1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

What a Cartoon Show

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by 90scartoonkid, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Ace Goodheart

Ace Goodheart Strong, Digilent, Fearless

I checked my recording from Saturday again, and yes "Yuckie Duck" didn't have any opening music at all. Looks like these shorts were hastily edited back during the "Cartoon Cartoons" era. It's disgusting.

Also, I noticed there's now a Cartoon Network title card at the end of each short (after the Hanna-Barbera logo) which I never recall seeing at all, aside from watching some of the shorts on youtube (where they looked to be recordings from foreign versions of Cartoon Network). Could it be that like "Garfield" these are international prints of the WAC! shorts???

2. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

"Tumbleweed Tex" by Robert Alvarez.

BTW, can anyone help me compile a list of the creators of these shorts? Here are the ones I remember offhand:

Dexter's Lab - Genndy Tartakovsky
    Yuckie Duck - Pat Ventura
    Powerpuff Girls - Craig McCracken
    Dino in "Stay Out" - Joe Barbera
    Johnny Bravo - Van Partible
    Sledgehammer O'Possum - Pat Ventura
    George & Junior - Pat Ventura (Based on Characters by Tex Avery)
    Hard Luck Duck - William Hanna
    Shake & Flik - Eugene Mattos
    O. Ratz - Jerry Eisenberg & Russ Harris
    Phish & Chip - Butch Hartman, Michael Lann & Eugene Mattos
    Fat Cats - Jon McClenahan
    Mina & The Count - Rob Renzetti
    Cow & Chicken - David Feiss
    Boid N' Woim - C. Miles Thompson
    Help! - Bruno Bozzetto
    Pizza Boy "No Tip" - Robert Alvarez
    Tumbleweed Tex - Robert Alvarez
    Buy One, Get One Free - Charlie Bean, Don Shank, Carey Yost
    Tales of the Paranoia Worm - Eddie Fitzgerald
    Wind-Up Wolf - William Hanna
    Larry & Steve - Seth McFarlane
    Malcolm & Melvin - Ralph Bakshi
    Foe Paws - Chris Savino
    Lucky Lydia - Bob Camp, Arthur Filloy

I know I'm missing plenty, but those are really all the ones that come to mind at this point. Any chance we can complete the list?

3. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Here are some you missed:

-Godfrey & Zeke: Zac Moncrief (the guy who later went on to direct at Family Guy)
    -The Kitchen Cassanova: John McIntyre
    -Ignoramooses: Mike Milo

4. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Wow you guys forgot "Courage the Cowardly Dog" - John Dilworth

And for the record, there were two Dexter cartoons, two Johnny Bravo cartoons, two Powerpuff girls Cartoons, two Dino cartoons and two Phish and Chip cartoons.

5. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

There were also two Sledgehammer O'Possum, George & Junior and Yuckie Duck shorts, all directed by Ventura.

It should also be noted that the first Phish & Chip short ("Short Phuse") was directed by Butch Hartman, while the second ("Blammo the Clown") was by Eugene Mattos, and if you watch both shorts consecutively, you can tell the pacing and character design varies. Btw, the three people listed above are credited as "Written and Created by" on both shorts.

Mike Milo also did another one involving a trio of dogs spending the night portraying pirates, I believe it was called "Bloo's Gang" or something like that.

Other shorts I remember are "Captain Buzz Shipley" and "Zoonatics", but I don't recall who created those.

6. RedNinja84

RedNinja84 Hotness 2.0

The Adventures of Buzz Cheeply in: A Clean Getaway- Meinart Hanson
    Yoink! of the Yukon- Don Jurwich and Jerry Eisenberg
    Snoot's New Squat- Victor Ortado and Jeret Ochi

7. Timber Wolf

Timber Wolf Guest

If the CN logo read "Cartoon Network, Home of the Top Toon Stars" or "Cartoon Network Studios, a division of Hanna-Barbera Cartoons, Inc., a Turner company", it has been there for many years. The Nordic Cartoon Network shows the cartoons as fillers. They have What a Cartoon! titles and these CN logos. The "Cartoon Network Studios" logo that mentions Turner can also be seen on the first season of Dexter's Laboratory.

To Jave, Foe Paws and Lucky Lydia were later shorts, not a part of the original WAC! The creators of O. Ratz and Dave D. Fly: Rat in a Hot Tin Can were Jerry Reynolds (not Eisenberg) and Russ Harris.

The Zoonatiks in Home Sweet Home was created by R.J. Reiley, James Giordano and Paul Parducci and directed by Joey Ahlbum.
    Harry McLaughlin co-created Ignoramooses and Bloo's Gang.
    The third creator of Yoink of the Yukon was Jim Ryan.
    Butch Hartman and Michael Ryan created Hillbilly Blue.
    Jason Butler Rote co-created Godfrey and Zeek.

8. Ace Goodheart

Yeah, it is the "Home of the Toon Stars" logo.

9. TheFZAtUGSOnline

TheFZAtUGSOnline Galactic Guardian since 2010

BOOM should retitle WAC to "The Cartoon Cartoon Show" again... or just get the original film cans from WAC and play them on BOOM...
    @ Jave: You Forgot: The Grim Adventures Of Billy & Mandy/Evil Con Carne - Maxwell Atoms
    These 2 Were On WAC (Grim Being First During The WAC days, Evil Came On As Soon As WAC got Re-Branded... Again...) Once.

(If anyone has the original opening for WAC, please post it on YouTube and post it here, that might clear up some confusion!)

The Cartoon Cartoon Show - Boomerang Edition Week 2 Plays This Sunday, Same Time, Same Station.

10. Jon Cooke

Jon Cooke GAC!

The horrible "Pizza Boy" cartoon that ran on Boomerang last night had the full "What a Cartoon" opening and closing titles in case anyone was curious.

11. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Simple fact: time marches on. Eventually everything becomes vintage. Besides, there's no reason Boomerang can't or shouldn't progress with the times. They can't just show 50's, 60's and 70's stuff exclusively. Even for a retro rerun channel, they can only air the same set of shows (especially canceled ones) over and over again for a certain amount of times before people start tuning out. Plus, since Cartoon Cartoon Show, Dexter's Lab, Duck Dodgers, etc. are all finished, no new episodes of these are being made, and as such, CN has no interest in airing them for the simple fact that CN is currently being run by accountants and admen with dollar signs in their eyes, who are only interested in a show that they can make a profit off of. Unless Time-Warner were to create a third channel just to air the shows from 1990 and beyond (which we all know isn't going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future), these shows literally have nowhere else to go but in the vaults or on DVD. We have to get our 'old school CN' fix somewhere.

12. Road Runner

Road Runner Bona-Fide CN Hater

This week has the Powerhouse version of the What A Cartoon! intro. I love it, although it's 15 years too young to be on Boomerang.

13. Ace Goodheart

Yes, I too noticed "Pizza Boy in: No Tip" had it's original WAC intro and credits sequence, which was a treat to see on TV again. The others however............didn't. I'd led to believe that either CN didn't re-brand all of the WAC shorts in the late '90's or that mixed print sources exist for all of them.

What was the lineup for Sunday's episode??? Man, I keep missing at least one episode every week.

14. Road Runner

Road Runner Bona-Fide CN Hater

Pizza Boy: No Tip
    Kitchen Casanova
    Pfish and Chip: Blammo the Clown

15. Jon Cooke

Jon Cooke GAC!

Sunday's show had - Powerpuff Girls: Meat Fuzzy Lumpkins, Hard Luck Duck, and Yoink of the Yukon.

Never saw Hard Luck before... did Bill Hanna forget they already created Yakky Doodle?

16. TheFZAtUGSOnline

TheFZAtUGSOnline Galactic Guardian since 2010

Pfish & Chip was teh funny, 2 eppys were made for WPT/WAC/CCS (World Premiere Toons/What A Cartoon/Cartoon Cartoon Show), and never made it onto CN... the PPG short was okay to say the least.
    BTW: Never seen Pizza Boy

17. spaced_7

spaced_7 Guest

I have never hated it

I have never hated it but i dont like it going on boomerang , i say stick to sylvester!:sylvester

18. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

What comes on this upcoming Sunday? I'll be at home this weekend and my parents get Boomerang, so I'd like to know if the episode will be worth watching.

19. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Another short not listed above yet I just remembered is "Awfully Lucky" by Davis Doi. This short is actually quite different in the sense that it feels more like a one-shot rather than a series pilot.

20. Dorks UNITE!!23

I know all of the 1995 and most 1996 (including the ones made by the great William Hanna and Joesph Barbera) shorts has the HB allstars comedy logo (espacially the first shorts), and I know Larry and Steve and The Kitchen Casanova, Buy One, Get One Free, Tales of Worm Paranoia, and Zoonatics :Home, Sweet Home, and Godfrey and Zeek has the CN Studios logos, but I don't know what other cartoons has the CN Studios logo (Although Malcom and Melvin I & II(which was released in November of 1997) has the HB logo).

Can anybody tell me which shorts has the CN Studios logo and the ones that don't?