebrand as TheTeennick (or the splat) will show thrid party shows and original shows and spin offs.
    - The nick Jr (Noggin) channel will be more about education to preschools and young kindergartner's and will teach young ages to learn and read and will stop doing showing dora (mabye?)
    -Nicktoons Network (tv channel) will show more live action show but will show both just like Nickelodeon.
    -Nick@nite will show More adult friendly things from hours 9pm to 6am and they will have original shows of there own and more awareness and show unair episodes of live action and nicktoons.
    -The blocks on the channel will be "nick@nite","afternoon with nick" and "nick fun" (nick fun will be fun related movies for Kids & the whole family) "Nick movies" (will be a block with all movies) "nick's summer block" they will air all summer related things! And shows.
    -The new logo will be more creative mabye blubble words or more art they will use more colorful more then Orange.
    -this is what I think will happen...

• Like Like x 1
  14. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

here's my new prediction for 2020s:

-Nick@Nite will be rebranded to The People Network or something like adult network, as the network will no longer be marketed as family network. All 4 former Nick at Nite shows will not air on this network, it will rerun TVLand originals like Younger, Jim Gafigan Show, Lopez, among others. It could air talk show from Comedy Central or something. Start times from 9pm to 6AM and start off the clock by 36 min at 9PM.
    -Nickelodeon should take back 6AM and air Fairly OddParents, maybe from Poof episodes or season 10 episodes, or that is if FOP does well.
    -Alvin and Chipmunks and other 3rd party like Miraculous will not air on Nickelodeon network. Nick should not get any more 3rd party acquisitions in future if they're not going to treat the marketing and advertising well
    -SpongeBob gets less spammed, and no longer be popular. Other future Nicktoons (NOT the network) like Pinky Malinky, Loud House and current Nicktoons like Harvey Beaks gets more popular.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

I hope Viacom finally ABOLISHES SBSP & FOP because it's time for them to retire!

That means absolutely NO more merchandise for the former!

No exceptions!

#75 Mikurotoro92, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  16. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

Here are my predictions for the 2020 Nick collection.

-SpongeBob will continue being the same.
    -The Splat replaces NaN after declining popularity.
    -Teenick and Nicktoons simply merge into Nickrossed, being 45% cartoons and 55% Live action.
    -NaN continues business as a block on TVland.
    -Nick.Jr continues doing well on attracting the Preschool audience and starts from 5:30-1:30pm weekdays, on Nick.
    -Nick gets its act together and dedicates itself as a 65% cartoon and 35% Live action channel, and gives more cartoons a chance.
    -Jace Norman and all the current teen actors leave and are replaced by other Teen actors.
    -And they finally stop rigging the KCA awards after being caught red handed of continuous meddling.

Overall those are my predictions, some may be unlikely but these are predictions that can always happen.

17. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

In 2027 Tom Kenny will be 65 years old. Please tell me Spongebob will be gone by then...

18. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

If a deal that would have Comcast buying Dreamworks Animation happens, Nickelodeon could find itself competing against Comcast Universal and Dreamworks TV productions sooner rather than later. The Los Angeles Times has an article about the benefits of a potential deal for both companies. That could mean big competition for Nick in the 2020s. Unlike the last company that tried to create a new kids network, Hasbro and The Hub, Comcast and Universal have enough experience in the area that they could easily establish themselves very quickly and have enough staying power to become part of a "Big 4" instead of the current "Big 3" of Nickelodeon, Disney, and Cartoon Network. I can envision Universal wanting to create a kids channel with a flagship TV show featuring the Minions to compete directly against Spongebob Squarepants. The TV potential is one of the biggest reasons I think this acquisition will happen.

19. CNFan996

CNFan996 Banned

By the early 2020s, a lot of their new shows will be revivals of older shows such as Rugrats and Hey Arnold and The Loud House will become their new cash cow.

20. Asa

Asa Member

I assume in the early 2020's. Nick@Nite may get shut down due to declining popularity, thus either replacing a new nighttime block or regular Nick scheduling.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1