1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

What animated works do you find better than Batman: The Animated Series?

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Milestone3Z, Apr 20, 2011.

1. KPTitan

KPTitan The Doc is in...

I have a quick question... was it this Batman series that crossed over with Static Shock a couple times (in the episodes "The Big Leauges" and "Nails"), or was it The New Batman Adventures? I keep getting those two shows confused.:sweat:

2. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

It was The New Batman Adventures.

3. adoptedBatpuppy

adoptedBatpuppy Confidence is the Key

I always thought that Batman Adventures was the same show as The New Adventures of Batman since they both shared the same creative team!

4. Doc Yoshi

Doc Yoshi Member

For it's time Batman: TAS was ground breaking and pushed the envelope for television animation.

To say no show could come along and best it is stupid.

The video game world is the same. One game pushes the fold but others will improve on it and better it. Super Mario 64 isn’t that great now is it? But back to the matter at hand.

Batman TAS, had some sloppy animation in some places (Christmas with the Joker comes to mind, Joker just doesn’t look right while laughing at Batman who just got a pie in the face). But I loved the look all the same (Bruce should wear his brown suit and yellow shirt in the comics.). Young Justice? I can easily point out story flaws and moments I didn’t like but the animation is consistent. The designs themselves work too (the characters also look realistic). New Batman Adventures at the same time is too streamlined when compared to the “from scratch” designs of Superman: TAS.

And for a mature show. Avenger Penguins. Which is as childish as you'd believe, got away with the villain saying "I'll see you in hell!" and the show dated B:TAS by a few years I think. It’s also been said in this topic I think that unlike Avatar, the writers of B:TAS had 60+ years of comic book lore to work with. Which had to build the whole world from the ground up and make its own lore.

5. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Yeah, it was quite something in the 90s for animation. Though even today, it remains groundbreaking. The calibre of the voice acting, the style of the designs and look of the show... the sheer effort and care that went into making the world of B:TAS look and feel unique, whether it was through the designs or the background music, was incredible.

I'm open to the idea of a show toppling B:TAS. Always have been. Though I believe that there hasn't been a cartoon since that's managed to do that. Obviously the stakes have been raised where action, animation and long-running storylines are concerned, as we can see in shows like Justice League (Unlimited), The Spectacular Spider-Man, X-Men Evolution, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and many more... but no cartoon can tell a good self-contained tale like B:TAS. Who needs jaw dropping action and serialised story telling when you have wonderful character pieces like "Mad as a Hatter" and "Heart of Ice", that make you really feel for the characters involved? I think subsequent superhero shows haven't given as much attention to telling stories that really resonate emotionally with the viewer. But as I said, I keep an open mind and I await the arrival of another show that has both style and substance in the same amount as B:TAS. JL/U and Teen Titans are, to date, the only superhero shows to come close IMO.

Gripping stories are more important than stellar animation, though obviously the character models have to be good, whether the animation is or isn't impressive. B:TAS had the stories and character designs nailed to a tee. (Yes, I know, some stories sucked and others failed to live up to their potential, but not the majority of episodes.)

Actually, I thought Joker looked fine in that particular bit. Though Akom (the studio who animated that episode) generally did horrible work on B:TAS.

6. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

*cough* Avatar *cough*

7. Doc Yoshi

Doc Yoshi Member

Something about his arms just put me off a bit. Don't get me wrong I agree with ya about everything else.

8. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

To be honest, I never cared for B:TAS. I have liked every other DCAU show (sans Zeta Project, if that counts), but I could never get into B:TAS. Honestly, I enjoyed JLU, Teen Titans, Young Justice, X-Men: TAS, Batman Beyond, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Naruto,etc more than Batman. Is Batman a better show? Sure, maybe. But I enjoy it less.

9. adoptedBatpuppy

adoptedBatpuppy Confidence is the Key

You make many valid points. The fact of the matter is that no show is perfect not even Avenger Penguins, Young Justice...because it's impossible to do with so many people involved.

10. Master Toon

Master Toon Active Member

The simplest answer for me would be that I find LOTS and LOTS of other animated shows better than Batman:TAS. Looking back on it now it's not really as great as people make it seem. It was great for it's time but today there have been better shows that have come out after it.

11. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Such as?

12. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

Personally I think we as DC/Batman/superhero fans tend to overstate the greatness of BTAS, equating it with its importance and legacy instead. I think its wonderful it has such an impact, and I think it is a genuinely great show, but there is often a discontinuity with how some people see the show and how some episodes truly are. BTAS had some horrible stuff in it, and I'm not just talking Batman in my Basement, and I've seen some people truly trying to claim that every episode of BTAS was "5-stars" (not here though) like they never saw the abomination of Cat Scratch Fever. There are some characters that don't benefit from their BTAS portrayal, Bane and Catwoman especially recieve a short stick, and while Scarecrow is quite in-character he never really recieves a story that's worth his status until TNBA.

There's also an issue in evaluating other shows in comparison with BTAS. A show such as Spectacular Spiderman is most often compared, but fans often argue that episodic "mini-movie" structures are equal to arc-based storytelling. Personally I think there is some truth in that, a format that works best for a show...works best for a show, but I believe a cartoon which can successfully pull off an arc structure while retaining episodic qualities has a definite advantage in that area, which both Avatar and SSM pull off very well. There are also several times where BTAS would've worked better with some small arcs, such as the clumsy mishandling of Two-Face post scarring until a fantastic return in Second Chance (my favourite episode), or whatever the writers were trying to do with Catwoman.

Not to mention the writers had so much mythology to draw from. I don't believe this gives an edge in quality necessarily, but I will certainly respect a show more if it successfully world-builds from nothing, or puts a radical spin on classic tales, such as Avatar and Gargoyles.

Now BTAS still had tremendous character pieces, but their isolation worked for and against them. I can only imagine how much more the show would've been lifted if even just Two-Face and Catwoman had their own arcs rather than disjointed appearances.

I think in these respects, Gargoyles, but far more Avatar: The Last Airbender, are better shows, with the latter easily so. Avatar managed a magnificent world built from scratch, an ingenious arc that - especially with the Ba Sing Se act - showed a gifted attention to detail and surprise, with fantastic art design, while still managing to keep episodic character stories and studies. And when the worst episode is "The Great Divide" which is just poor, not the sickenly embarrassing Batman vs Penguin with a screwdriver, there's good quality control too.

13. Wolf Boy2

Wolf Boy2 Active Member

I'm gonna have to say that S:TAS was superior to B:TAS, even though I like anything about Batman more than everything about Superman. But S:TAS was a better series in every possible way. Better animation, direction, stories, character development and continuity. For my money, S:TAS was the cream of the DCAU.

While I'm a die-hard Transformers fan, I can't say G1 is better than B:TAS. But Beast Wars is just as good, if not better. BTAS was grounded in human realities, and could be emotionally engaging simply by copying real life. For example, "Robin's Reckoning." An audience immediately connects to an orphaned child because life has already conditioned us to feel remorse for him. But the death of a ROBOT is another matter entirely. We aren't preconditioned to feel diddly-squat for a mechanical raptor, unless the story and writing bridge that gap for us. "Beast Wars" did exactly that, which is why "Code of Hero" is one of my favorite episodes of any TV show ever.

14. lucas

lucas Member

In my view some animated series like shadow raiders and exosquard are well over but better and better than batman tas ja that had much more death and more adult themes than the own batman

15. A Brisk Autumn Day

As someone else said, Avatar the Last Airbender. I watched it for the first time (and all the way through) about half a year ago now. It was great. But although I find Avatar to technically be a better show, the DCAU is my favorite "show" of all time. I think Batman is definitely up there subjectively, though. Not a lot of cartoons give it a run for its money.

16. lucas

lucas Member

I think justice league a more sophisticated show than the avatar anng he had issues like excessive force which is a more adult theme than loyalty that is the avatar theme anng

17. A Brisk Autumn Day

I personally think that Avatar had a lot more to it than that. Interestingly I've heard a theory (from Rob Walker of Channel Awesome) that the main star of the show is actually Iroh. But I'll refrain from getting too into that show on a DC forum. x3
    The whole Cadmus thing was incredibly smart and interesting, though.

18. lucas

lucas Member

In fact, I think Gargoyles, Avatar, Spiderman 2008, Superman tas, Batman tas, league justice, samurai jack, turtles ninjas 2003, juvenile justice are pretty close in qualities and all with great plots but I still think batman is a Show better than the others

#78 lucas, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  19. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Anything generally from the DCAU was pretty neat I honestly have a hard time picking favorites, In general Justice League in general was just as good and so were the other DCAU shows.

20. Luke Cage

Luke Cage Member

1. The CADMUS arc of Justice League is the best animated TV I've ever seen. Story, Dialog, Action, Direction, etc.

2. Young Justice Season One was so meticulously planned and executed it's a close second for me. Plus I love the character designs and the look of the fight sequences. (Next level to me)

3. Spectacular Spider Man. The most perfect Spider Man depiction ever. Way ahead of it's time. (Probably should be higher on my list but this is a DC board)

Honorable Mention:
    Last season of Green Lantern
    Samurai Jack (Pick your favorite episode)
    Dragonball Z/Naruto (Minus the endless filler episodes)