1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

was babs bunny really the prototype for lola bunny?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by wrenchien, Sep 11, 2002.

1. ivellios1988

ivellios1988 Member

Sorry for refreshing such old topic but I feel I have something new to addd to it. ;)

First of all, the most probably is that the girl bunny who appears in 'Bugs Bunny's Thanksgiving Diet' is NOT Honey Bunny. Compare with the ending of 'Bewitched Bunny' where Witch Hazel is turned into a female bunny. Honey Bunny didn't appear in animation at all, she didn't even make a cameo appearance. It's 'bunnied' Witch Hazel whom we see in Thanksgiving special.

When it comes to inspirations, I think that Lola Bunny is inspired by Honey Bunny (not to say she's updated version of her). Compare Lola Bunny and now-almost-forgotten comic version of Honey Bunny:

[​IMG]

Common features:
    - similar or the same fur color
    - they both are blondes and have floppy ears and 'Bugs-like' tails
    - their eyes are much rounder than those of Bugs
    - they both love sports (Honey does sports in some comic stories, Lola - you know, Space Jam)
    - in some comic stories Honey Bunny has white feet

Early 'Space Jam' sketches show that it was Honey Bunny who was planned to be put as Bugs Bunny's female counterpart, however, they tried to use the latest 'extremely Bugs-like' version of her. Because she looked too much like Bugs in drag, they decided to change her visual appearance. The simplest way was just to take a comic version of Honey Bunny and give her more modern look. And to give her 'more sexy' name, too...

Of course, this is just my opinion based on everything I've learned about Honey Bunny and Lola Bunny from materials I've got during my search.

Now something about the relation between Honey Bunny and Babs Bunny. In early 1980's Chuck Jones made a series of wedding-related paintings in which Honey Bunny is depicted as a personification (or 'bunnification') of happiness. In these paintings, Honey Bunny is pink and she has bows on her ears. Examples:
    http://honeybunnyworld.com/site.php?lg=en&akcja=galeria&co=pokaz&id=153
    http://honeybunnyworld.com/site.php?lg=en&akcja=galeria&co=pokaz&id=152
    I think that Babs' visual appearance was, at least partially, inspired by this version of Honey Bunny.