1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Welcome to the Wayne" Discussion

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Jinbo71, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

I was afraid they'd just premiere the show without any major fanfare. I hope this means they're not trying to burn off the episodes.

Anyway, I am so glad it's finally premiering. The shorts mini-series was great and I have been looking forward to the series since last year. The trailer was wonderful although I can't help but notice that the animation looks a little more stiff than the mini-series.

2. moose_tracks12

moose_tracks12 Active Member

Was excited for this show since the shorts came out. So psyched we finally have another Nicktoon on Nick's main channel. And if it's going for exclusively weekday premieres like The Loud House, then I think this will truly be a ratings success for the main network (or so I'm hoping for it to be).

3. rockorockorocko

rockorockorocko Well-Known Member

Didn't watch the shorts, but I just watched the trailer... WOW the premise is quite unique for a Nickelodeon show. It's essentially a sci-fi/adventure/fantasy cartoon. I wish the art was a bit more vibrant, it looks a little pale, scratchy and bland. But it's modern in terms of what's in (think Sanjay and Craig, Bob's Burgers, Clarence, Rick and Morty, etc.). However, this show kind of reminds me of Gravity Falls? And if it can capture even a quarter of GF's magic Nick could have another break out niche. It's unique and different.

I will say this, like any Nick show... it'll come down to how well Nick promotes it and if they are willing to set it up for success or if they'll premiere it without hype and then drop it if it doesn't start strong. I believe the last cartoon that had a July premiere was Sanjay and Craig and it had a better than average run on Nick. The network has thankfully grown AatC and the TLH... but Bunsen is basically dead on arrival. Hopefully not the same for WttW

I don't watch Nick at all, but I do want to see the network succeed and WttW would be a nice addition... the characters are every day kids, but the possibilities are endless for this show. I think that's gonna be a draw for kids overall, and if its witty enough, it'll get some adults enjoying it as well. Also, a second Nick show with an Indian lead (the other being Sanjay). Nice!

Lastly, I'm assuming that 5:30pm slot means probably two weeks of premieres following SBSP/TLH premieres. This, along with proper promotion and advertising should give this show a shot.

#23 rockorockorocko, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  4. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

Maybe this show will be the "SpongeBob and FOP killer" but I doubt it

5. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

FOP has been moved to Nicktoons and might not get renewed again. Even if it somehow does, I don't see how its presence is an issue anymore. And even if Welcome to the Wayne doesn't do well, Nick still has The Loud House.

Anyway, Nick has already started to promote this. I saw a promo during The Loud House. It's basically the trailer on Nick's YouTube cut down.

6. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

I'm surprised they're releasing this so soon. We've got so little promotion on this show I didn't think it was going to come until next year (if EVER).

7. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

I like how the show has a bit of a mystery element with the kids discovering more about the weirdness of the apartment. This could have easily just been a wacky comedy and nothing more, and while I'm sure it'll have a lot of wackiness, I appreciate the creators adding a bit more depth to the world. But I'm not really a fan of the artstyle. The characters look like doodles made by a middle schooler.

I don't think it looks anything fantastic, but it seems enjoyable enough.

8. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Nick better promote out of this... This really does feel like Nick's answer to Gravity Falls - however, as usual, my issue isn't the artstyle (I'm OK with it), it's the writing and humor they employ alongside the story they're aiming to tell here. Hopefully, whomever's writing this is on Harvey Beaks / The Loud House's level of how to do humor and also knows how to tell an ongoing story, as well. Or else.

9. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

Looks like it has some potential. I'm not expecting it to be as great as Gravity Falls, but it looks like a harmless version of it. I'll check it out when it premieres.

10. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

I look forward to it, it is very good that the show is going to air this year after all I was always thinking it would have been pushed off another year, but glad this is the year and hopefully it does as good as The Loud House.

11. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

I em kinda worried due to how much this show was pushed back during it's production
    it kinda seems as if Nick did not want to air it

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster Well-Known Member

I was kind of surprised about the announcement as well, Nick has hardly mentioned the series since announcing it had been picked up for a full series.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

I saw the first episode on the app. Think maybe we can discuss about it or should we wait until the show officially premieres?

15. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

I hope anyone who didn't see the initial web shorts aren't confused by this episode. It seems to take place a few weeks after that pilot.

16. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

I know, from the episode summary I thought this was going to be in a new continuity. Thank God I was wrong.

Anyway, they'll probably re-release the shorts online just in time for the show.

17. rockorockorocko

I did not watch the WttW shorts, and initially I was meh about the cartoon. And overall, I haven't been keeping up with any Nick show aside from ratings, scheduling, and news, but I read some positive reviews on WttW and was intrigued by the trailer so I decided to watch the first episode.

And holy smokes, I was blown away. Nick has another masterpiece on his hand.

- I was shocked that this is a 22-minute cartoon that will be serialized.
    - I loved the adventure, fantasy, mystery and sci-fi angle. This is a NICKTOON for crying out loud. Wow.
    - The artwork is not my cup of tea, BUT I loved the imagination of the show. I don't mind the awkward character designs similar to modern cartoons, but the art seems a bit pale and empty. Wish the colors were a bit more vibrant and full.
    - The humor and dialogue was witty and intelligent. Kids will be able to understand, but adults will be able to appreciate the depth.
    - Characters are likable, distinct personalities but not overdone. Little details and nuances to the characters are already visible tho. Some fairly charming and heart-felt moments
    - No, gross out humor needed for this show.

Perhaps Nick listened to the backlash they got for the gross out humor and immature storylines of shows like Breadwinners and present-day Fairly Odd Parents (I LOVED Sanjay and Craig, so I won't even tack them on...), but with Harvey Beaks, the Loud House and now Welcome to the Wayne, Nick is hitting it out of the ballpark IMO. Spongebob is clearly better, Alvin is serviceable, and TMNT will be revitalized. The only eye-sore to the lineup is Bunsen is a Beast.

I'm not sure how the response will be for this show, but I REALLY hope it takes off like The Loud House. For all intents and purposes, this show deserves to succeed. It's a gem and I highly recommend it.

Kudos to Nick for trying something new yet again and moving their animation in the right direction. Boy have they righted the ship. My only hope is Nick sets this show up to succeed with strong promotion and advertising, and that they will give the show some time to build its audience, while giving it some encore slots... it is serialized so I'm not sure how that works... TMNT has been off schedule for years.

18. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

Has anyone else noticed that between this & The Loud House Nick is producing shows with a kid protagonist telling a story from their perspective like they used to?

Could this mean a turnaround with Viacom/Nick?

19. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wait, each episode is 22 minutes long? How are they going to air new episodes? Will they do a bomb format like with the Loud House? If they do they'll have to do the Bombs every other month. Hope that won't hurt the show in anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. rockorockorocko

That's what I was wondering... I could be wrong but after watching the first episode it *seems* to be serialized and also gonna use the full 22-minutes. So that's where I'm a little concerned given how TMNT was treated...