What are your predictions for Nickelodeon in the 2020's?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by SmileyToonatic, Aug 27, 2015.

1. SmileyToonatic

As we are in 2015, the 2020's are five years away, which isn't too far from now. The 2010's have been a rough and dark decade for Nick due to ratings decline and poor scheduling decisions. I think the 2020's will be Nick's revival of full popularity and success, and here's why:
    • Many Nick executives have been replaced with new ones so hopefully the channel will be ran better
    • SpongeBob will most likely end in 2019 for its 20th anniversary with the third SpongeBob movie, giving room for a new popular cartoon
    • Maybe failed/unsuccessful shows like Robot and Monster and The Modifyers could be given second chances for full series and good treatment
    • The acquisition of shows like Oggy and the Cockroaches and Winx Club could just be Nicktoons channel exclusives and they could acquire more shows from foreign countries like Teletoon and YTV (Canada) Xilam (France) and Aardman Animation (United Kingdom)
    That's all I can think of for now. What are your thoughts/predictions on Nick in the 2020's?

• Agree Agree x 1
    #1 SmileyToonatic, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  2. Doowopasaurus

Doowopasaurus Member

Nickelodeon will be built entirely upon Alvin and the Chipmunks, with SpongeBob and a few live action shows as crutches. Kind of like how it is now, only Alvin replacing SB and SB replacing FOP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I don't get why some people think that Alvin and the Chipmunks is going to replace SpongeBob Squarepants as Nick's #1 show. That's definitely not going to happen. I get that some folks want to see SpongeBob get de-throned, but when that eventually does happen, his replacement isn't going to be a 3rd party acquisition based on a decades old franchise. People are acting like this show has become insanely popular in just a couple of weeks. Alvin and the Chipmunks hasn't even been on for an entire month yet and people are already predicting that this show is going to be the new SpongeBob? I don't get it. Are Alvin's ratings really that good?

• Like Like x 1
    #3 Goldstar Neo, Aug 27, 2015
  4. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

That's more of a wish than a prediction, and it's definitely not going to happen. Once a network is done with a failed show, they rarely revisit it, especially years after the fact, and a network reviving a proven ratings failure would be considered a waste of time and money. For whatever reason, The Modifyers just didn't make the grade, and Nick was done with Robot and Monster the second they deported it over to Nicktoons. That'd be like expecting MTV to revive Station Zero, The Brothers Grunt and Spy Groove.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    #4 Silverstar, Aug 27, 2015
  5. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

New episodes of Alvinn started early August till last week had scored 2 mil viewers, which somewhat outscored SpongeBob reruns. But Alvin reruns don't always hit 2 mil viewers mark, SpongeBob and Alvinn are slightly the same ratings around 1.8 viewers.

As for this same topic, I hope Nick at Nite and NickMom should be shut down, and Nickelodeon should go back to 24/7, and same thing with NickJr network

6. Lord Hater

Lord Hater Retired

Nicktoons will have an HD and West Coast feed and is the home of Nick's animated series. Nick will focus on live-action and TeenNick is shut down.

7. SmileyToonatic

Also, since the Nickelodeon Magazine has been revived under a new company called Papercutz, that could continue making comics of their current Nicktoons that will be out at the time. I like the idea of Nick Mom being shut down, but I don't think Nick should be 24/7. I think their sister channels like Nicktoons, Nick Jr., and TeenNick should be the only 24/7 networks. Nick@Nite just seems like a tradition is all. It tells kids when it's time for bed. Nick shouldn't abandon their Nicktoons completely for live action, it should have a mixed variety of animation, live action, game shows, preschool, etc.

Yeah, but what if Nick's ratings are extremely low because SpongeBob loses popularity and is eventually cancelled? Maybe, just maybe, they could give these shows another chance for a boost in ratings. I'm being optimistic about those shows. It's unlikely but not impossible.

I think ALVIN and the Chipmunks will be cancelled by the time the 2020's approach, plus, if Nick wants a new popular cartoon, it should be an original creator-driven show, hopefully hand-drawn animation.

Lastly, let's hope that Nick's viewership rises from under 1 million viewers to mid 2 million viewers into 3 million viewers to mid 6 million viewers.

#7 SmileyToonatic, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  8. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

The key word there being "reruns". ALVINNN! and the Chipmunks debuted during the summer when there were very few premieres airing and was mostly going up against reruns. Alvin may do all right for itself, ratings wise, but it's not going to be the show that replaces SpongeBob as Nick's poster child. That's pure fantasy.

Nickelodeon has never been 24/7. When Nick was first launched, it shared air space with Arts (now A&E), which took over the channel's space at 8PM (EST). Then after A&E split and became it's own independent channel, the Nick at Nite block was created. Viacom wouldn't want Nick to run 24/7 because most sponsors of kiddie products don't want to advertise during late night hours.

And honestly, all of the hate that NickMom gets is just baffling to me. Just don't watch NickMom if you don't like it. Little kids are typically in bed after 9PM and aren't watching TV, therefore there's no reason for either channel to run kiddie shows during late night hours. Why should Nick or Nick Jr. cater to an audience that isn't there just to fit some imaginary ideal?

• Like Like x 1
    #8 Goldstar Neo, Aug 28, 2015
  9. Silverstar

No offense, but the scenario you're describing is such pure fantasy that it should be submitted to Mr. Roarke and Tatoo. When SBSP finally runs out of steam, Nick will already have new shows lined up to fill the gap left by it. They're not going to revive The Modifyers or Robot and Monster under any circumstances, they don't need those shows for anything and there's no incentive for Nick to revive them. Both shows were already given a shot by the network and neither succeeded in attracting a wide audience or king-sized ratings. Why would Nick expect 2 previously aired failures (by network standards) to suddenly become the saviors of their network, and why would audiences' reaction to these shows suddenly be magically different now? The only way for this scenario to be more imaginary would be to have it involve genies and unicorns. The definition of insanity is repeating a proven failed strategy and expecting different results. Networks don't pour time, money and effort into reviving mediocrity; that just doesn't happen.

#9 Silverstar, Aug 28, 2015
  10. Thelastones

Thelastones New Member

Nick will shut down or go digital only because of falling rating and or the rise of digital.

11. SmileyToonatic

@Silverstar

I know you are thinking realisticly and I respect that. But the only reason Robot and Monster failed in ratings was because Nick mistreated the show on purpose. Kids would of really enjoyed it if they were introduced to it properly without Nick rushing through the episodes. And in my opinion, Robot and Monster is not mediocre. It was excellent and it really could of been a big hit if Nick actually treated it like a show and not a joke.

As far as The Modifyers, Nick rejected it so we really don't know what kids think about it. Honestly if you give a show time to flesh out and develop, more viewers will tune in to the show.

I hope I didn't offend you in anyway. I'm just mad at Nick for never taking risks.

#11 SmileyToonatic, Aug 28, 2015
  12. Kung-Fu Yoshi

Kung-Fu Yoshi Active Member

SpongeBob ends eventually, slowly. Or it could continue to go on forever like Looney Tunes.

I also expect some guy to come in this thread to post about the predictions being wrong in 2023 or something.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Silverstar

S'all good. I have no reason to be offended; I neither own nor work for Nick. It's not my money. ;)

Personally, I've never actually seen The Modifyers, though I was aware of it, and I've only ever caught a few episodes of Robot and Monster (based on what I've seen of it, the show reminded me a lot of CatDog, with one protagonist who's kind a of jerk and a punching bag to everyone else on the show and the other a blissfully oblivious dufus, but I digress), but I do know the general motives and operations of corporate network types, and they rarely go back to shows which they've already rejected.

Regardless of whether it was due to network indifference, poor scheduling or whatever, and regardless whether the fates of either show were deserved or not, the fact remains that neither Robot and Monster nor The Modifyers earned a ton of lettuce or ratings numbers for Nickelodeon in the past, and so Nick's not likely to resurrect either of them.

Animation is too costly and time-consuming a process for a network to drop serious coin on something that didn't earn them monster-sized ratings the first time. Networks these days have become very risk-adverse: tighter budgets and the fast-moving pace of entertainment (currently networks have to compete not just with other networks but with kids who have short attention spans who could just as easily switch them off to stream something else or surf the net or play video games) are too much for them to try giving an unsuccessful show another chance. Nick revisiting either show is highly unlikely, the chances of them reviving those shows are even slimmer.

I'd like to see more variety and diversity in animated programs myself also, but networks for the most part are going to stick to proven successful formulas, for reasons stated above.

Yeah, I don't see this happening either. Sure, Nick and other network are feeling the crunch of digital entertainment, but at the same time, they're still pulling in millions. Nickelodeon is global multi-million dollar conglomeration of channels and venues; their TV ratings would have to abysmal in order for all of them to go away. Nick is more likely to expand its' online presence, but the network itself won't be shutting down, at least not in the immediate foreseeable future.

All in all, a lot of what's being posted here sounds more like wishes and speculations than actual predictions. Maybe the thread's title should be changed to the Hopes, Wishes and Speculations Thread instead.

• Winner Winner x 1
    #13 Silverstar, Aug 28, 2015
  14. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Ex-Tyrant

I think Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will be over and enough time will have passed for Nick to plan or launch a reboot for a new generation of kids.

15. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

After Bob Iger crushed all the media stocks by mentioning a loss of ESPN subscribers this month, various panic reaction stories have appeared, including this one from the Daily Beast about Viacom's future. It might be possible Nickelodeon could be sold to another company by 2020, like history shows happened to another network, Fox Family in 2001. Could a company like Fox or Comcast/Universal become the new owners of Nickelodeon by 2020 if things don't improve at Viacom? Maybe it could be spun off into its own company as another possibility.

16. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

Can we get that immediately, with a side of Downtown and extra Clone High? :D

My predictions for Nickelodeon in the 2020s:

SpongeBob will still be on.

They will continue to mess with their schedule to irritate fans of anything that isn't SpongeBob.

(I feel like Squidward in those astrology shorts; not really predicting much but the obvious.)

17. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

I'm no Nostradamus or Edgar Cayce but I think Tommy Lawson might be right on target if Viacom continue to swim in dangerous water; then Nick could be spun-off into his own company or sold to another media corporation like Comcast/Universal or even Warner Bros.

18. Thelastones

Thelastones New Member

Here is why i see this happen first off viacom makes Stupid decisons second off Cable isn't growing. for the first time cable growth was negative in 2015. Also cable will maybe not exist in 2020s.

19. Todd Harry

Todd Harry New Member

but maybe viacom do something

20. Yellowshadow

Yellowshadow Member

Oggy will come back to nick
    FOP will have at least 30 new characters
    That's about it