Weird things your family/friends say about the cartoons you watch

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Dr.Pepper, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

I remember my mom being convinced that Mojo Jojo was the monkey from Dexter's Lab. I remember having to tell her that he wasn't on at least two separate occasions. Also she (and my dad to a lesser extent) called Kids Next Door "New Kids on the Block" repeatedly.

Speaking of Kids Next Door, I remember my dad thought that Numbuh 2's grandmother, Gramma Stuffum, and The Crazy Cat Lady were all the same character playing different roles.

My dad literally had no idea what kind of creature Patrick Star was. Once while watching Spongebob he goes "What the heck is Patrick?", and my mom, my brother, and I all at the same time said "A starfish".

Another amusing incident was when my parents were arguing about what Toy Story 2 was about. My mom was insisting it was about Andy moving and Woody and Buzz getting left behind at Pizza Planet. On the other hand, my dad was adamant that it was about them having to escape from Sid's house. When they asked me who was right, I had to tell them they were both wrong.

2. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

It seems everyone I know think Spongebob's parents are supposed to be cookies. Why? They're clearly sea sponges, and no one believes me. As for family stuff, one of my sisters used to call Ariel Ariella. Okay she was three, but still. And I often hear people calling Princess Aurora, including my two sisters, Sleeping Beauty. That's the title of the movie, not the name of the gosh-dang character.

3. Rhaynebow

Rhaynebow Active Member

'Why are his ears so small??'
    -My Mom referring to Peter Griffin

My older sis occasionally asks why I don't watch American cartoons whenever I'm watching anime.

My Dad walked into the room while I was watching an episode of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, to which he snickered and said
    'Cartoon'.

4. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

One night my family were watching the movie Tenchi Muyo in Love, and about 25 minutes in, my mom asked when Goku was going to show up.

Also, my mom likes Regular Show, but my brother and I have to constantly tell her that Skips is a yeti. Whenever she sees RS, she asks us what Skips is.

This is dating myself a bit, but my dad hated Jabberjaw when I was a kid. For some reason he couldn't stand the idea of a shark who walked on his hind fins and talked like Curly from the Three Stooges. Presently, he's absolutely turned off by The Lego Movie and refuses to go see it for whatever reason.

My mom really hates Scrappy-Doo. She thinks his head is too big.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
  5. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

My sister is convinced that Pegasus captured Yugi's grandpa's soul on a videotape, and you can record over grandpa's soul.

6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon! Moderator

My parents used to dislike Sailor Moon because "there was too much screaming".

7. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

My mom used to dislike Winx Club because of the girls' outfits. And she watches Will & Grace and previously Family Guy.

I can't exactly blame them for the "screaming" on Sailor Moon, especially in the DiC dub. Never stopped me from watching it though.

8. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

Recently my mom changed her views on Cow and Chicken. She thinks that Cow's design looks ugly.
    Earlier this year, she was OK with it.
    Also, she changed her views on Courage the Cowardly Dog.
    I showed her "King Ramses' Curse". As soon as she looked at that figure that said "Return the slob!", she said that it could give nightmares.
    At least I never had any nightmares with that show.

9. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Me every Thursday

A lot of times when my mom sees me (or realizes) I'm watching SpongeBob, she always says "That show will make you stupid." she also can't stand SpongeBob's voice either. But I have fun with this sometimes, sometimes I ask her "Guess what I'm watching?" and then she gets mad. Heck, one time I was watching Adventure Time and she thought I was watching SpongeBob because of Ice King. She said similar things about Fairly OddParents, but not as much.

There was also a time when I was watching Rocko's Modern Life and she thought I was watching Cow and Chicken.

10. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

I don't know if this counts, but when my roommate's grandchildren are over and they're watching SpongeBob, I'll ask "What's going on with SpongeBob?" or something like that.

11. Raguoc

Raguoc Gettin' Motivational

Remember Histeria? When that show was brand new, a friend of mine thought Lucky Bob was named Monkey Bob.

12. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

One time, towards the end of the summer of 2010 (maybe it was still in August), I showed an episode of The Powerpuff Girls (it was "Mr. Mojo's Rising") to my mother, saying stuff like "you remember that". At one point, she says "that's Mo Jojo" (she was referring to Mojo Jojo).
    Coincidentally, in the Portuguese dub (which I rediscovered last year), they ACTUALLY say Mo Jojo once!

13. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Nerd Life

Years ago, I was at my aunt and uncle's house with some relatives watching a rerun of The Shirt Tales on USA Cartoon Express (this was prior to the launch of Cartoon Network, btw). At one point on the show, Bogey the Orangutan says something to Digger Mole and my cousin sits up shocked. He asks me, "What's that mole's name?!?" and I tell him "It's Digger.", and he says "Oh, I thought that he called him something else!" (a word that rhymes with Digger that I can't type here).

14. Dudley

Dudley Moderator Moderator

When watching Xiaolin Showdown, my mom thought Omi, the borderline racist depiction of a Chinese person, was an alien.

15. MrBabySpencer

MrBabySpencer Member

Recently, Me and my mom watched Steven Universe, and she wondering why Amethyst was purple, and I had to say cause their a different species.

16. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Love and peace

My cousin to Chobits:

"Why do all anime girls have such big boobs?"

I couldn't answer that question. I honestly don't know. Why, Japan?

17. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

That reminds me how my mom thought Roger from Doug was an alien.

18. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Me every Thursday

Omi honestly does kinda look like an alien.