What Are You Reading? (Vol. 4)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Almost done with The Claw of the Conciliator by Gene Wolfe.

It tells the second part of the story of a Torturer journey in a far future world where the sun is dim, red, and dying. Wonderfully beautiful.

2. Destiny of Awe

Destiny of Awe Should update a lot of things

I'm (trying) to read this neat book called Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher. It's about a high schooler named Logan who falls in love with a new student named Sage, only to discover that Sage is a transwoman. It's very well written and intriguing. I've only read a three chapter sneak peek and I hope I get time to check it out at the library.

3. Perry

Perry Super... man

I managed to finish David Lipsky's Although Of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself: A Road Trip with David Foster Wallace yesterday at work. One of the best books I've read in recent memory.

Tomorrow, I'm going to start Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. :)

4. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

DOC SAVAGE: THE SINISTER SHADOW by Will Murray.
    While they have met in comic book stories this is the 1st time Doc and The Shadow cross paths in a novel.
    Its a Dozey.
    The Funeral Director kidnaps Lamont Cranson and Ham Brooks which
    sets up the path for this historic crossover event.
    its a GREAT reading experience, Highly Recommanded.

5. Gatomon41

Got done with "Seven American Nights" by Gene Wolfe. The story is framed as a journal from a tourist going to a post-appoclyptic American in the future. The story, like many of Wolfe's other stories, has many layers. There are hints that the journal may have been forged or altered. So the reader has to shift through the the work to get to the real truth.

Currently reading Herbert's God-Emperor of Dune. Though criticized for being too philosophical, the story is perhaps the most imaginative of the Dune series. Set thousands of years after the first 3 Dune books, we see the rule of Leto, who has become a half man, half sandworm.

For those who think that sounds familiar, yes, this is the book being parodied in the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy episode "Mandy the Merciless."

6. cryslynn123

cryslynn123 New Member

I'm starting "The Girl Who Played With Fire" by Stieg Larsson, yup the same person who wrote The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and I just finished re-re-reading "Violets are Blue" by James Patterson - aka my all time favorite mystery thriller novel.

• Like Like x 1
  7. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

I most recently finished Vonnegut's "Player Piano" and "Star Wars Aftermath Life Debt" by Chuck Wendig. I've just started the sixth book in the Expanse series: Babylon's Ashes by James SA Corey.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Neo Yi

Neo Yi A Cargo of Fineries
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I found out Mara Wilson (she of the child actress who played the lead in Matilda, among others) has her own book, Where Am I Now? It's an insightful, funny, heartbreaking, and wonderful series of essays about her life (I had no idea her mother died of cancer during the production of Matilda.) I'm enjoying it immensely.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Gatomon41

Got done with "Nine Princes of Amber" by Roger Zelazny and working on the next book "The Guns of Avalon".

The basic premise is that Earth is part of a multiverse of sorts that are "shadows" of Amber, which according to the protagonist is the world which is reflected in each other parallel dimension. The children of the king can travel the Shadow through memory and will, traveling through this multiverse.

Oh, the Royal family of Amber? Superhuman semi-immortals who have a really, really messed up trust issues. So far enjoying the series.

Been hearing alot of things about those books. How is it?

• Like Like x 1
  10. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

Absolutely love them; favorite thing I read in 2016! Fun characters, good worldbuilding.

• Like Like x 1
  11. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Welcome back, EinBebop! Haven't seen you around in forever.

I've been hearing about the "Expanse" series as well (mostly about how the Syfy channel paid top dollar to get the rights to air the series, because they were hoping for another hit along the lines of Battlestar Galactica. I have yet to watch it...).

I read that series years ago, a very enjoyable story! It was written throughout the 70's and on into the 80's, and I remember when I read it thinking that this is an interesting progression from the High Fantasy of Tolkien in the 50's (the traveling through the multiverse is very psychedelic... Like something you would experience if high on mushrooms or something. Well, it was the early 70's when the first novel came out...). And from "Nine Princes of Amber" to "Game of Thrones" (a product of the late 90's and on into the present), I just find it interesting how much High Fantasy has changed...

• Like Like x 2
  12. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

Thanks!

The reason I got into the books is because the tv series came out, and I was in a forum with a bunch of fans of the books who were all excited. I watched the show and just couldn't follow it. So I decided to read the books and they blew me away, so then I went back to the tv series and they really follow the books great. I think part of the problem is that when I watch tv i'm usually doing something else at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gatomon41

Almost done with The Guns of Avalon

I do have to say it's interesting that as sociopathic and prideful as the Amber royal family is, compared to the characters in Game of Thrones they're rather tame. It's as if Game of Thrones is so dark that corwin and his family Good instances stand out. As jerkish as Ambers nobles are, they're not over the top evil to be cartoon characters.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gatomon41

Finished with The Guns of Avalon, and the story gets an interesting turn of events.

The Princes and Princesses of Amber are an interestingly set: both showing virtue and vice. While I was appalled by some of their behaviors, I can't but help admire their virtues. It makes for interesting character interaction.

But I'll take a break from the surreal world of Amber, and started with The Life and Times of Jerry Cournelius by Michael Morcock. I remember reading a review of this story collection back when there was a Science Fiction Weekly on the Sci-fi channel website. It sounded intriguing.

I'm trying to figure out what the heck I'm reading though - it's certainly trippy and new wave.

15. Gatomon41

The Life and Times of Jerry Cournelius continues to confound me with its post-modern narrative and anti-plots. Still, there is so much style that its living an old BBC Avengers episode or The Prisoner. But I have to re-read the story just to make sure I'm not missing anything.

16. Tumblenerd

Tumblenerd Member

Currently reading De wereld van Christiaan Andriessen (Christiaan Andriessen's World), a collection of early 19th century diary drawings by Christiaan Andriessen. Informal, loosely drawn depictions of his everyday life. Fascinating stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gatomon41

Got done with "The Commodre at Sea" by A. Bertram Chandler. Part of the Commodore Grimes series, which follows the career of a grounded, practical space Sailor who finds himself in the strangest of situations.

The first story gets meta when Grimes is transported into a Hall of Fame, where the most famous popular characters exist, and discovers that he is a writer's creation. Which is nteresting considering Chandler wasn't a new age writer - he was a merchant sailor for most of his life. His prose is direct and easy to read, which helps in dealing with the strangest stuff.

Chandlers experiences as a sailor and officer certainly gives an air of authenticity lacking in many other sci-fi stories. Details that other authors would gloss makes his spacecraft feel real.

We also get to see the Chandler's experiences in two other stories we're nautical knowledge plays a big role.

Finally, a rather heartfelt tale when Grimes and his wife Sonya are sent into a parallel universe were the 2 lived very different lives. Reminds me of the Star Trek TNG episode Tapestry, and feels just as strong.

Overall, I enjoyed the short stories, and wish others would take a look at Chandler's work.

18. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Currently reading The Inheritance and Other Stories from Robin Hobb / Megan Lindholm. I like it so far. This is my first book from the author.

I recently read Darkly Dreaming Dexter and Dearly Devoted Dexter from Jeff Lindsay. They were great :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gatomon41

Currently reading The Islanders by Christopher Priest. His novel The Prestige was adapted by Christopher Nolan, and was the closest we'll ever get to a Batman vs. Wolverine movie.

The Islanders is series of short stories framed as a gazetteer to the strange Dream Archipelago, a chain of islands that surrounds an Earth-like planet. Because of gravitational and temporal anomalies, the Islands can't be mapped reliably from orbit or the air. The best maps are just local charts.

This sets up the strange surreality of the Dream Archipelago, which seems to be much like our modern Earth, yet different in subtle and fantastic ways. It's like reading Murakami or other magical realist writer. There are hints that the narrative is unreliable, and several characters show up over and over again. The worldbuilding in amazing, but much like the name, it's more dreamlike than real.

20. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

Finished reading the Super-Exciting sequel to the above novel, THE EMPIRE OF DOOM.
    Doc Savage and his agents are baffle by the disappearance of a battleship from the Brooklyn Naval Yard and missiles fired on a hotel in downtown NYC.
    But The Shadow knows, as one his old enemies resurfaces to terrorize New York, The Caribbean, and China.
    Once again Doc Savage, The Shadow, and their agents combine forces to battle the menace of the Golden Horde of Shiwan Khan.
    HIGHLY RECOMMANDED for lovers of the pulp era.