1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

What animated works do you find better than Batman: The Animated Series?

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Milestone3Z, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Milestone3Z

Milestone3Z New Member

In terms of writing/scripting and direction, what are at least three works of animation, either Western or Eastern in origin, that you feel are better than Batman: TAS?

2. theRedDeath

theRedDeath Active Member

I'm going to leave "anime" out of this because that's a whole other debate.

To be perfectly honest I like many of the other DCAU entries more than B:TAS. Including S:TAS, and JL/U.

I'd also rate the stellar "Spectacular Spider-man" over it as well. So that's three.

B:TAS may have been a fantastic and defining version of Batman, but the show was episodic, and had the occasional goofy episodes. It gets a lot of credit for it's great portrayal of Batman on the shoes of the Burton/Schumacher films, and for being the foundation of the DCAU, but objectively by itself it isn't THAT great. Even as a kid it was never my favorite. It's just the best Batman show (which is no small feat.)

---

3. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

well....

I can sit here and list TONS of shows. But I'd need clarification.
    You said Eastern and Western...
    So, I'm guessing ANY show is allowed, from any country, therefore any style?
    Does it have to be contemporary, in the era of the DCAU (so BTAS and onward), or can it be older?

4. Bat-Man

Bat-Man The Dark Knight

It's hard to say because it is my number 1 series, but Transformers: Generation 1 and Scooby-Doo, Where Are You come close.

5. Milestone3Z

Milestone3Z New Member

In that case, what works would you rank in your top three of all time?

Any country, any time period. It can be a movie, short movie, television series, anime, etc. Anything.

6. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

The Last Airbender and episode for episode, Young Justice.

7. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Kind of a silly thread if you ask me.

I can think of at least one animated work I prefer to Batman: TAS, however- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

8. circa02

circa02 Member

if were talking about non comedic cartoons, Gargoyles is a good contender. The secret of Nimph and the first all dogs go to heaven are good to. Oh, the Prince of Egypt, I think That might beat BTAS, which is my favorite of the DCAU.

9. deymasc

deymasc Member

I'm in agreement with Red Death. As much as I enjoyed BTAS in its day, I enjoyed STAS even more. I hated that the show never got teh recognition that BTAS did. Just as it was getting good...they canceled it. However, the animation styles of JL/JLU, Young Justice, Spectacular Spider-Man & X-Men Evolution and Wolverine & The X-Men I love(d) even more.

With BTAS it's like going back and watching your favorite shows as a kid, and seeing how bad they are now. Like G1Transformers, M.A.S.K., GI Joe, Voltron, He-Man, etc. You start to notice things you didn't see before. LOL

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

1) The Real Ghostbusters (when JMS was show runner)

2) The Tick

• Even though it was a parody, it was a dang good one that it took on a life of its own. The Proto Clown and Sewer Urchin spotlight episode stand out as some of my favorites.
    3) Transformers: Beast Wars

• Loved all the old school references. Ravage!

11. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

Shows...

Beast Wars: Transformers
    ReBoot
    ThunderCats
    Voltron
    Tekkaman Blade
    Superman: The Animated Series
    Dragon Ball
    Sailor Moon
    Cowboy Bebop
    Tenchi Muyo!
    Tenchi Universe
    Outlaw Star
    Trigun
    Mobile Suit Gundam
    The Super Dimension Fortress Macross
    The Real Ghostbusters
    Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
    Gargoyles
    Phantom: 2040
    The Tick
    New Mobile Report: Gundam Wing
    Wing Commander Academy
    Daria
    King of the Hill
    The Simpsons

I could start including movies, like the OP said, but I'd be here all day.

Also, I had to try very hard to keep the distinction between shows I really liked and shows that I think are honestly better, in my head, otherwise this would be a much longer list.

Adding to the list: Things I forgot

The Spectacular Spider-Man
    The Batman
    Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

#11 Aaron, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2011
  12. circa02

circa02 Member

Beast Wars and Daria, I forget about those! Duh!

13. AlgeaX

AlgeaX Oh, hello?

In terms of quality, the only western animated animated the only tv series that I felt ever really outshon Batman:TAS was Gargoyles. I would also put Spectacular Spider-Man and Avatar: The Last Airbender roughly on par with B:TAS.

Young Justice also has the potential to rival the DCAU, but at a mere nine eps into it's run it may be to early to make that call.

14. batsy2

batsy2 Active Member

This is just my opion, but if you want to know my list here goes:

Star Wars The Clone Wars
    Transformers Prime
    Animaniacs
    Batman The Brave and The Bold
    Beast Wars Transformers
    Transformers Animated
    Spectacular Spider-Man
    Superman The Animated Series
    Batman Beyond
    Justice League/Unlimited
    The Batman
    Avengers Earth's Mightest Heroes
    Young Justice

I could go on all day, but that's just to name a few.

15. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

In sticking just with DC animation, I really liked both Batman Beyond and Justice League/Justice League Unlimited more than Batman:The Animated Series. I prefer the Batman Beyond animation style to the Batman:TAS animation style. And I liked that watching Batman play off the other Justice League characters in the JL/JLU show.

16. ktk

ktk Member

Transformers Animated
    Star Wars The Clone Wars

Admittedly, it helps that I've been a fan of Star Wars and Transformers for decades, and of course Avatar is just plain excellent.

17. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ Active Member

The only series I can truly say this about is The Spectacular Spiderman, by virtue of the fact that it had no subpar episodes, while B:TAS had several stinkers early on before it hit its stride. I actually think TSSM is the greatest superhero cartoon of all time, and I don't expect it to be toppled any time soon.

Woah man, are you serious? Look, I'm a fan of these shows too, but I am not going to even try to argue that they surpass B:TAS in quality. For all that I liked about it, The Batman was probably one of the most inconsistent comic-book shows ever, and while Avengers: EMH is incredibly entertaining and features well-thought out character relationships, the writing and villians for the most part pale in comparison to Batman: The Animated Series.

18. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

I actually prefer Superman the Animated Series over Batman: The Animated Series and not just cause I am a Superman fan first and foremost. It was a more consistent show and had a much bigger scaled however had Timm & co not worked on Batman the Animated Series I doubt they'd have done such a good job on Superman.

19. Azeke

Azeke Member

Superman TAS:
    - had more linear plot and character arcs which i prefer to episodic format
    - much more consistent in quality
    - surprisingly less bound by censorship
    - i just like Supes more :p

Spectacular Spider-Man
    - again linear plot, and multiple story arcs and character development
    - super consistency -- not a single bad episode in its 26 run
    - Spidey cracking jokes and kicking butt is just a little bit more fun for me than brooding Batman

- linear plot, arcs, character arcs, you know the drill
    - better consistency (though third season had an entire streak of its own pointless episodes, there were still less of them than in BTAS)
    - original never before seen universe

And i'm leaving things like better animation and fights out of this cause that way it would be simply unfair for 20+ years old show.

20. Christopher Glennon

Christopher Glennon Punch Drunk Flounder
    Staff Member Reporter

I strongly disagree with this statement. I feel that the reason BTAS is so highly talked about is because it's immune from that effect. Even Batman Beyond and The Batman seemed to have aged MORE than BTAS, at least to me.

Batman: The Animated Series was a game changer, plain and simple. Super Friends had ended, what? Only 8 years prior? Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends was even more recent. BTAS look everything that was cliched, Saturday morning, and kid friendly from those shows and left them on the cutting room floor. The characters were fully realized, the art direction had an actual mood and feel to it, and it raised the bar for all the superhero shows that followed.

Superman: The Animated Series, Spectacular Spider-Man, and others were able to do some things better than BTAS, but it's the whole "standing on the shoulders of giants" principle. Like how the Lee/Kirby run on Fantastic Four is still hard to top these days in terms of comic book runs.

Going by that logic, I'd say the Fleischer Superman may be better than BTAS, just because it still stuns me they were able to do something that looked that good in the 1940's.

I'll also throw in Futurama for a lot of the visuals and action scenes that surpassed BTAS and other action cartoons, and those weren't even as important to the show as the humor. I decided to leave the Simpsons off because comparing that to BTAS is apples and oranges.

As a third, I'm going to have to say Gargoyles, in some respects. Milestone3Z did mention writing/scripting, and the on-going plotlines, set-up and payoff, and genuine shock moments and surprises produced by the serial nature of Gargoyles was something Batman: The Animated Series could never achieve with its episodic nature.