Was the Goku vs Frieza battle in DBZ really that dragged out?

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Mr. Anime, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Mr. Anime

Mr. Anime Active Member

Was the Goku vs Frieza battle in DBZ really that dragged out? Becuase I have been rewatching my DBZ videos and I have just finished the entire Goku vs Frieza yesteday and I remembear that lots of people here said that this battle went on for too long.

2. NickWhiz1

NickWhiz1 New Member

Need we remind you of the phrase "five minutes"?

3. Dark Fact

Dark Fact Preaching evil since '04

You wanna know a funny thing? Had Frieza mentioned that planet Namek would explode in five hours instead of five minutes, we would've all had let the dragged out fight slide. :yawn:

4. Beat

Beat Retired

Longest five minutes in the history of the universe.

5. Nin-Nin69

Nin-Nin69 [CUE SQUEALING FANGIRLS]

It's Toei's fault. Nobody ever blames Toei.

6. Mike JD Silva

Mike JD Silva New Member

Yeah, considering how much more quickly that fight went in the manga. Since probably a bit long, but nowhere near the ten episodes Toei bestowed upon us.

7. Fresh V

Fresh V Stand By Me

Seriously, what the hell was Toei thinking when they did that?

8. Mike JD Silva

Mike JD Silva New Member

It probably just depends on where Toei had animated up to at that point against what chapter Toriyama had finished at the time. It's possible they got far too close to where Toriyama was in the manga and needed to give him time to get more chapters done, so they improvised. Unfortunately they improvised at probably the wrong time and we got a lot more drag on scenes than probably intended.

I'll give them this though, despite all the filler the Dragonball series is one of the most faithful manga to anime adaptions that I have ever seen.

9. Fresh V

Fresh V Stand By Me

Yeah, I know they had to drag it out to avoid catching up to the manga. But damn, they could have at least took out the 5 minutes thing or made it 5 hours like Dark Fact said, instead of having a ridiculously long 5 minutes.

10. Grenzer

Grenzer Well, he's almost a pony...

Toei dragged the fight out because at the time Toriyama was dead set on ending Dragonball after the Frieza Saga ended. While editors at SJ were persuading Toriyama to continue (in the form of a huge cash bonus), Toei needed to prevent the anime from going off the air in order to keep its time slot, so they did what they could to extent the story arc as long as they could. I am sure if Toei could have avoided it they would have, but the threat of losing their cash cow drove them to do some very stupid things.

11. Nin-Nin69

Nin-Nin69 [CUE SQUEALING FANGIRLS]

Like DBGT for example. :shrug:

12. Timmay

Timmay 100th cup of coffee.

I remember saying to myself "Wow! 5 minutes! the fight is sure to end tomorrow!"

2 weeks went by.

13. Zeonic Freak

Zeonic Freak The Heartbeat of America...

yea, what you said. Well for Initial D the manga and the Fourth Stage went basicly side by side, but the episodes came out like 2 or so months apart. The longest in Fourth Stage was probably the last race which both spaned to 4 episodes. So i just pray that its a couple of years and more books before new ID comes out.

Sorry to sound off topic, but wanted to find something to compare too.

Thats why i always think its a bad idea for manga and tv to go next togeather...

Thats something i would say... but your absolutly right and i LAWLed when i saw that.

14. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

The whole five minutes turning into like 10 episodes was ridiculous. The only possible explanation could be that Goku and Frieza were really fighting faster than it seemed, but it was shown slower for the viewers. Remember how during the Cell Games, the audience couldn't see a lot of the fighting because of how fast it was? Of course even by that rule, it is impossible for that fight to be only 5 minutes, considering all the events that happened during the fight.

15. Dark Fact

Dark Fact Preaching evil since '04

So Toriyama's original plan for the ending was to have

It does make sense when you consider it from Toriyama's point of view. I don't think he ever intended for the Androids to had ever existed as well as Dr. Gear-O.

16. Lutochris

Lutochris New Member

I never thought it was very dragged out. I thought the long number of episodes made the fight seem that much more epic. I mean prior to that you'd never see those long multi-episode fights going on in anime/manga. I think the whole "5 minutes" was just Frieza assuming that the planet would explode in 5 minutes. But he probably underestimated his own strength as he had spent a lot of his energy already fighting Goku.

17. Grenzer

Grenzer Well, he's almost a pony...

18. Mr. Anime

Mr. Anime Active Member

But the battles against Vegeta and Nappa, Cell and Majin Buu were just as long yet it's it's always the Frieza fight that people say dragged on.

19. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

That's because they had better plot elements going on, and Cell and Buu themselves weren't fought in just one battle like Frieza was. There was also better pacing. Yeah I know the fighters changed from Gohan, Vegeta, and Krillin to Goku, but it still felt like one fight because Goku starts fighting Frieza right after Vegeta dies.

20. Nel_Annette

Nel_Annette Go green!

I always liked to think that Frieza was referring to his home planet's version of "minutes", not Goku's.:p