1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

What Are You Reading? (Vol. 4)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I rented an Uncanny X-Men omnibus from the library. It reminds me why I used to love the X-Men, and Chris Claremont.

2. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

Finally finished Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, which was an extremely accurate portrayal of fandom and fic in the life of, well, someone like me. Moving on to The Waking Dark by Robin Wasserman.

3. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Everybody scream! This is Halloween!

I'm reading Borderlands: The Fallen. It's a novel set within the universe of the Borderlands video game franchise. I bought it for $3.99 at a bookstore. I'm only on page 50, but I'm going to finish it.

It's been a while since I've read a novel for fun. I guess there's too many distractions in my life. I'm going to have to ease up on the video games, TV, graphic novels, and Internet if I'm going to finish this soon. This isn't the first time I have read a novel based on a video game.

4. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

So my New Year's Resolution is to read 4 books per month, for a total of 48 books in 2014.

Book 1: Finished The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson. Intriguing premise but with a better build up than resolution. The writing also left something to be desired. Doubt I'll read the sequels.

Currently reading The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Not much novels to speak of, but comic-wise:

I read that popular Darth Vader & Son comic. Really cute, I liked it.

I also read the Spider-Man comics where the Stacy's died. Gwen's death is still genuinely sad, partly because unlike other comic characters, I don't think she'll be returning.

6. Destiny of Awe

Destiny of Awe Should update a lot of things

I read The Fault in Our Stars. It's actually a pretty good book, though I didn't find it as sad as most people have.

7. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I got that for Christmas. It is indeed totally cute. Some of the stuff in it made me laugh out loud. :D

Now I need to get Darth Vader's Little Princess.

8. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

DOC SAVAGE: The Monsters and The Wiskers of Hercules.

9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, I didn't know they made a second book for Leia. I'll have to read that one too.

10. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

Aaaand finished. 2/48 for the year read.

Up next is the second book in the Gentleman Bastards series, Red Seas Under Red Skies also by Scott Lynch.

11. EroSennin

EroSennin The Frog Hermit

How was it? I've heard really good things about The Lies of Locke and its been on my kindle for 4 months but haven't gotten to it yet.

12. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

I enjoyed it a lot. It took a bit of getting used to at first since it has a non-linear structure (which usually drive me up the wall), but I ended up listening to the audiobook via my Audible subscription and the narrator was wonderful. Definitely some of my favorite adult fantasy I've read in a while.

13. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

And 3/48 complete.

Onto The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch, third in the Gentleman Bastards Sequence

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I finished reading The House of Hades by Rick Riordan. I thought that it was pretty good. Most of the characters had good development, especially Hazel, Frank and Jason. The twist with Nico was surprising. It was a good idea and I can see why he'd go that route with his character, but I think it could have been handled a bit better. Having seven different points of view was surprisingly well handled. The plot in Tartarus did introduce some interesting ideas, like characters considering what they were doing to monsters, and the subplot with the Titan was quite good. I like what I can see him setting up with both Percy and Jason too. The romance was pretty sweet, although I was disappointed that Leo/Hazel isn't happening. I kind of like them more as a couple than Hazel/Frank, but I can see why that wouldn't have worked out for a few reasons. I did get a nice good laugh from the author's dedication at the beginning. He clearly has a good sense of humor.

While I think he handled having seven different points of view pretty well, I think that also felt like there was too much going on all at once. I preferred it when there was only three or four points of view in the other books. It felt a bit more balanced and organized that way. I could also see some of the twists coming ahead of time. Sometimes, it didn't bother me, but other times, it mad the progress a bit more predictable. I also wasn't as into it compared to The Lost Hero or The Mark of Athena, although it was good and engaging. It did have a nice ending and I was glad that it wasn't another major cliffhanger, especially when The Mark of Athena's cliffhanger just blew me away. It was good, had good character development and sets up for the final book pretty well, but it wasn't one of my favorites of the series. I might change my mind when I read it again at some point. I still really like this series, more so than the Percy Jackson series, and I'm really eager to read the final book in the series when it comes out later this year.

15. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

4/48 complete, which reaches my goal for January.

Now reading Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell.

16. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Funny you mentioned The Lies of Locke Lamora, phw. I just picked up the first book because a friend suggested it to me (because she knows I tend to looooove the Lovable Rogue type of characters.) I'm only about 20 pages in, but it's pretty breezy reading so far. :)

17. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

Good stuff! I listened to the audiobooks and loved the narrator. They were super long, though, haha.

Also, I finished Eleanor & Park (5/48) and am moving onto The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.

I'm also reading an essay here and an essay there in Fic: Why Fanfiction Is Taking Over the World.

18. Destiny of Awe

Destiny of Awe Should update a lot of things

I've found some Harry Potter books around my house so I'm rereading my favorite parts for the millionth time. It just never seems to get old for me.

Other than that, I haven't been able to do much reading. My high school's library consists of cheesy novels about sexually frustrated teens and classics I'm going to read anyway in my English classes. I might try to get back to reading a Percy Jackson book or two if I feel like it.

19. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

For the first time, I'm reading some Judge Dredd comics my library have. This collection brings the original strips. Its pretty good, actually. I love Dredd's robot sidekick, Walter.

20. EroSennin

EroSennin The Frog Hermit

I just finished Memories of Ice, book 3 of Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Ericson. Up next is book 4, House of Chains.