1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Was DiC Entertainment ever good?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by TheMisterManGuy, Aug 2, 2017.

1. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

I wasn't too bad. But not that good either. There was Gadget's niece and Pole Position good and there is some bad stuff too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This reminds me how for the longest time I wanted DHX Media to launch a new kids channel in the US since they owned DIC, which has one of the largest media libraries of children's content in the world. When I brought up the idea on another site someone replied.

"But most of that stuff isn't even good."

...and I realized they were pretty much right. Starz Family aired several DIC shows last year, and I could barely sit through most of those shows. And I used to love these toons when I was younger.
    I'm sure there are some gems in there, but for the most part, maybe they were never good. It's probably a case where most people think the like it, simply because they remember it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

A lot of DiC shows are kind of fun for nostalgia, but it's wise not to really go back to them as an adult. They were quirky little things that could be very fun for kids but mostly just cheaply made and formulaic in the eyes of older viewers, especially compared to writing and animation these days.

I have good memories of Inspector Gadget, Heathcliff, the Mario cartoons and Adventures of Sonic, but nowadays, while I get a fond tingle from memories and bits of funny character at times, they feel pretty basic and cheesy. Even Sonic SatAm, which was designed ambitiously by it's creators, comes off rather laughably pretentious and basic at times.

4. superdude

superdude king of cool

I grew up with fond memories of Heathcliff and Inspector Gadget but I didn't quite like their 'look.' I later discovered the Ruby-Spears Heathcliffs and they were so much better and 'on-model' too. I do thank DiC for The Catallac Cats and Cleo. ;) As a kid I watched The Littles and The Get-Along-Gang on Saturdays. I recently watched the GAG pilot/special which was done by Cinar.

I never had much of a opinion of CInar but that animation on that GAG was clearly higher in quality and richness. You notice this every time DiC took over production of an existing show, it wasn't that good anymore, see The Chipmunks and GI Joe.

5. TheMisterManGuy

TheMisterManGuy Active Member

Actually, the Get Along Gang pilot was done by Nelvana, not Cinar.

6. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

IMO, DIC had 4 really great series (in regards to both story and animation). Those 4 series are ULYSSES 31,THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS,STARCOM,and HEATHCLIFF. Then they had series that had decent to great animation and art with either garbage writing and/or a decent and interesting story premise that was poorly executed like JAYCE AND THE WHEEL WARRIORS,COPS,MUMMY'S ALIVE,MASK,and POLE POSITION.

7. Eek!Swimmer1623

Eek!Swimmer1623 New Member

I enjoy the video game DIC series like the Mario cartoons, Zelda, and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, but mostly in a so bad, its good way. They aren't that good, but they have a charm to them in that they are cheesy.

Other than that, Liberty's Kids and Carmen Sandiego were legimitely good actually. They made learning fun and The Chief from Carmen Sandiego was very entertaining.

8. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wait, they did the Carmen Sandiego cartoon? I saw an ep on Qubo a while back, and it was rather nice. I'm surprised DIC did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

Possible language warning!

10. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

^ I don't know how we got to the point where the easiest path to a reply is a video from YouTube.

11. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Me neither.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

For lazy animation, it could had been interesting to compare Dic and Filmation. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

That's an ironic statement considering they both did different versions of Ghostbusters around the same time (and yes, I know of Filmation's 1975 live-action show).

• Like Like x 1
  14. AdrenalineRush1996

And this is why DIC's Ghostbusters was titled The Real Ghostbusters instead of Ghostbusters: The Animated Series.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. superkeegan9100

Because they wanted people to think the Sony-owned ones are the real ones. Pfft, as if.

16. AdrenalineRush1996

As if, what? They did that to avoid a lawsuit from Filmation and actually, the show began airing three years before the Sony acquisition of Columbia Tristar from Coca-Cola.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. superkeegan9100

I meant Sony owns them now.