1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Was 4kids' going agaisnt Kids WB what doomed them?

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by aegisrawks, Apr 21, 2017.

1. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

I know there are PLENTY of other factors but I think this was a major reason too.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

It was a tie of various effects from this issue. Kids WB wants 4kids, then 4kids gets the boot. Kids WB' gets the boot and are taken by 4kids. 4kids removes Kids WB from the block, and then 4kids ends up replaced by Vortexx. Both actually started well but 4kids got the upper hand for the most part in this.

• Like Like x 1
  3. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

The CW4Kids AND Vortexx were doomed from the start. Vortexx was doing fine but then it got sucked into the Litton void LIKE ALL THE OTHER SATURDAY MORNING CARTOON BLOCKS

• Like Like x 1
  4. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

It's all Litton's fault that the Saturday mornings we used to know are dead. Boy, if someone were to buy Litton out, we'd get our Saturday mornings back.

Anyway, 4Kids and Kids' WB were big, and because of them, the Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh! anime became famous in the States.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No, we wouldn't get Saturday morning blocks back if Litton was bought out. There would just be another company involved with putting educational programs/infomercials on those channels instead. Saturday morning blocks were already really outdated way before Litton came into the picture, so it's not entirely their fault or they were the only reason why Saturday morning blocks were replaced. If Saturday morning blocks were still popular and successful, then we wouldn't have educational blocks on these channels.

Admittedly, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! would have become popular regardless of who dubbed them and what channel they aired on, especially Pokemon, but it's still true that they were some of their most successful shows.

Anyway, I'm not sure how 4Kids went against Kids' WB exactly. They eventually took over their Saturday morning block, but I don't see how that was going against them either. One of the biggest factors for their downfall was losing Pokemon. That meant that they lost a lot of money, which could have helped them during the economy crash. The economy problems really hurt small businesses, which included 4Kids, and it didn't help that they pull all of their eggs in the Chaotic basket, which kind of blew up in their faces. Then the lawsuits over the Yu-Gi-Oh! license didn't help them out either. There were quite a few issues that led to 4Kids being closed down and the remaining bits becoming 4K Media, but I don't know if Kids' WB was among those factors.

• Like Like x 1
  6. D-nice is the man.

All I can get out of this was the CW4Kids and 4Kids blocks were both running in tandem on The CW and most FOX Stations from May 2008-December 2008. after that FOX got rid of their traditional Saturday Morning block for good by that point. Both blocks were effectively competing with the other Saturday Morning blocks by ABC, NBC, CBS.
    Nowadays, you almost never see animated programming on Saturday mornings except on the Spanish-Language channels like Telemundo and Univision which is surprising to say the least. Not even the Pre-School orientated NBC Kids which was the last remaining Saturday Morning block with Animated Programming was safe, now 4 of the blocks by ABC, NBC, CBS, The CW are now run by Litton Entertainment, it's those blocks now are practically were competing against themselves, and they'll most likely stay that way for a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

4Kids still supplied some programming to KidsWB and the fact they had competition indicated there was still money to be made on SATAM. I know KidsWB was more of a broadcasting staple in the US, but given the complete nonentity The CW was/is/forever will be, maybe it would've been better for them to stay on Fox (assuming they wouldn't just wait a few more years to do the infomercial/edutainment dump).

4Kids died because they blew through their Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! reserves on shows that weren't able to replicate that level of success. The Yu-Gi-Oh! lawsuit, which resulted in a number of large plans being discarded, made it so they couldn't even play Monster Reincarnation.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I forgot about all of those plans. The legal fees within the lawsuit, as well as just being involved in a lawsuit in the first place, did a lot of damage to 4Kids. They did win the lawsuit, but the fact that they shortly had to put the license and their block for auction shortly afterwards shows how they were beyond repair at that point.