What Are You Listening To? (9th Album)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by wonderfly, Jan 18, 2013.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Time for a fresh edition of "What Are You Listening To?"! Tell us what's of interest to you in the world of music (contemporary, classic, rock, rap, polka, whatever you're into!) ;)

Also, while it's not required, when you post what you're reading, don't just list the name of the album, song, or band, share what you find intriguing about that album,song, band (etc)!

Have a band or album that you're enjoying that you want to discuss in depth? Feel free to start up a talkback thread in the Musiquarium for that band, album (whatever)!

This thread though is a place to give a quick shout out on what music is of interest to you currently.

Previous Editions:
    First Album
    Second Album
    Third Album
    Fourth Album
    Fifth Album
    Sixth Album
    Seventh Album
    Eighth Album

So....WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO?!?

2. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Listened to Tori Amos' "Little Earthquakes" album just the other night. First time I had played it in a couple of years. It's just one of those albums that defined an era, and it was one of the most frequently visited alternative albums I listened to while in High School.

3. PunkPhantom

PunkPhantom Addicted to Toons & Tunes

In a crooked little town
    they were lost and never found
    fallen leaves fallen leaves fallen leaves
    On the ground

Fallen Leaves by Billy Talent from their amazing album Billy Talent II

4. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Currently I'm listening to Thinking About You by Frank Ocean. Although earlier I was listening to the complete soundtracks of FF VII and the DKC games.

5. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Demi Lovato- "Heart Attack"

This actually came out a week earlier than it was supposed, but it's already #1 in at least 9 different countries right now, including the US. The opening is kinda weak, but the song picks up almost immediately after, even if I can't say that it's a favorite yet. The use of guitar is very welcome, and Demi's voice is as strong as ever[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. I'm certainly glad it's here, and if you're a fan of any of her previous work, I recommend buying it on iTunes now.[/FONT]

6. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

Started listening to "Bones" by MS MR on repeat after watching the most recent Game of Thrones trailer.

7. magicdog

magicdog Active Member

I happened to find myself listening to an underrated rock group from the 60s called "The Critters". They had two top 40 hits ("Dieingly Sad" and " Younger Girl ") but appeared to have lacked the promotion and support of their label, Kapp Records. It also didn't help that several members of the band were taken out of the music scene for a while thanks to the draft.

I'd heard the song "Dieingly Sad" on the radio and I tried to track it down using the lyrics, when I came across a band name I didn't recognize. When I listened to some of their other material, I was impressed! Much of their work can be compared favorable to bands like The Byrds, The Turtles or Lovin' Spoonful, but it's a crime they didn't get more love back in the day.

Some of my favorite tunes of theirs (which I got off of iTunes) include, "Dieingly Sad", "Younger Girl" (which really rivals the version Lovin' Spoonful recorded), "Children & Flowers" (written by Jackie De Shannon) " Don't Let The Rain Fall Down On Me", "Gone For A While" and "Bad Misunderstanding".

I also have been listening to a CD of The Banana Splits. There I said it!

I know they're often seen as little more than a bubblegum band on a kid's TV show, but a lot of the tunes are very listenable even after all these years. Great songwriters and vocalists contributed to the album they released, which helped, although as far as I know, I don't think any of their singles ever charted - though I think some should have. Songs like "I Enjoy Being a Boy" , "Wait Till Tomorrow", "Pretty Part Of You" and "First Kid On My Block" are just some of the standouts. If they'd been sung by more conventional singers of the period, I think they would have gone top 40. "Wait Till Tomorrow" and "Pretty Part Of You" sound like Gary Puckett type songs, while "First Kid On My Block sounds very close to the style of Gary Lewis & The Playboys or The Monkees.

8. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Been listening to the new albums by Cartel ("Collider") and Sevendust ("Black Out the Sun"). I remember when these bands were signed to major labels and now they're self-releasing some seriously great material, but now no one's really listening.

9. magicdog

magicdog Active Member

Jo Stafford, "Moonlight In Vermont". Never heard the song before today. A song in which the lyrics don't even rhyme and even contains a haiku!

10. PunkPhantom

PunkPhantom Addicted to Toons & Tunes

Halfway There- Rise Against

I have to say listening to this album (Revolutions Per Minute) while reading the News & Politics thread makes me feel pretty riled up.

11. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

Been listening to the JACK BENNY radio program. VERY FUNNY!!!

12. Loony Ally

Loony Ally New Member

13. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

I've been listening to the new Fall Out Boy album, Save Rock and Roll. I was never big into their music before, but I really, really like this album.

14. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The last two weeks I've been getting to know my supervisor more on a personal level and we got to talking about music. I've always been a casual Beastie Boys fan so naturally I've never heard of their second album, Paul's Boutique. Today I found it and started listening to it. I think its great album and the crazy amount of samples is nuts.

15. Captain Travis

Picked up the new Flaming lips album the terror pretty awesome stuff

16. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

I just bought Ghost's (or I guess they go by Ghost B.C. now, due to legal reasons, but they'll always be plain-old Ghost to me) new album, ad I'm currently playing it. So far I'm digging it very much. It fits well with their previous album's traditional heavy metal sound, but sounds fresh enough to hold its own. The band is filled with great musicians, and one hell of a vocalist in Papa Emeritus II, who keeps up his subdued King Diamond-esque range here.

Who they really are will remain a mystery for a while, but I don't care, this is keen.

17. copper20

copper20 Member

Leper Messiah (Metallica)

It's music like this that needs more praise than stupid Nicki Minaj or Lady Gaga.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Started listening to the new Kid Cudi album. Not liking it as much as the second one so far.

19. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

Johnny Otis- "All Night Long"

I've been on a vintage R&B kick. A lot of this gels just as well today as it did back then.

20. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Can't stop listening to Fleetwood Mac's new song, "Sad Angel." Heard it on the radio driving back home this afternoon and loved it.