Were you happy with how JLU (the DCAU) ended?

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by Dusty, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

I'm just curious if people were happy with how it ended, (without saying "no" just cause you want more) I mean with what the episodes had in them or how they ended... were you happy, like would you change a thing, if so, what? This isn't a pure "wish list" thread... more of a "what if" or "I would have preferred this or that" thread.
    Personally I very much disliked it, I thought the animation, dialog, and overall story was lame. I think "Divided We Fall" would have been a better place to end. Then again, I also rather would have had different villains besides Darkseid, Luthor, or Brainiac.
    What do you all think?

D.

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

I was satisfied. It was a great episode. All the heroes, and many villains, got to appear. Some great dialogue, solid animation, favorites like Luthor, Manhunter, and especially Superman got to show why they're hardcore, etc. Would I have liked more? Of course! But the DCAU was a great 10+ years, and the ending was fine.

3. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

Yeah, I was happy for the most part with how JLU/the DCAU ended. It would've been kinda nice if Wonder Woman could've gotten her own series. But other than that I have no complaints.

4. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

It was good enough for me.

In general, I find endings to be hard to do well. I think fans have this burning desire to see their favorite stories end on such a high note. Now, when you consider that if you're a fan, chances are you already really liked the story, then trying to match or exceed that level of quality in an ending can be tough to accomplish. There are no glaring deficiencies in the DCAU's ending. You could always argue that they could've done this or that, but that will happen regardless of how you end a story.

5. reflection

reflection Active Member

We were lucky to get the final season we did get and it was an awesome bit of fan service that was a love letter to the DCAU and the era of DC animation before it. I was very happy with it. Just wish it had aired on a consistent schedule and didn't air overseas before airing here.

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

The "head start" ending was a bit campy, but the flip side of that is you get the totally awesome RAAAWWRR GO FORTH HEROES ending clip that was pretty much the perfect sendoff (also, c'mon: those villains never had a chance).

On a meta scale, things were wrapped up and resolved well. Good lord, even Batman Beyond got closure. There's a truckload of DCAU comics that get into more adventures, if someone just HAS to have more. I should read more of those.

This reminds me, did people ever figure out what the "near apocalypse of 09" was?

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

I was happy with the selection of the unending ending (aka the adventure continues) and most series got closure. Would have nice to have The Zeta Project resolved. Would have been nice to have one more season of JLU (i.e. between the second and third season, a flash forward season of just JLU Beyond could have been cool).

Nope. I wouldn't be surprised if the crew never developed the explanation of what it was -it was just another line to convey the scope of Ra's and Batman's 'last battle' in the glory days. I would have to rewatch the episode but I think the only real clue was they mentioned 'Talia' used Ra's fortune to start that philanthropic organization to clean up the parts of the world devastated by the Near Apocalypse. Or was it just Cuba? Eh.

8. Deshaded

Deshaded Member

I recall reading that had there been another season of JLU, there would be more focused episodes of the Trinity. I would have really, really liked that. There wasn't ever much besides "Dead Reckoning" that showed the Big Three to be close.

9. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

''The Adventure Continues''... What more could you want?

That third season was a godsend anyway and we were very lucky to have it. The final episode was well-written, action packed, full of beautiful animation and poignant without being sappy.

Of course I would have loved it if they did more, but nothing lasts forever and the DCAU certainly had an amazing run. Nothing in DC animation has been as interesting or exciting since.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
  10. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

I'd laugh if they totally retconned it to something really silly like the "Neer Apokolips Ovonyne" and just claim that fans misheard or misinterpreted what Terry said.

11. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

The series ended fine. I just wish the DCAU Batman got to continue in some form.

Sure Kevin Conroy has reprised Batman a bunch of times, but it was never the DCAU Batman again outside those 2 minute 75th anniversary shorts.

12. ganon51

ganon51 New Member

It was a great series overall and had a great ending to it. I just wish it could've lasted longer. They still left some doors open like with Shayera and GL's epilogue. :(

Joker (Wild Cards episode) - "As they say, all good things must come to and end"

You know what else would've been good to continue the DCAU? A Justice League Beyond animated series, like "The Call" episode.

MOD NOTE: Please Use the Edit Post button and add to your first post instead of posting twice or more in a row.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2014