1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the different "generations" (age groups)? Question about Millennials...

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Oct 17, 2016.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I've been hearing a lot about "Millennials" lately (that this supposedly is the first election they'll get a chance to vote in). But I'm not understanding that: if you were born after the new Millennium (from January 1st, 2000 onward) you haven't turned 18 years old yet!

What are the different generations, and where do they begin/end?

I think everybody has heard about the "Baby Boomers" - the group of people born from post-World War 2 (1945) to the early to mid 60's.

Beyond that, we've heard about "Generation X" and "Generation Y"...and now we have "Millennials". When do these generations begin or end?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I'm kind of confused on Millennials too. I used to think they were people born in the 21st century, but sometimes I hear that they are people who were kids/young teens in 2000. Sometimes I hear about millennials taking over the work place and another time I heard about someone pandering to millennial's childhood nostalgia by using Dora the Explorer.

Generation X is after baby boomers. It's late 60's to early 80's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Wait, so I'm a Millennial? Wow :D

4. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

• Like Like x 1
  5. wonderfly

If only generations had clear cut "begin" and "end" points, but that's often not the case. I've seen some people say a generation is as little as 15 years, to as many as 20 to 25 years.

I think it's something like this:

1945-1965: Baby Boomers are born.
    1965-1980: Generation X is born.
    1980-1995: Generation Y is born.
    1995-2010: Millennials are born.

And so that's why the early Millennials are now able to vote "for the first time".

• Like Like x 1
  6. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Generation Y and Millenials are pretty much the same like Legofan said born between 1982 and 2004

• Like Like x 1
  7. Red Arrow :D

That would be too logical for this world ;)
    It's apparantly perfectly possible for a Generation Y person to be a Millenial as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wonderfly

Yes, after reviewing that article Legofan linked to...it claims "Generation Y" is just a thing made up by Pop Culture. Well it feels like I've heard of "Generation Y" for years, and I only started hearing about "Millennials" within the last year or two.

I prefer this article:
    http://socialmarketing.org/archives/generations-xy-z-and-the-others/

It has "Generation Y" and "Millennials" as the same thing as well. Also, I kind of like that it splits the Baby Boomers into 2 groups (Yes, the "Baby Boomers" parents were still pumping out babies, but I'm sure it's true that kids born in the late 40's were a lot different then kids born in the early 60's). Also, it says "Generation Z" is what's been being born over the last 20 years...

I was born in 1976, and my younger brother was born in 1980, so depending on which timeline you go with, we're either late Generation X or early Generation Y. I kinda feel like I belong to both demographic groups...

• Like Like x 1
  9. wonderfly

Been studying this some more, and the more I think about it, I now subscribe to the theory that one generation = "every 18 years". That's what one of the links above advocated, I think. Or I read it somewhere.

So here's the generations, as I see it:

The "Greatest Generation"
    Born: 1910 - 1927

The generation that lived through the Depression and fought World War 2. The oldest ones came of age just in time for the stock market to crash in 1929, while the youngest grew up as kids during the Depression. Those born in the middle (1916 to 1921) were the ones mostly likely to head off to war (they were in their 20's in 1941 when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor).

By the way, the older ones of the previous generation (Born 1892 to 1909) were the ones that fought in World War 1, while the younger ones of the previous generation were the ones that enjoyed the "Roaring 20's".

The Silent Generation:
    Born: 1928 - 1945

These are the ones that were too young to fight in World War 2. They came of age just in time to reap the rewards of the economic boom in the Post-WW2 economy. Though the older ones of this generation would end up going off to the Korean War in the early 50's.

Baby Boomers:
    Born: 1946 - 1963

The generation that started up following the end of World War 2. The older ones went off to fight in Vietnam, the younger ones grew up in the shadow of Watergate, and went to Led Zeppelin or Rolling Stones concerts, or danced to Disco music in nightclubs. The older ones (born in the 40's) may identify more with the "Silent Generation", while the younger ones (born in the early 60's) may identify more with Generation X. But if you were born smack dab in the middle (1952 to 1957) you are 100% "Baby Boomer".

Generation X:
    Born: 1964 - 1981

The generation that started being born when Vietnam was at it's height, while the generation ends with the start of the Reagan presidency. The older ones enjoyed Saturday morning cartoons featuring Scooby Doo, Fat Albert and Superfriends, the later ones would enjoy the 80's action cartoon boom (He-Man and G.I. Joe, etc). The older ones enjoyed the late 70's/early 80's arcade boom, the younger ones stayed at home playing their Nintendo and Super Nintendo's.

The very tail end of this generation (along with the very early ones of the next generation) became adults just in time to experience the September 11th attacks. The older ones may identify more with "Baby Boomers", while the younger ones may identify more with "Millenials", but if you were born in the middle (1970 to 1975) you are 100% "Generation X".

Millennials (aka "Generation Y"):
    Born: 1982 - 1999

The generation that started being born during the 80's Reagan economic boom. The older ones grew up on Disney Renaissance classics (from The Little Mermaid to The Lion King) the younger ones on Pixar films. As I said above, the older ones of this generation became adults just in time for the September 11th attacks, and the ones towards the middle/end of this generation were coming of age just in time for the Great Recession of 2009/2010.

The older ones may identify more with "Generation X" while the younger ones may identify more with "Generation Z", but if you were born in the middle (1988 to 1993) you are 100% "Millennial".

"Generation Z"
    Born: 2000 - 2017

This is the generation that grew up in a post-September 11th climate, during the first years of the "War on Terror". We are just now wrapping up the current generation this year, and they will be coming of age over the next several years. We'll be finding out more about them and maybe give them a better name (like "Millennials") later on...

Sidenote: For clarification, I'm being very loose with the words "coming of age". To me "coming of age" is anything that occurs between getting your driver's permit (age 16) and graduating from college (between age 22 to 25, usually).

10. Dr.Pepper

I think a lot of people get Millennials confused with Gen Z. I'm always hearing stuff like Millennials grew up with tablets, smart phones, social media, etc. I was born in 1989 so that makes me a Millennial, but I wouldn't say I grew up with that stuff because they did not exist or did not become prevalent until I was in my late teens/early 20's. I have exactly zero childhood memories of watching You Tube videos and using emojis.

11. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

^ Same. I'm technically in the "Millennial" grouping but I hardly consider myself one, because I'm at the very start of it. I remember having to go to the local library to use the internet, because few had it in their homes. I had a SNES when it was brand new. I didn't even get a cell phone until 2008, and I still don't own a smartphone (more the monthly price than anything at this point). I know what records are. YouTube wasn't a thing until halfway through college. I can go on and on, but I realize I'm sounding like an old man right now.

12. Red Arrow :D

Vague terms like these aren't supposed to have clear defintions, so it's for the best not to give them any. Let evolution run its course. Eventually only one definition will survive. No need for any of us to decide which one that will be.

A bit like the word "irony". The meaning on this word changed in the last 50 (100?) years in the US, but the rest of the world is still figuring out whether or not we should follow. There are people (especially teenagers) who stick with one definition and get angry when you don't use it "their way". Others (like me) avoid the word like the plague. You don't need this word at all.

Same with sarcasm, which is irony, but sarcasm isn't irony... : O

Or what about "90s kids"? :D Even that is up to discussion. Someone born in 1980 was still a kid in 1991. Someone born in 1999 also calls himself a 90s kid. Facebook is loaded with pages like: "Only 90s kids remember Braceface, As Told By Ginger, Billy & Mandy, KND, Kim Possible, etc!" Uhm... They do?

13. wonderfly

True, and that's why I originally created this thread a few months back, because I was getting them confused. Since then, I've done some research, and from everything I can see, a "Millennial" is someone who was "coming of age" after the start of the new Millennium. NOT someone who was born after the start of the new Millennium.

And yes, like with the previous generations, there's a bit of blending between the two generations, with those who were born in the late 90's/very early 00's.

A very good example. Does being born in the 70's make me a "70's kid"? Well, I guess it does, but not in terms of my sense of identity...

I was in Junior High and High School in the early to mid 90's, and was in college in the late 90's, but I feel I could consider myself a "90's kid". Well, definitely an 80's kid.

I have a theory, but I think people identify mostly with what was going on when they were between ages 10 to 30. At least in terms of pop culture. Or maybe between ages 15 to 25 (the prime "coming of age" years). It's like my dad: he used to listen to this oldies radio station, and I realized: music ended for him in the early 70's. If it was an album released after 1975, he didn't know it, or didn't care for it, and couldn't hum the tune if he tried. And I fear I reached that point myself just a few years ago.

And with television, that sensation you get when you can still enjoy modern TV shows, but you find yourself drawn to watch old reruns on Netflix/Hulu...I think a lot of people reach that point, eventually (in their 30's or 40's)...but now I'm sounding like an old man. :)

#13 wonderfly, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  14. Red Arrow :D

I was born in 1997 and I consider myself a 90s/00s kid, having grown up with DuckTales, Hey Arnold, Dexter's Laboratory, Cow and Chicken, Friends, The Simpsons, Animaniacs, classic Walt Disney shorts, Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, etc. Here in Belgium those shows were still aired regularly around 2005.

Honestly I barely know anyone who is into the current radio music. The hitlists aren't as reliable as they used to and more than ever now radio stations have no idea what the public likes to hear. In the 90s the only thing they needed to do was looking at the list of most popular CDs, but why would someone in 2017 buy a CD?!

Only exception might be Ed Sheeran and those Spanish / Latino summer hits. Those songs are quite popular.

15. Dr.Pepper

I think you were a '90's teen or young adult. Not really a kid.

I remember reading somewhere that the stuff you're into when you first go through puberty often times are the stuff you like for the rest your life. For example I remember when I was a younger kid I got a new favorite animal every couple of months, until late in the school year of 5th grade I started to like kangaroos and they were my favorite ever since.