1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the top five animated movies or shows that scare/scared you?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Lavenderpaw, May 27, 2012.

1. Lavenderpaw

Lavenderpaw Essense Of Love

What are the top six animated movies or shows that scare/scared you?

(As a kid or otherwise) I saw a sequence on Youtube today - no thanks to The Nostalgia Critic - that frightened me as a child. Now, I would always cover my eyes when horror movies came on or plug my ears when I couldn't mute them, but there are just some things that unnerve me in animation. I will add what inspired my fears in my count down. Also, movies or shows I didn't see but freak me out too much will be included.

6. Ren and Stimpy - Their antics didn't scare me so much as leave me wanting to avoid them as I grew older. One day I merely decided it was too much - they were riding in a car with some gangster mafia - and I flipped the channel, disgusted and disturbed. I was only eight. O_O

5. The Siamese cats in Lady and the Tramp. I must profess my love for Lady when she gets her collar and that splendid little spaghetti scene... but those cats led me to nightmares. Their creepy confidence as they perused the house, those eyes and such as they rub against Lady. They had me thinking that they were going to turn into dark shadows and pull me under my bed at night. Rugrats didn't make that any easier in the monster-under-the-bed episode but at least that show always had the babies facing their fears and finding out that what they were scared of was harmless in the end. Sheesh.

4. (The reason I started this countdown) Forte, from Beauty and the Beast The Enchanted Christmas. He's a pipe organ, you see. And he comes alive and offers seemingly kind advice to our protagonist the Beast. For his creepy voice and even creepier movements - CGI, no less - he always terrified me as a child. Seldom could an animated movie bring out such emotions in me. He was true evil, manipulating our hero while trying to comfort him. I'm not sure why but I could never find any redeeming qualities. He merely wasn't a character I could come to understand.

3. Ah, yes. I almost forgot about this little beauty: An episode from the show Fantastic Max - it was like Rugrats on steroids - and his robot friend or something. There was an episode where something bad happens to Max and his robot friend is scared out of their minds. No, I can't remember exactly, I was five or six. But I swear that it scarred me. BTW, I was only reminded from viewing another thread. Thanks. Jesus, I thought nothing was worse then Forte. XD

2. Plague Dogs. Yes, I'm a wuss. I'm a wuss on top of all wusses. I cover my eyes when it's on a Youtube animated countdown, I avoid images I find online. My curiosity drove me to search out what were the darkest animated movies and just the description of this one made my skin crawl. Puppies dying of plague, no thanks.

1. Watership Down. Yep, I'm a wuss. I've seen the cute bunny images and then the not so cute ones. There's one in my head as I type this. As my curiosity grew more morbid I sought out this little number which I'm sure would send me to an early grave. For the last three or four years after I found out the existence of these two animated movies - I may see Graveyard of the Fireflies someday, it doesn't seem as scary - they have, er, "plagued" me with horrifying speculation.

Regular paranoia, I know, but if they're worse than Forte than I know I'm going to abandon ship on animation. NIMP kind of gave me goosebumps for a while, when I was a teenager, but I saw it and it's not too bad.

#1 Lavenderpaw, May 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2012
  2. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

The only things from a TV show I remember scaring me were:
    • The sirens in the episode of Ducktales that was an homage to The Odyssey. The sirens themselves weren't too creepy but the monster underneath them was.
    • I may be way off on this but I remember seeing an episode of Bucky O'Hare where somebody (I think it was a villain) got sucked into a machine.
    • I remember seeing a cartoon (I am really thinking it was Batman: TAS but I am not sure) that involved a lady cutting her finger on a piece of broken wine glass. She sucked on her wound and turned into a werewolf.

3. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

1. Courage the Cowardly Dog - When I was two, I used to be scared of the scary-looking villains in that show. Remember, Eustace's big mask? But now that I'm 12, the show doesn't scare me that much. However, I don't like its horror.

2. Regular Show - The show scares me sometimes mostly because of Benson yelling a lot. Also there are others like Death that scares me.

3. SpongeBob SquarePants - Yes. I know SpongeBob is a kiddie show but look at this picture: http://spongebob.wikia.com/wiki/Subliminal_Message_Girl. Creepy right?

4. Powerpuff Girls - When I was little, Mojo Jojo and Him were the ones that scare the heck out of me. Especially Him, who has the creepy voice. Mojo Jojo on the other hand just plain scares me because of his big head.

5. Gravity Falls - I know this show hasn't aired yet but its horror just scares me to death!

4. King9

King9 Embraced One

When I was little there were a few parts in The Brave Little Toaster that scared the heck out of me. Most recently there were a few creepy parts in the End of Evangelion. I guess :p

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I know I'm dating myself here, but as a little kid I was deathly afraid of that flying animated cape in the opening titles of Nanny and the Professor. I used to run out of the room and hide under my bed whenever that thing came on.

6. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

5. The Lord of the Rings (Bakshi) - All that freaky rotoscoping.

4. Le Planet Sauvage - Creepy blue aliens before Avatar

3. Now Hear This - Seriously WTF Chuck? (the big ben Warner logo didn't help)

2. There Will Come Soft Rains (Russian version) - I just watched this recently. ...I honestly don't know what to say really.

1. ANY AND EVERYTHING GENE DEITCH EVER DIRECTED - Seriously who kept giving this guy money? Creepy music and at times disturbing character designs.

7. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I can't think of five, but the one that freaked me out the most was watching Ralph Bakshi's "Hey Good Lookin'" on HBO when I was about six or seven. It was just way too intense and gritty for me, and there's a sequence where Crazy is hallucinating and killing guys that may have been avant garde coolness to adults, but was nightmarish to me.

8. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

You're mistaken. They were riding with two circus midgets.
    I don't see what's so scary/disturbing about that short, save for the dissonant music (and lack thereof in many scenes). I actually think it's one of Chuck's better later shorts; he played with the visual and audio medium in creative ways. And I get some laughs out of it.

Now THAT is creepy. If the shot of the ashes of humans falling to the floor from their sleeping capsules isn't creepy, then the robot house performing all the chores without any knowledge that its inhabitants are long dead surely is. Quite an unsettling Cold War-era story, and thanks to the current Iran and North Korea situations, it's still relevant today. Unfortunately.
    "DICKY MOE!!!!!!!!"

As for one of my top choices, Shadow Puppets.

9. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Dude I was nine... gimme a break.

And if we're on the subject of stuff that scared me when I was 10 or 11 but doesn't do it now, I'd nominate quite a bit of Robot Carnival.

10. Itchy

Itchy Scratchy's enemy

Judge Doom from Who Framed Roger Rabbit

The Boogeyman from The Real Ghostbusters

Homer's face melt in The Simpsons.

Those are the ones I can think of now.

11. VeiledHat

VeiledHat Pineapple from Heck

I was scared of that girl too, but not as much as the hot sauce drop in the episode Karate Choppers.

A lot of shows with loud sounds (ex. if a character sneezed too loud) would set me off. Dora the Explorer was actually pretty intense if you were three. My mom sat me and my siblings down when I was like four and made us watch Pee Wee's Playhouse, a show she liked back in the 80s, with her. It was creepy and weird and I didn't fully get over it until I was ten. I also stumbled across, when I was five, the Pink Elephants. I forgot about it quickly, though, and now that's one of my favorite Disney scenes. Yeah, that's all I was freaked out by.

12. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Can't find many things I fond scary. I started watching Death Note when I was 12 and it didn't scare me :cool: :D I didn't find the Detective Conan mangas scary either.

I do remember being scared of some Courage the Cowardly Dog episodes when I was 6 or 7 or so. And The Animals of Farthing Wood when I was in kindergarten. That show is so stupid. They just let everyone die, and then they run out of characters so the group meets new animals and those die as well!

I think I was afraid of the Evil Queen in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs as well.
    My mom agrees. She says we had to cry every time Snow White died, and then she had to spoil it in order to comfort us, but that didn't help. "No worries! The prince will kiss her! Come on, we've seen this hundreds of times already!" :D In kindergarten I probably found some Tarzan scenes scary as well.

Oh, and The PowerPuff Girls episode "Speed Demon" was also scary the first time I saw it. I was 5 years old back then. (almost 6) When I got older it started getting funny to me. I know the text by heart. "Ik stond hier en ze vlogen weg! Vijftig jaar! Vijftig jaar! Vijftig jaar!" xD

All I could think of. The World War II scenes from Alfred Jodocus Kwak didn't scare me AFAIK. Neither did Samurai Jack.

13. ZukoFan

ZukoFan Member

I can't remember many animated things that terrified me, but here are a few:

I loved Tom and Jerry episodes as a kid, but several episodes, especially since the show was essentially for kids, terrified me because they were really messed up. I don't remember the episode's name, but there was one where Tom gets his head chopped off by a guillotine at the end, and I had nightmares about that word for weeks. In addition, there was a creepy episode called Heavenly Puss where Tom dies again, but this time it shows what happens to him in eternity. I won't go into details, but it's horrifying (there's a similar scene in Mickey's Christmas Carol with Scrooge dangling over flames coming out of his coffin).

I was scared by several villain deaths, too, particularly Hopper's from A Bug's Life. To this day I hate that scene.