1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

What Are You Reading? (Vol. 4)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Punisher

Punisher One Shot At Glory

Oh, there definitely is an ending, just not the kind that anybody was expecting. It took me a while to accept how the series concluded, but now that I've had time to think about it, I do like how the last book ended.

And if you are a fan of King, then I give the Dark Tower series my full recommendation, with the suggestion that you read The Wind Through the Keyhole at its chronological place in the series, and not last. It may take awhile to get through all eight books, but it's well worth it. I am thinking about going through the series again myself.

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Thanks for the reply. I'll start the series in about two weeks, and I'll follow your suggestion regarding Wind Through the Keyhole. I prefer reading things in chronological order.

3. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

The Third Kingdom by Terry Goodkind. It's the next Richard and Kahlan novel post-The Sword of Truth series, which is one of my favorites.

EDIT: I got about 40% through the book and was frustrated with the proportion of exposition to actual plot movement, so moved on to The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp. I finished it in a day and have started Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I've mostly been reading manga. Right now, I'm focusing on Toriko, Blue Exorcist, and Tegami Bachi.

5. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

I'm trying to read Silverwing at a friend's recommendation. It's good but I keep getting distracted from it.

Said friend also recommended The Wainscott Weasel, which I loved.

6. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

Finished Thirteen Reasons Why and The Transfer: A Divergent Short Story by Veronica Roth that was released yesterday. Moving on to The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.

7. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Got the complete Nausicaa, Valley of the Wind set, so I've been reading that lately.

8. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I started reading The Pretender: Rebirth last night, the first in a new series of books that resurrect the '90s NBC television series The Pretender. It's a little disappointing that it's not a direct continuation, meaning all the questions left hanging are not getting their answers. Instead, it is basically starting over, with Jarod having just now escaped from the Centre. So far, the plot of Rebirth is essentially a re-working of the first episode (lines of dialogue and entire scenes are recreated verbatim), with the natural expansion in scope that comes with having a novel-length story. On the plus side, the creators haven't lost their feel for the material. It feels just like the show. So all in all, I can't complain. Just reached the halfway point, and things are progressing nicely.

9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I've begun reading the Stephen King novel The Eyes of the Dragon. Unlike most of King's other works, this one is a traditional medieval fantasy adventure, not horror. Because of that, I hesitated, but after hearing plenty of good things about it, I caved, and I'm glad I did. I'm only a quarter of the way through, and I find myself unwilling to stop. Who knew that King could actually write non-scary stuff?

10. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

DOC SAVAGE: The Miracle Menace. Another great read by Will Murray.

11. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Feeling down, so I re-read The Hobbit. Feel a lot better :)

12. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

Oh, really? That's actually good to know since I was planning to wait to read it until I'd finished my rewatch. But if it's not a continuation, I can just go ahead and read it.

13. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

Read the final book in the Divergent trilogy, Allegiant. It was... something. I'm still processing.

14. Gatomon41

Finishing off The Arm of the Starfish by Madeleine L'Engle.

While set in the same universe as A Wrinkle In Time (Meg and Calvin show up), it's more akin to a technothriller than science fantasy. It follows a young researcher who is caught in between a conflict over a new discovery that could be used for good or evil.

It's tense and effective even all the decades it was written. And for a book written for "young Adults", it's enjoyable even for older people. I certainly like it.

Oddly enough, the main character is a young guy unsure about the world around him, naive and a bit innocent. And a potential love interest is a blonde dominating spoiled rich girl. They go to Spain. I kept on thinking that Gundam 00's Saiji and Louise were really the main characters in this book.

15. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I've finally begun reading the Attack on Titan manga. Exciting stuff.

16. Gatomon41

Finished "Arm of the Starfish", and going into L'Engle's "A Wind In the Door".

17. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Just started reading Clive Barker's The Hellbound Heart, after watching Hellraiser for the first time a couple weeks ago.

18. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

How similar are the book and the film? I've seen the movie several times, but I've never read it.

19. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's actually very similar. I've read that Barker basically wrote the novella almost as a film treatment to help in acquiring financing for the movie. Some differences are that Larry is named Rory, Kristy is just a good friend instead of his daughter, and the Cenobites play an even somewhat smaller role than they do in the film. Also, Pinhead is never referred to as such (in fact, none of the Cenobites are named, so sometimes you're not sure which ones are talking), but one that appears only in the first chapter does fit his description. There are other little minor things here and there (including details of the puzzle box and how the ending plays out), but overall it's very similar to the film. I liked it, and it actually helped explain some of the confusion I had watching the movie. Fast read, too. Got through the whole thing in one evening.

Barker has completed a new book, The Scarlet Gospels, that will detail "the end of Pinhead" and also feature his paranormal P.I. Harry D'Amour, so I'll be curious to check that out whenever it's finally published.

20. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I picked up Jim Henson's latest bio. Good stuff.