1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

What Are You Reading? (Vol. 4)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Jan 15, 2013.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I was looking for a novel in this thread to toss in as a bonus in the "Book of the Month" Selection thread, and now that I've studied a little as to what "The Magicians" is about, I think it's worthy to be chosen for "Book of the Month". Consider it added to the choices in this month's poll. :)

2. wonderfly

I've been reading some Marvel Comics again (digital ones available on the "Marvel Unlimited" website). Focusing on a mixture of 70's/80's material along with "new" stuff from the last 3 or 4 years...I'll try and post some reviews in the "Let's Talk Comics" thread on the CBC forum as I go...

3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I've also been reading some Marvel Comics from the library. I rented some Hulk comics from the 80s, some morn Ultimate Spider-Man comics, and Marvel Adventures.

4. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

Finished a DOC SAVAGE story, "The Midas Man".

5. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I am reading Enchantress from the Starsright now. I like how there are multiple plots going on at once. I also think that this is one of the books that inspired Avatar.

6. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Finished a re-read of Howl's Moving Castle. It's a good book, but I think the ending is a little rushed as far as Howl and Sophie are concerned. The majority of the book has Howl grumbling about Sophie, and yet all of a sudden they're together once she's back to normal.

For all the heat the movie gets, this is something I think it handled much better.

7. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I picked up a copy of Gamespite Quarterly Vol. 8 while I was at a con yesterday. This one in particularly is about the era of the original PS1. This thing is also 436 pages, so it's a veritable tome.

8. kate124

kate124 New Member

I am reading an article about the reasons of cardiac arrests. It is very informative and suggests tips to avoid heart attacks

#28 kate124, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2013
  9. Dr.Pepper

I am reading The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate. I didn't know this book was written by some author as the Animorphs books.

10. GraphicNovel

GraphicNovel New Member

The Witcher-Saga by Andrzej Sapkowski after I've been playing the video games. Really, really good stuff - next to Game of Thrones the best fantasy I've read in years. The style is functional, witty and fluent, the characters are complex and interesting and it has a lot of action and dynamic to it.

11. Dr.Pepper

I am reading Silverhair by Stephan Baxter. I like it apart from all the violence. I would like to see it as an animated movie (with the carnage and sex toned down and/or removed).

12. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I've been reading some Digimon manga, including V-Tamer and NEXT. I can't believe I waited this long to read them!

13. wonderfly

I recently finished "The Gripping Hand" (the sequel to "The Mote In God's Eye"). It was an excellent read, not as great as the original novel, but still good (not sure why "Gripping Hand" gets dismissed as a lackluster sequel). The ending was perhaps rather abrupt...but I still liked it. I may have to renominate it for the Book Club some time soon to discuss more fully. :)

14. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

I'm starting House of Leaves...wish me luck. XD

15. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

After reading some Digimon manga, now I've been reading some Fire Emblem manga. I've also begun Blue Exorcist.

16. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm in the middle of Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. It's fluffy, beach reading but I'm enjoying it.

17. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

18. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I've been reading Beet: The Vandel Buster. Its really good, but it stinks that it's been on hiatus for over 6 years...

19. Punisher

Punisher One Shot At Glory

Just finished The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King. It was a lot better than I had anticipated. It's probably one of my favorite Dark Tower books now, and makes me wish he'd write a few more.

20. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I really like King's books, but I never read the Dark Tower series because I heard that there wasn't an ending. Do you think it's worth reading even with no ending? If you recommend it, I'll try them out.