1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

What Are You Reading? (Vol. 4)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Forgot my follow-up. I finished The Pretender: Saving Luke, and wow, it was really good. I enjoyed the first novel, Rebirth, but you got a sense that the creators were still finding their footing as novelists. With Saving Luke, however, they've shown remarkable improvement. The trio of Jarod, Miss Parker and Sydney came across as even more compelling, and the suspense really ramped up as Jarod's time frame to save Luke got down to the final days. A couple fan-favorite supporting characters are teased toward the end (one is merely hinted at, but the other makes a cameo), and the climactic moments set aboard a runaway maglev train, upon which all the characters converge for a final showdown, was pretty riveting.

I can't wait for the third novel sometime next year, and am looking forward to the first Young Miss Parker spin-off being released in the meantime.

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Working on Anime: A History by Jonathan Clements, which is very useful for covering a lot of details and context not usually covered in books on the subject. Many touch on the influence of Osamu Tezuka for example, but this is a book that also examines what went on parallel to and before his work and it does a good job of discussing different viewpoints about how things were in the past. Recent history isn't neglected, though. A-grade stuff, very good.

3. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

15/48: Openly Straight by Bill Konigsberg. I'm trying to read books with wider representation, and I enjoyed this one.

4. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

16/48: The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen. This book has been extremely hyped for months, so I was excited to read it when it finally came out this week. While it's not the greatest fantasy I've ever read and it had some gaps in logic, it was quite engrossing and I'm looking forward to the future installments.

5. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

17/48: Landline by Rainbow Rowell. I will read and love everything she writes.

6. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Currently reading Flowers For Algernon. I was introduced to this during eighth grade when the class had to read a few chapters of it, but I liked the concept enough to read the whole book later in High School. Only now did I make the effort to get a copy for myself though.

7. cognitofalcon

cognitofalcon G'night evry' body!!

You'll love it and hate it =)

8. EroSennin

EroSennin The Frog Hermit

I finally finished Best Served Cold by Joe Ambercrombie. It was pretty good but I didn't like the character progression of Shivers

9. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Everybody scream! This is Halloween!

I started reading Project Nemesis, a kaiju thriller. I learned about this book from Colossal Kaiju Combat, an upcoming game that will feature the book's kaiju as a playable character. I'm almost done with the first chapter, so I have a long way to go.

10. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Got done with Jack Williamson's Seetee Shock, which is a pretty good space opera from the 1950's.

The basic premise is that an engineer must finish an anti-matter reactor in one week before scumming to radiation sickness. If he fails, the solar system will be engulfed in war.

Though lacking in complex characterization or hard science, the novel is well paced, has a developed setting, and is a fun read. The politics of the book does mirror pre-WWII era politics (where there are worlds dominated by Fascists, an Empire, and Soviets), but so much time has passed that it now fells fresh. Overall, it's a pretty good.

It's also the first time I've ever read in a sf story in which artificial gravity is used to help terraform asteroids. Not by digging inside an asteroid, but the surface instead. It's rather imaginative, and rather surprised that I haven't seen it more.

11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Now that Marvel has announced an Inhumans film, I rented an Inhumans graphic novel from the library that Marvel released earlier this year. It collects the issues of Fantastic Four where the Inhumans first appeared.

12. Gatordragon

I finished Project Nemesis today. I read through it much faster than I thought I would. Maybe it was my huge interest in the story, maybe it was the fact that it was an e-book on my iPad that allowed me read all 309 pages faster than a paper book. Either way, I was not disappointed from what I read.

Now I'm going to read the sequel book, Project Maigo. It took me less than a month to read Project Nemesis, I'm sure I can finish Project Maigo in about the same time. I'm also thinking about Jeremy Robinson's other books. I haven't been this interested in an author for some time.

13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I've read two Stephen King books in August, Cycle of the Werewolf, and Misery.

Cycle was pretty good, which is impressive considering it's shorter than many kids books.

Misery was in a league of it's own, though! Very, very good! Maybe his scariest book that I've read, and it didn't need ghosts, vampires, werewolves, or any supernatural thing. It's every author's worst nightmare. I loved the ending, too. Perfect mix of sadness, and hope.

On the other end of the spectrum, I also read The Giver. The author has a knack for describing the seemingly un-describable, and it's compelling reading a dystopian book that doesn't feel like Hunger Games. The ending is way too vague for me, though.

14. Gatomon41

Ah yes, I remember the ending to The Giver. Read it back as a Freshman in High School.
    Boy was I angry.

15. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, it was a pretty frustrating ending, to say the least. I'm curious to see how the recent film adaption handles it.

16. EroSennin

EroSennin The Frog Hermit

I just finished Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan. It was a fun read and had been meaning to read it for months. I haven't bought volumes 2 and 3 yet but I will once I finish the rest of the books I own yet haven't read yet.

17. Gatordragon

I just finished Project Maigo today. This sequel to Project Nemesis was a good read, like its predecessor. There were a few spelling errors here and there, but they didn't lessen my enjoyment of the book. The first book had one kaiju, but this one had several. It was interesting experiencing a kaiju battle in literary form. The words provided the base and my imagination fleshed everything out.

Now I'm reading The Epic of Gilgamesh. My roommate gave me this book. It's a very short book, but it's interesting so far.

18. Gatomon41

Currently reading The Dying Earth by Jack Vance. The "novel" is actually several loosely connected short stories set on an earth millions of years in the future. The sun is duller and red, the moon is gone, science is forgotten and magic has returned. You know, like Adventure Time.

Actually... I think this is what Adventure Time is inspired by. It's full of questionable anti-heroes, weird sights, strangeness that just ... shows up. Flynn and Jake would feel right at home in Vance's story.

19. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

I recently read Gone Girl and Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. I've started her third book, Sharp Objects, as well as the memoir Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan

20. Rusakov

Rusakov Member

Voyagers II by Ben Bova.