1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

What animated works do you find better than Batman: The Animated Series?

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Milestone3Z, Apr 20, 2011.

1. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Wow, it's surreal reading a post you made six years ago and totally disagreeing.

I've watched a few episodes of Batman: The Animated Series lately and while I love the background designs (buildings, cars) and colors I just about die when I see the poorly timed animation and really awkward, zoomed-out layouts. As I've looked back throughout Dragon Ball over the years I'd have to say the same about it, too. There are few interesting layouts that branch away from eye-level shots. Dragon Ball Super has been much better about this, though.

If I have to make some new mentions, though, it'd definitely be Shin Seiki Evangelion (the twenty-six episode original series, the home video cuts for Episodes #21-24, and the theatrical film remakes of #25-26). Without a doubt, that is the greatest television series I have ever seen. It took its dwindling production schedule in complete stride and nevertheless managed to create the most cathartic and interesting set of characters and narrative possible. One episode it was a super robot series, the next it was a romantic school comedy and the next it was telling you it felt good to destroy everything and everyone. The voice cast, musical score, dialogue, colors, gore, sexuality, storyboarding, layouts, editing and the incredible way in which it turned reusing animation into an art form will forever stand as a testament to the power of the serialized television series and the medium of animation to convey genuine feelings in an abstract but easily digestible manner. Pure, unadulterated genius led by a man who was deep in the throes of his own depression.

I find it interesting how the replies here are pretty incestuous. It really goes to show the demographic of this forum.

2. lucas

lucas Member

Many said that the avatar and the gargoyles had an advantage against the dcau because it was made from scratch but the batman beyond is also an original material and almost has stories as good as batman

not invent things no one here spoke in insesto

#82 lucas, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2017
  3. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Batman Beyond is based on an established character and practically a sequel to two other series. It's hardly made from scratch,even if it tries to stand on its own feet.

I'd say that Avatar and Gargoyles are apart of the incestuousness I was talking about. Mind you, a lot of this stems from the US market and industry being a wasteland for creativity, but it wouldn't hurt to poke around outside of what one might find on TV. The internet exists for a reason, after all.

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Interestingly, Batman: TAS has only gotten better with time for me. I think part of why is that it actually lets the action breathe and creates a unique atmosphere because of it. Nowadays, you could never get away with showing a character walking down a dark corridor for ten seconds. The attention span of the average viewer today is less than zero.

Also, the show still looks unique, with its very black color palette.

And the orchestral score is still one of the best. Thank God for those soundtrack albums released a few years back.

Where the show hasn't aged well is its action. It's not awful (I mean it's no New Adventures of Batman or anything), but even the creators have admitted they've learned tricks on how to speed up the action to enhance its intensity. It was in that growing pains period of action-oriented animation, and it shows in certain episodes. The TMS episodes still look fantastic, however.

#84 SB20xx, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  5. lucas

lucas Member

Seriously I think that in terms of animes there is a lot more creativity since most of it is an almost literal adaptation of its source material while the comic strips based in the United States only pick up key elements but create something new then if the United States does not have Creativity Japan has even less in my view
    And more I think you're overreacting has several original animated series in the United States like oban star racer, avatar anng, jack samurai, gargoyles, exosquard, shawdow raiders, bionic titans etc.

6. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Well, if that is your attitude then I don't know what you really want. Both Avatar: The Last Airbender and Disney's Gargoyles were made with a younger demographic in mind, so neither one could be expected to be particularly 'edgy'. That they were as good and as original as they were and were still allowed to be made is a minor miracle.

Right now we are in the midst of another renaissance in American animation, at least in terms of writing, with shows like Steven Universe and Rick and Morty.

7. lucas

lucas Member

The legal consistency of this discussion begins as series that are better than batman and happens to be an analysis and discourse on the American animation market I love this forum

But I agree with you, Mr. Captain Harlock.
    And I must emphasize that the anime is not in its best time

#87 lucas, Jun 28, 2017
  8. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Oban Star Racers is a coproduction between Japan and France.

9. Egon1982

Egon1982 Member

What about Spawn TAS?

10. lucas

lucas Member

Truth I was wrong when I spoke the United States I wanted to speak the West as a whole and when I spoke to Japan I meant the Orient as a whole

About being a time of rebirth I do not agree with that I do not think that the American animation had a bad time in the years 2000
    X men evolution
    Static shock
    Justice League
    Samurai jack
    Invazor zim
    He man 2002
    Ninja turtles 2003
    Star wars clone wars
    Spider man 2003
    Teen titans
    Code lioko
    Megas xrl
    Witch
    The batman
    the bondocks
    Oban star racer
    trasformers animated
    chowder
    Star wars the clone wars
    Spider man 2008
    Wolverine and the x men
    Wakfu
    G1 joe resolute
    regular show
    archer

Mod Note: Double Post merged. Please use the Edit button instead of posting twice or more in a row. Also, try and avoid posting only lists in your comments.

#90 lucas, Jun 28, 2017
  11. Wendy Long

Wendy Long New Member

In my opinion, I like the most spider man.

12. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

I'll put it another way. Why bother coming into a thread to talk about what series is better than the series on subject when you only mention a meddling series for kids from twenty-five years and fifteen years ago? In other words, the scope of the discussion seems terribly limited to the same two shows from nearly everyone in the thread.

I'm a big fan of the camera when it comes to television and film, but something else I've come to love is colors. The one thing I think a handful of Batman episodes did to success was capture the grainy and dark feel of older Disney films and the Superman serials. I miss cel and film-based animation for that very reason, really. It baffles me that largely the same production crew has carried over across the years on these DC animated series and yet never do we see the same ambition in coloring that you saw on, say, Robin's Reckoning Part I or even an attempt to challenge it.

Speaking of coloring, I've recently completed viewing Eromanga-Sensei. The colors are warm and have an almost pastel feel to them. I especially love the pinks and teals used for Sagiri's clothes, although the purple for Muramasa's hair is also a really soothing color. Combine it with the perfect drawings and character animation and you can't help but want to hug those girls!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Fair enough, though isn't it more productive to bring the shows that you think are being ignored into the discussion than to complain about others failing to do so? I can think of a good number of anime series that are arguably as good or even better than B:TAS ranging from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex to Cowboy Bebop to Assassination Classroom. My list of such American animated series would be much shorter.

B:TAS used an unusual and interesting technique of placing cells over a black background that contributed much to the visual feel of the show. I'll admit that coloring in a show isn't something that I am usually actively conscious of to the point of commenting on it.

14. lucas

lucas Member

Serious that has much more animes better than batman than better cartoons than he in my view every year launches a great American animated series

And for always gargulas and avatar is not lack of good animation but rather a certificate of quality that both made but if you go to look every year in the American animation comes a good series of action

Mod Note: Double Post merged. Please use the Edit button instead of posting twice or more in a row.

#94 lucas, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2017
  15. A Brisk Autumn Day

I think that it's one of those things where it's not really noticeable, but it adds so much at the same time. Like producing a song. All these little amazing reverbs and recording techniques that no listener would really care about, but it's what makes the production so great.

16. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I'm not sure I understand what this means. Are you saying these two are derivative in some way, or just basically that they're liked too much and / or named as among the best too often? If only the latter, OK, but in that case I could say the same to (unfairly) blow off Evangelion.

17. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The Simpsons

For obvious reasons.

Justice League / Unlimited

Bruce Timm outdid the original canon storywise and animationwise here. Plus Dwayne McDuffie was a better writer than Paul Dini.

Futurama

Better animation and writing.

Justice League Action

More fun.

Superman: The Animated Series

Better writing.

Wolverine And The X-Men

Actual story arcs.

Transformers Prime

Best action toon ever besides JLU.

Samurai Jack

The animation puts BTAS to shame.

#97 Fone Bone, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Edit your post and say why for each one, please.. We don't allow list posts here.

19. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Since when? Young whippersnappers and all their consarned rules! In my day we'd write Toon Zone lists and take 'em to the supermarket! And buy bread and catfood! Cause catfood sandwiches were all we could afford. And we'd have to walk 30 miles uphill to the supermarket. Both ways.

20. lucas

lucas Member

Sorry for the question but why do you think super man better written than batman?