1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

What Are You Watching? (Volume 2)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by defunctzombie, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

Been watching the Sean Connery JAMES BOND movies, Dr. No through You Only Live Twice.

I was looking into buying "NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN" and prices on the Blu-Ray editions are CRAZY.
    Someone on EBAY actually want $350.00 dollars. YIKES!!!

2. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Dang! Personally, I wouldn't pay over $10 for Never Say Never Again. It's not that good.

3. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

I don't care how good something is, for that price, it'd better cure cancer or something :p.

There's a Finnish film called Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale. It's apparently a very darkly themed Christmas movie. I don't know much about it, but the trailer has the terrific tagline "He know if you've been bad or good, and he doesn't give a....." Which is pretty funny.

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I have finished watching The Transformers: Victory. The climax was pretty good. Now all I have to do is watch Zone, and I'll be done with the G1 universe.

I've also been re-watching Justice League Unlimited. Such a good series.

5. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Rare Exports was next in my queue and should be here tomorrow. :) The trailer looked promising and I've heard good things. From what I gauge, it's not so much an "evil Santa" story but rather a story based on the mythical creature that was the basis for the Finnish version of Santa. Or something like that.

6. Hanshotfirst1138

Hopefully, if nothing else comes from it, at the very least Bay's new film will get the rest of Transformers: Animated onto DVD. I can dream. And do any comics pick up in G1 anymore, or are they all separate continuities now?

Why is it that the "Complete Series Boxed Sets" are all still in print except the one for BTAS? And God, I wish Netflix would put the DCAU up for streaming.

Apparently it grew out of two short films that are included on the DVD. I'm not saying it's good, bad, or anything in-between, I can't vouch for it, I just thought that line was funny :p.

#626 Hanshotfirst1138, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2012
  7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, season 3 still needs a DVD release.

The comics are still in G1, but its a different G1 than the TV series. Its...complicated, but there are at least four various G1 continuities; the TV series, the Marvel Comics G1, the Dreamwave Comics G1, the IDW G1, and some other stuff.

8. Hanshotfirst1138

Hell, the first two need rereleases, they've been OOP for a while now. I don't see it as very likely, sadly.

I knew that the G1 comics and show had different continuities, not withstanding their vague connections to Beast Wars, I was under the impression the IDW and Dreamwave stuff started from scratch.

9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, Dreamwave and IDW both "rebooted" G1, although Dreamwave's G1 only lasted about a year, so yeah.

And it gets even more complicated in Japan, where they're trying to put the Bay films and Animated into the G1 franchise. .....Yeah.

Anyway, I watched Zone, and its too bad that it wasn't turned into a full series. I mean, all the big villains of the previous series (minus Galvatron) brought back to life with whole new armor? That could have been awesome. Oh well.

I've also been watching the 2011 Thundercats TV series on DVD, along with Digimon Adventure. Good times.

10. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Been watching Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Man, this cartoon rocks!

11. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

Currently watching Girls und Panzer. Basically, it's an anime where girls drive tanks as an extracurricular activity. However, it's actually a rather fun show. You'd think it'd be loaded with fanservice, since 99% of the cast is female, but no, it's only about once every other episode that you see some. Instead it focuses on the girls behind the tanks, who manage to be entertaining and endearing characters, and a plot that actually reminds me of all those Bad News Bears-styled movies that ran the gamut in the late 80s and early 90s, where a cast of students with different personalities join a sports team with a veteran coach leading them through the championship (though in this case, the coach is an actual team member). I can't really describe it, but it's really fun, even if the plot is somewhat predictable. Since I'm among the only people on this forum who've seen it, it's on Crunchyroll and Anime Network for free. I for one hope Americans can get into it, and it can get an English dub (it's licensed by Sentai Filmworks), and I'd really like to see it on TV, probably on Vortexx or Toonami, or maybe even Nicktoons.

12. Magus

Magus The Boss

Been watching Yu Yu Hakusho as of late. Still remains to be one of the better shonen series, but, man, Kuwabara really get on my nerves. He's not nearly as annoying as characters like Krillin, Kon, Shippo and more characters from other shows that I can throw out there, but he's quite annoying. Never know when to keep his mouth shut. Not only that, his fights are boring to me. Because he's not really in the last season is the reason I enjoyed it so much.

After I get done with that series, I'll probably move onto either Soul Eater, Moribito, or Twelve Kingdoms.

13. Tenma975

Tenma975 Active Member

I've been watching some stuff on Netflix lately. I finished Basilisk a little while ago and I'm really getting into Le Chevalier D'eon.

14. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Watched The Hunt For Red October earlier on HDNet Movies. I'd seen bits and pieces over the years, but it was the first time I'd seen it in its entirety since it was in theaters.

Now I've got The Shining on BBC America playing in the background while waiting for the 49ers/Patriots game to start this evening.

15. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Currently watching Hamtaro. I actually didn't like it back in the day because I was more into Pokémon and Digimon, and I didn't like that there was no action/violence in Hamtaro, but now I see that is the whole draw of it. I'm so addicted to it now. It's what I use whenever I'm stressed, had a bad day, am sleep-deprived, can't get my mind off something, or just watched a horror movie, a raunchy comedy, Archer, It's Always Sunny in Philly, Tim and Eric, Family Guy, etc.

What's more is that it doesn't talk down to its audience despite being for a very young one.

16. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I miss Hamtaro. Such a cute show.

17. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

I meant to post this last night, but I watched Struck By Lightning, which Glee star Chris Colfer wrote and starred in. I read the book he wrote based on the screenplay a few weeks ago and adored it. The film was good, too. Not perfect but definitely poignant. Highly recommend it. Super wry and laugh out loud funny at parts but also kind of melancholy.

18. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I saw Man on a Ledge last night. I liked it more than I thought I would, although you need patience to watch this film, since the middle doesn't really go anywhere. The climax was pretty good though.

19. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Finally watched Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale last night and thought it was terrific. Not really horror, but more like a dark fantasy that captures the spirit of kid adventure films from the '80s, not unlike those made by Steven Spielberg and Joe Dante. Very short (minus end credits, it was probably barely an hour and 20 minutes), but takes its time until all hell breaks loose at the end. One of the most unique and fresh Christmas movies I've seen in a long time.

20. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Die Hard. 'Tis the season.

I'm also marathoning my Seinfeld DVDs from beginning to end. But every time I do, there's always a few episodes I skip 'cause I just plain ol' don't care for them - namely, "The Deal" (too much dramedy for this show), "The Kiss Hello" (kinda crosses the line in terms of unprovoked nastiness), "The Chronicle" (god, that Green Day song), and of course "The Finale". As far as I'm concerned, the series ends with "The Puerto Rican Day".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.