1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Weird but great cover songs

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Shawn Hopkins, Aug 15, 2008.

1. G. Wen

G. Wen aspiring artist

Although not a weird cover, the best cover song I've ever heard is Human by the Pretenders, originally done by the Divinyls. The Pretenders just added more oopmh to the song. Also, the Pretenders version reminded me of some very dysfunctional people I related to in high school.

2. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Here's a great one. I found this on Lady Gaga's Twitter so I guess it's okay to post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG0wi1m-89o

10-year-old Maria covering Born This Way. It's a little disappointing that she cuts the gayest verse, but the message still gets through. Her slowed-down piano only arrangement actually makes the song better by stripping it of that sorta generic gay disco dance track that distracted so many people, and her singing voice is prodigy level. Maybe the next Bieber, who knows?

I'd like to hear Gaga herself do a piano-only version, I've seen her do other songs like Poker Face that way and they are amazing.

3. magicdog

magicdog Active Member

Smashmouth's version of The Monkees, "I'm a Believer" impressed me. I'm a fan of The Monkees' music and TV show but Smashmouth really rocked out what had been considered a cheesy song. I can't begin to imagine what they could have done with a song like "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone".

The Pozo Seco Singers' version of "Silver Thread and Golden Needles" is the best version of the song IMO (and there have been a lot of them!). The sad part is that group didn't get as wide an audience as their folk contemporaries.

Totally agreed with Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt". It truly became his song.

I also liked Bow Bow Wow's version of "I Want Candy" waaay more than the original sung by The Strangeloves.

4. tucsoncoyote

tucsoncoyote Time to get my "Game face" on

Cliff Richards Devil woman.. Done my Shy...

Now you want a good song going great? Listen to Shy's cover of Cliff Richard's Devil Woman from 1976,,,,This one really Rocks..

Seriously it does...

:coyote:

5. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

W.A.S.P. is awesome. No question.

Blackie and the gang have done some pretty cool covers over the years, some I'd consider equal or even superior to the originals. Their "Somebody to Love" and "Paint It Black" are great, but there's no topping their "I Don't Need No Doctor".

Blackie's insane voice and rhythm playing on top of his skills of picking follow-up band members make each one of these covers kick ass.

6. magicdog

magicdog Active Member

I almost forgot about the Bangles' version of "Hazy Shade of Winter". That song was originally done by Simon & Garfunkle but it was considered a "minor" hit. The Bangles version blows it out of the water!

I also enjoy UB40's reggae version of Neil Diamond's, "Red Red Wine". I love Neil's earlier songs but his version of "Red Red Wine" was so sappy! Doing a reggae version really breathed new life into it.

7. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

73 year-old rockabilly legend Wanda Jackson and Jack White team up to do a cover of Johnny Kidd and the Pirates' "Shakin' All Over" is such a weird pairing, but makes for a really cool song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzDfYidKU5c

8. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Face to Face's take on the Pogues "Sunny Side of the Street." The latter was recorded during a rough patch in the band's career when their brilliant but messed-up frontman had lost a lot his fire and passion and talent in drugs. Face to Face bring bag all of the swagger and rawness that the song would have had on one of the Pogues earlier records with an electric rock punch behind it, make MacGowan's tale of a Libertine more powerful than ever.

9. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

Has this been mentioned? What about Barry Manilow's 1998 cover recording of Paul Davis' "I Go Crazy". The way Barry did that song was fairly similar to Paul Davis' original. It's from Barry's album, "Summer of '78".

10. Six Year Man

Six Year Man Member

A now-gone webpage had one of my favorite lists of cover songs.

100-51:

50-5

Top 5

11. Zach

Zach Active Member

I came into this thread to name this song. Really interesting take on the song, though I prefer the original.

12. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Mountain Goats doing "The Sign" by Ace of Base. Darinelle nails it perfectly via acoustic. Seriously, it's out of this world.

13. The Matrix

The Matrix Member

How have we gotten this far in the thread without anyone mentioning Ben Folds' cover of Dr. Dre's... well, the title is probably not appropriate for Toon Zone.

14. carizza

carizza Member

Enter Sandman by Pat Boone sounds a bit weird for me the song’s arrangement has some nice jazzy instrumentation but there’s a speaking part that is just plain creepy.

15. Spastic Minnow

Spastic Minnow bringing kawaii back

All the mentions of "Hurt" but if we're talking weird there are certainly other choices from the "American" years were weirder, or at least weirder becasue the end product didn't work quite as well as Hurt did.
    Rowboat (Beck)
    Shiny Cage (Soundgarden)
    Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode)

On the flipside, the worst cover of a Cash song I've ever heard was Berle Ives singing Ring of Fire :ack:

The Polysics very existence is weird and their covers are likewise.
    Their best known is "My Sharona" which has coverted many a person into a Poly-person but their weirdest is probably their cover of "Enter Sandman"- featured on an entire album of J-Rock Metallica covers.

From my favorite band- the only cover song ever recorded by XTC on a studio album was the supremely odd post-punk/early new wave take on "All Along the Watchtower" from their first album. It was a staple of their live show and you can understand how it would be a lot of fun and irreverent live... but the recorded version... it's an acquired taste and it takes awhile to acquire it. I do quite like it now, especially Colin Moulding's funky bass line.

William Shatner and Ben Folds - Common People (Pulp)
    (I could mention Bill's classic interpretations but everyone knows about those.

Tori Amos - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana) , Reign of Blood (Slayer), '97 Bonnie & Clyde (Eminiem)

Faith No More - Easy (The Commodores) and Theme from Midnight Cowboy both weird because FNM's regular songs are usually loud and weird but these two were such well done faithful covers done in the original styles, Patton's take is maybe even preferable to Lionel Richie's.

Tom Waits - Heigh Ho (Yes, the dwarve's song from Snow White) Trust me- it's awesome and crazy

16. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

That Shatner cover should immediately be declared the new national anthem, and we should all talk-sing it every morning.

17. Tapout

Tapout Active Member

I think it would have been better served as an instrumental, but I still really like Metallica's version of The Ecstasy of Gold.

18. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Well, in terms of good to great covers with a definite emphasis on the weird part you generally can't go wrong with Moog Cookbook; especially their cover of Black Hole Sun.

19. Spastic Minnow

Spastic Minnow bringing kawaii back

Oh, I forgot about

Senor Coconut - Uwe Schmidt, German guy who made a name for himself in his home country making dance music for the masses, got bored with it, moved to Chile and created electronic Salsa and other Latin flavored music. The first I had heard of him was from his second album El Baile Alemán, and entire album ofKraftwerk covers done in this style. Hilarious- but actually quite good.

"Tour de France"

He's since done several other albums of mostly covers in this style.