1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Toonzone News WB Launches Boomerang Streaming Service Hosting Over 5,000 Classic Cartoons

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Peter Paltridge, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

peter-paltridge submitted a new blog post

WB Launches Boomerang Streaming Service Hosting Over 5,000 Classic Cartoons
    [​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Turner, Warner Bros. to Launch Boomerang Cartoon Streaming-Subscription Service for $5 Monthly

I'm pretty excited, and this is something I've been wanting for a long time (though of course, I would've preferred an ad-based service so I wouldn't have to pay). I liked it when Boomerang aired classic cartoons from the Turner/TimeWarner library, and this seems to feature a slew of shows based off what's shown on the site, and in this video below. Who knows, they might add the DTV Scooby movies, and make various Kids WB series, (Histeria, Pinky and the Brain, Legion of Superheroes) available as well.
    More importantly, this is great for people who's cable provider didn't carry Boomerang, so I definitely hope to sign up in the future.

What do you guys think? Would you get this service?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. MegasMilo379

MegasMilo379 Active Member

I'm excited about this too.
    This would be great.
    I also agree on the ad-based service as well, because I don't wanna pay for something great like this either.

4. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Me, upon reading that article:

[​IMG]

This is about as close as we're going to get to returning Boomerang to what it once was.

Now if it could just toss in stuff from the Ruby-Spears library of shows, along with anything else from the 70's/80's (the stuff that's not got the broadcast rights tied up), then my childhood is restored.

I'd ask them to toss in the Filmation stuff as well, but that library of shows is easily available elsewhere online.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo New Poster. Old Lurker.

This is pretty cool. I thought they just gave up on Boomerang but they had this in mind. Can't wait for it.

6. JTOONSAnimation

JTOONSAnimation Active Member

Wow, I didn't even know Boomerang had an official YouTube page or even a Twitter. Maybe Boomerang is now being taken seriously since the rebrand.

7. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

They were launched with the announcement of the new streaming service along with Facebook and Instagram accounts. But yeah, it's nice that Boomerang is actually getting this kind of attention.

8. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

If they make it so that we can get it for free with our cable TV subscription at least, then I might consider it (e.g., Starz, and I think Epix let you have either a standalone subscription, or free viewing with a cable subscription). Otherwise, I'm going to have to say no, which is too bad really, because I really am interested in this.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

I'm also tossed in the idea I'd prefer something with ads and not pay. Hope to get lucky in the future somehow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MTGM

MTGM Member

Maybe this explains why they've been keeping a lot of shows off of their live feed. Maybe they're doing this as an incentive.

11. JTOONSAnimation

JTOONSAnimation Active Member

It would have been pretty cool if for the app logo they used the old logo, like with Noggin.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. JaredCap43™

JaredCap43™ Cringey Network

I was hoping that they would bring the old logo back with the toys too! :(
    (unless if they are going to bring it back by surprise)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I am curious about a couple of things, such as if we're getting every Looney Tunes short or just the same handful CN and Boom show, if they'll be censored, and if older CN and/or Warner series will be a part of this.

Until we know about these, though, count me interested.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Micahel Cataldo

Does this mean the channel will air classic cartoons again?

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Harley

Harley Embarassment Ninja
    Staff Member Administrator

I'll definitely keep an eye out for their regular offerings and make a call on whether to get a subscription or not when they officially launch.

16. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I don't imagine the channel will be much different than it is now, though there will be classics on the streaming service.

17. Frank Coufal

Frank Coufal Member

I hope so. I'd also like to have the CN Groovies and Shorties brought back. I also hope they'll show Swat Kats, Road Rovers, 2 Stupid Dogs,
    Freakazoid, Taz Mania, and Tom and Jerry Kids.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Jonwo

Jonwo Member

I wonder if Wacky Races and Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz will be exclusive to the streaming service or if they'll air on regular Boomerang as well? I imagine having new exclusive content would be a big selling point along with the classic stuff.

Given how CN and Boomerang treat WBA's shows, I wonder if we might see them stick to the streaming services, maybe if Boomerang is successful, they'll launch a DC streaming service with the back catalogue plus new content.

19. D-nice is the man.

It means you will have to pay a Monthly Subscription, if you want to see most of the classics.

20. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

So wait. Boomerang is both the name of the channel and the new streaming service that's set to launch in the future? And the new service just has the "boomerang" name in the URL while the channel now has "boomeranggo" instead? This is so confusing.

I see one of the "classic" cartoons being offered in the new Boomerang service is My Gym Partner's A Monkey, so take of that what you will. At least the high quality looping animation clips on the top of the web page look nice. Kinda surprised they didn't save this news for the big Turner upfront this spring. They'll probably make a big fuss about it then regardless.

I know the press release said the main channel will continue to stay on the air, but I wouldn't be surprised whatsoever if it ends up being gradually phased out not this year, but two or three years down the line. With a streaming service as ambitious as this, there just doesn't seem to be any point in keeping the channel around anymore.

• Agree Agree x 3