Was "The Spongebob Squarepants Movie" The Show's Final Ending?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by ShadowCat2000, Jul 24, 2009.

1. ShadowCat2000

ShadowCat2000 New Member

My brother(It may have been me) realized one day that The Spongebob Squarepants Movie, may have been the intended finale to the series. It does make sense and to me, would be a good ending. I wonder if after the show ends, if Hillenburg will reveal that the movie is meant to be the finale?

2. Kuromi_Star

Kuromi_Star Neko mimi mode

Yes it was meant to be a finale and it is chronologically the end of the series. It's not really a secret:anime:

3. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Active Member

4. The Cartoon

The Cartoon Moderator

Well yeah, it is the end of the series. But it comes after all of the other episodes have already aired and they are still going to be made for a long time.

5. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

that's why the krusty krab 2 appears in none of the other episodes. the events of the movie take place at the end of the series.;)

6. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

All of the post-movie episodes of SpongeBob Squarepants are meant to take place before the movie. I think that was explained somewhere.

7. Jacob

Jacob Moderator

There was a second Krusty Krab in "Can You Spare a Dime?". Why isn't it in any other episodes?

My thoughts on this: Does it matter? Does SpongeBob have any continuity at all?

8. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

i thought the second krusty krab was in "As Seen on TV" but that was a prop. either way it was before the movie.
    My thoughts: lots of cartoons don't have continuity.

9. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

There is not much continuity in Spongebob. What about the episode where everyone and everything was shrunk except for Plankton? Or the episode where the Alaskan Bull Worm flattens Bikini Bottom? Or the episode where Spongebob accidentally blew up Squidward and the rest of the town with that pie bomb? Those are just a few examples, there's plenty more.

10. Master Toon

Master Toon New Member

Even if the creators said that the movie was meant for after the series I'm sure that was just to cover up the fact that they thought that it was the show's end but continued with the show anyway.

That was just a prop. Like Squidward says: Everyone needs an understudy.

I think we can all unanimously agree that Spongebob has no continuity.

11. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Active Member

Out of all of the scenarios, this one makes the most sense, despite lack of continuity.

12. Secret Scientist

Secret Scientist New Member

One of the things I like about Spongebob is its lack of continuity. What if everyone were still trapped in Sandy's Treedome from A Flea in her Dome or Squidwards house was still burned down from Squids Visit or Bikini Bottom was still shrunken or flaten. Most shows that have continuity are boring, cause they have stick with theme of last episode. You make Spongebobs' lack of continuity seem like a bad thing. The fact that The Spongebob Squarepants Movie was supposed to be the series finale was supposed to be a secret, but with the internet nowadays... Anyway, I would've ended the series too, because no show really survives without its creator (rugrats, rocket power etc.) but if anyone would, it would be Spongebob.

13. TheGonzfam

TheGonzfam New Member

To the people who thought spongebob has no continuity, in the episode, "Whelk Attack", spongebob has an idea on how to fix things, and in the process, he says, "I've had the suds", implying that this episode, continuity-wise, came after the episode, "Suds". And speaking of movies, there should be an article about a movie that's long overdue...:narf::brain:

14. mapleman555

mapleman555 New Member

I don't think people are referring to the nature of Bikini Bottom but they mean in terms of character development and revelations. Case and point, no matter how many times Spongebob will learn that he can be annoying and that Squidward needs his space he just gets even creepier with his advances. Look at Adventure Time. They might not have super strong continuity but it's there. Characters don't just get dumber and dumber over the course of time, sorry if this is coming off condescending but I just wondered how you didn't enjoy most continuity driven shows.

15. WBCartoonFan

WBCartoonFan aka toonstar4youtv

why does everyone seems to think SBSP Movie is a finale when SBSP 2 being announced since Feb 2012?

16. GPRailroad8794

GPRailroad8794 New Member

^Because back in 2004, when the movie was released, it was geared up and originally intended to be the series finale.