1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Warren Ellis, Horrible Writer?

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by John6777, Oct 11, 2003.

?

Warren Ellis....

1. Horrible Writer

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Good Writer

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. John6777

John6777 Active Member

Am i the only one who can't stand anything he writes. He destroyed 3 of my favorite X-books of all time. X-man,Excalibur,and Generation X. Almost everything he touches he destorys. I might be the only one but i am still right about the x-books.

2. Jor-El

Jor-El Krypton is doomed.

[​IMG] That was kind'a funny.

Go read the kinds of books that Ellis was meant to write. I don't read X books, but from what I've read of his darker Vertigo stuff... well, that's why I kind'a laugh at this whole thread. Okay, so maybe he shouldn't have been the writer for those books, but let's look at those books: how many better writers have there truly been?

3. whitmore_sean

whitmore_sean Member

Hey, don't forget he destroyed X-Force as well!

But if you ever stray beyond the realm of X-Books, check out Planetary, Authority, Hellblazer, Transmetropolitan, or Stormwatch. THEN come back and let us know what you think.

SEAN

4. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I don't think he's a bad writer, although I admit his Xbook stuff was mediocre and I thought the revivals of Generation X and X-Man, even X-Force were kind of cliched with dark new outlook. I'm sure X-fans hated it because they were cliches from the wider world, not the ones they were used to. I liked the Black Air concept, though, and he did a pretty good Starjammers limited.

I think a lot of people might be put off because he's very often very negative and grim, although hope shines through sometimes. I also think that, now that he's had his turn at further deconstructing superheroes (if that's even possible), with Authority, there's no reason for him to go back to them.

I would read more of him if his projects appealed to me more. I could never dig on Transmet much, for example, because it seemed like "stick Hunter S. Thompson in the future" is something a first-year college student would come up with.

As for other writers in what I like to think of as his peer group, I feel Ellis definitely ranks third after Morrison and Ennis (both have done what I consider better, more ambitous and original work), but he's better than Mark Millar.

Anyone else used to post or at least lurk at Ellis' Delphi Forum?

5. XornWasWrong

XornWasWrong New Member

I liked him on Nextwave and Thunderbolts. I haven't read much else of his.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Transmetropolition, awesome book about Cyberpunk gonzo journalism nuff said

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

He wrote G.I. Joe Resolute and I loved that. So I'm gonna say no. Feels like there was a period in the late 90s to mid 00s where everyone was chomping at the bit to create a bad X-Men book.

8. Lynx Animation

Lynx Animation New Member

Didn't know that Ellis was doing commercial stuff, too. It seems very plausible that he would destroy all this mainstream comics, but try to read some of his author projects. He really knows how to write badass stories.

9. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

I really liked his run on Thunderbolts, but not much else. I read a few of his creator owned sci-fi/space graphic novels, which I didn't care for and I really don't see why people like Planetary so much either. Still need to read Transmetropolitan and The Authority though. Hopefully they're good.