1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

WB's Adventures of Zorro (1997) cartoon series?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Lucho, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Lucho

Lucho 'Ja think I'm a cowboy?

Looking for any more info on this series- The New Adventures of Zorro (aka Zorro: The Animated Series) -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Adventures_of_Zorro_(1997_TV_series)
    I know Filmation had series by the same name in the 80’s, and there have been several others Zorro cartoons, but this is specifically about the WB produced Zorro which supposedly aired on Kids WB in 1997?
    Does anyone remember watching it? Episode summaries? Opinions? Recommended?
    Character? Story? Animation quality?

Was it at all faithful to any of the previous Zorro canon/continuity? The original McCully novels and Fairbanks version? The Disney version? Or did it follow the Anthony Hopkins, Antonio Banderas continuity, which had just about or was about to be released?
    Any specifics about the production team behind the animation? Design team? etc.?

Apparently it ran 2 seasons?
    Was the full series ever released on DVD?
    This appears to be a compilation of a few (6) episodes - http://www.amazon.com/Zorro-Encounter-Beastly-Battles-Animated/dp/B00017LV8M/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1300676518&sr=8-20

[​IMG]
    Are they in the right order of broadcast, or just random?
    Do any contain an origin story?
    Is there a better DVD compilation then this?
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

#1 Lucho, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011
  2. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

I... honestly never knew they made a Zorro animated series, I'll look into it, this looks really neat.

3. Superpan

Superpan Member

Ah, yes. Well, as a guy who has made a Zorro timeline and who owns a video of this, I'll tell what little I know.

The show was a typical Zorro adventure show. He fought crime and the evil machinations of the capitan Ramon and Sgt. Garcia (I think it was Garcia, not Gonzales). He had Tornado, Bernardo, and his dad along with him. What seperated this version of Zorro from other versions was that the villains he faced were more steampunk or supernatural, more akin to the villains on a Batman show. The episodes I owned had a pirate with a really powerful Hook that had a gun and a sword in it, I think. I haven't watched that video in....over a decade I think and so my mind's a little foggy.

4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I only remember two things about this show. One is the opening song, which I thought was really cool. And I remember something from an episode, where there was a writer with a magic book (or something like that) and everything he wrote became true. That's about all I can remember, though I'm sure I watched more of this show when it first came out.

5. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

I barely remember either Warner Bros. 1997 animated version of Zorro or Disney's live-action TV series. I only remember(and possess on DVD) Filmation's 1981 animated version, which aired on CBS. Even though there were only 26 episodes of WB's animated version, I couldn't find it on my local station, even though it aired on Kids WB. It did air, but I must've been watching other programs at the time. Disney's live-action TV series, I didn't really pay too much attention to- perhaps it's time for me to visit both, sometime in the future. I do know Filmation's version was the only program from that studio to be outsourced, which really wasn't in Lou Scheimer's repretoire, but then again, back in 1981, his studio was overbooked with work, all done at their home base in the United States. I believe Zorro is still the property of Classic Media Ltd.

6. Lucho

Ok at least some do remember it, and actually having aired, I was beginning to doubt it, and that it was something that only went to DVD.
    This obviously was pretty low on anyone's radar, if on it at all.
    Thanks for the replies.

I since stumbled on these two fun CN bumpers -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIS1k-sxAaI&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihHPGOur5yg&feature=related

I’d love to see the whole series, although the above DVD only has a few episodes, which are apparently out of order (anyone got the full chronologic list?).
    And thanks for any more info.

#6 Lucho, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011
  7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It was a Warner Bros. series ? I had no idea. I remember catching it during early mornings, syndicated on WB11 in NY, while getting ready for my commute to school. I was a Zorro fan before but I never thought much of this series. It just seemed to be there. What really stuck in my head at the time was the look of the show. There was this certain "cuddliness" in the character designs that put me off at first (wide eyes, rounded shapes, etc) but I eventually started liking it quite a bit, and emulating it in my own little sketches at the time.

8. Joe Wagner

Joe Wagner The one, true Scarlet Spider!

I just stumbled across this thread and wanted to add a little more information. The Zorro animated series was very much in the same style as Batman and Superman and was syndicated as an early Saturday morning cartoon.

I would recommend picking up the DVD release, as it has a good sample of the episode style used within the show. However, the WB also released a few Video CD's that contained different episodes than the DVD release. A quick search should turn up these results, or I can see if I can upload a few photos from my own collection.

9. Lucho

Sorry for the old thread bump, this just came up again.

Any Link or box scans of which those are?
    And what episodes they contained?

Was there ever any release of all 25 episodes?

Season 1
    1. To Catch a Fox- September. 20 1997
    2. Sting of the Serpent God- Sep. 27 1997
    3. Night of the Tolchen- Oct. 4 1997
    4. The Beast Within- Oct. 11 1997
    5. The Enforcer- Oct. 18 1997
    6. Two Zorros Are Better than One- Oct. 25 1997
    7. Tar Pit Terror- Nov. 1 1997
    8. A King's Ransom- Nov. 8 1997
    9. The Pirates of San Pedro- Nov. 15 1997
    10. The Anti Zorro- Nov. 22 1997
    11. Valley of the Manbeast- Nov. 29 1997