1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Weird but great cover songs

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Shawn Hopkins, Aug 15, 2008.

1. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

He might've - in which case, it's even worse.

2. Ragebot

Ragebot Active Member

I might be biased, but I truly think that Bear & Brendan McCreary's version of the song is the best. It just doesn't get any better than with the ten-note counterpoint that was added to the instrumentation.

3. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

I also like Motorhead's cover version of Hellraiser by Ozzy Osbourne.

4. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

Don't laugh at me here, but did anyone else really like daughter Osborne's cover of Madonna's "Papa Don't Preach"? Wasn't much different from the original, just updated, but I liked it..

5. Bluntman

Bluntman Member

Gotta go with Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt". I'm more of a fan of Hine Inch Nails' version, but Cash's rang with so much more emotion.

6. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought it was fine. I was never a big Madonna fan, but this song is okay.

7. jrh31584

jrh31584 Also an excellent speller.

A couple of my favorites I haven't seen here:

Blowin' in the Wind - Neil Young - probably my second favorite track off of one of my favorite live albums, behind the 14-minute version of Like a Hurricane.
    Hotel California - Gipsy Kings - really like the guitar work on this one, especially at the beginning.

8. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I have to revive this because I just heard Paul Anka's cover of "Black Hole Sun." It's wonderful. It even has a snappy little piano part. Feels like walking down a rain slick New York street at night with a light little song in your heart, only that song is wishing for the end of the world. Find it now.

9. savedbythebell

savedbythebell Phoenix Wright fanboy

I Cant Get No Satisfaction by DEVO - Just an excellent cover and one of the few covers I like better than the original.

I've Been Waiting For You by The Pixies - An awesome cover of an awesome Neil Young song

Superstar by Sonic Youth - I'm surprised no one mentioned this one yet

Shadowplay by The Killers - My favorite thing the Killers ever did. They really did Joy Division justice with this cover

10. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Oh I heard that one sometime last year and loved it.

But I have to say, I like the cover version Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gormé did of the same song a little more. It's like this lounge/jazz rendition. It's mellow, but haunting somehow.

I'm amazed no one mentioned Dynamite Hack's version of Easy E's Boyz-n-the-Hood. I really liked this version. It was actually the first version I heard of it when I was younger. I had no idea the other version existed :sweat:

Last one I'll mention that I always enjoy hearing is Cake's version of the Mahna Mahna song from the Muppet Show. It's funny how they manage to still hit all the standard Cake elements in a song.

11. Spaceman

Spaceman I Am Here

Came in to say this. Dark yet incredibly dance-y.

Still though, Johnny Cash's Hurt is the undisputed king of covers. Others would say Gary Jules' rendition of Mad World, but I honestly find that to be so oppressively gloomy that I can't really enjoy it.

12. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Replacements- "Black Diamond"

The last thing you'd expect out of a KISS cover, but it still kicks ass.

And maybe it's just the fanboy in me, but I think this cover of "You Give Love a Bad Name" is far better than Bon Jovi's original.

13. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

I enjoy JoCo's soft rock cover of Baby Got Back far more than the original. Probably just 'cause it's so much funnier.

14. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

One of my favorite covers is Weezer's rendition of Green Day's "Worry Rock". I love how they made it their own, taking it from a Ramones-esque pop punk song and making it smooth and laid back.

15. PunkPhantom

PunkPhantom Addicted to Toons & Tunes

Static Lullaby did a cover of "Toxic" by Britney Spears.

It was awesome.:cool:

I also liked Green Day's cover of Working Class Hero.

16. savedbythebell

savedbythebell Phoenix Wright fanboy

I actually cant stand Gary Jules cover of Mad World. it might be due to overplay or just my love for Tears For Fears

17. Shift

Shift Brave Warrior of the Sea

18. tucsoncoyote

tucsoncoyote Time to get my "Game face" on

A number of covers... some weird ...

you want a great cover? I got one for you

Jimmy Cliff's version of Johnny Nash's song I can see Clearly Now

In fact Cliff's version was so good, it was used in the Movie Cool Runnings.

So yeah you want good covers? There's one for ya.

and if you think Static Lullaby's version is weird.. listen to these three covers of the same song (Toxic) by Nickel Creek,
    Screamo, and Yael Naim. This is just too creepy.. Screamo's version is too heavy metal.. while Yael's version is too.. slow... and Nickel'Creek's version? Hilarious..

and then you want weird? There's KLF/ The Timelord's "Doctorin' the Tardis' which is a cover for Gary Glitter's Rock and Roll Part 2. and the Theme from Doctor Who.

and finally.. we got Art of Noise.. Doing the theme from Dragnet... (Thank god.. It's Friday!)

:coyote:

#58 tucsoncoyote, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2011
  19. EroSennin

EroSennin The Frog Hermit

Joe Cockers cover of "With a Little Help From My Friends". It absolutely blows away the Beatles version. I think even The Beatles agreed his version was better.

20. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

Sublime is another band who I think did some good covers. Heck, on the album 40 Oz. to Freedom alone they have six covers, and all of them are pretty good, but my favorites are "We're Only Gonna Die For Our Arrogance"(originally by Bad Religion as "We're Only Gonna Die"), "Scarlet Begonias"(originally by The Grateful Dead), and "Hope"(originally by The Descendents).