1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Warner Bros. Studio Stores 1990-2001

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by dth1971, Mar 27, 2008.

1. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Does anyone remember going to the 1990-2001 chain rival to the Disney Store called the Warner Bros. Studio Store in local shopping malls and downtown area cities?

2. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

Of course. Even have video...

3. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

Didn't go often, but recall it being pretty cool.

4. Baltofan

Baltofan Active Member

I visited a store in London for nearly ten years ago.

5. Daphne Blake

Daphne Blake 'Hellooooooooooooooooo Nurse!'

Darn tootin' I do. Completely sucks that it's gone. WHY IS LIFE SO CRUEL?

Anyway didn't it close in something like 2004? Cos I remember going to it at the end of 2003.

6. takineko

takineko I can do that with a pancake!

Oh yes. I met the voice actors of the Warners there at a signing too. Man I loved loved loved going to that store. I've always prefered warner brothers animation to disney, characters were just nuttier you know?

post post post

7. Daphne Blake

For me it depends on which medium on which I prefered. I prefer Disney for their animated films but WB's TV shows were better in my eyes. I think I adored both stores the same. Disney tho focused more to a younger market and WB's to older collectors so I guess I would probably spend more in a WB store now if they were still about.

I don't get why they closed though, I would have thought they were successful.

8. Rocketboy

Rocketboy It's party time

I remember it. Though I only remember them just selling clothes and plushies of the "Big" titles. (Looney Tunes, Batman, Scooby-Doo.)

9. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

One day I'll post video from alt.tv.animaniacs fan gatherings at the stores during Voice Tour events. I can't capture video, as you can tell from my "Deleted Scenes" videos. The nVidia VIVO drivers no workie on this old card, and the old PNY manufacturer-specific drivers are nowhere to be found anymore (or were they reference drivers from the video capture chip maker? I don't remember).

But yes, met Rob Paulsen a week after Animania IV. Jess had told him all about us. Rob even knew my name by then (a few days earlier, he had said, "Oh, Keeper, and...?" to someone who had mentioned being friends with some of the people who had gone to WB the previous weekend), despite never having met me before. That was bizarre.

At the last stop of the World Domination Tour, before the signing took place, Rob and Moe broke into the theme to Super Chicken. I joined in, and did the chicken sound part! And of course, at the end of the event, I asked Pinky & The Brain the ultimate question: http://users.california.com/~keeper/pbint.mp3

#9 Keeper, Apr 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2008
  10. DrTooth

DrTooth Active Member

Actually, they had quite a bit of Animaniacs toys for a while, inclding the hard to find Slappy Squirrel Pin. I still have that some where. But we (eventually) got T-shirts, hats, bean bags (only the three Warners, and 2 versions of Pinky and Brain- the variation was basically a Christmas plush), and christmas ornaments. They did have TTA stuff early on, but only the older Applause Plush. A shame, since I wanted the little Plucky Duck one time, but didn't have enough money.

I met them and have their signed post card. But I was just too star struck to even get the nerve to talk to them. I could tell you an even more embarassing story where I had the chance to meet Joe Barbera (or was it Bill Hanna, I forget specifically who) and I couldn't even get the nerve to be in the same room with him. Luckily that all passed on when I grew up. otherwise I never would have met Carol Spinney- whom you all know better as Oscar the grouch and Big Bird. being a cartoon and Muppet nerd, let's just say I have a different sense of whos a celebrity than most people.

And of note: in case any of you are bitter that the Disney Store was able to keep going on, well, bitter no more. Stores are closing left and right, and I wouldn't be surprised if the state doesn't even have one in the next few months.

11. ToOn~g@l

ToOn~g@l Just singin' the blues

Oh man I loved going to the Warner Brothers stores mainly because they didn't have any where I lived and the nearest one was an hour away. They were so much cooler than the Disney stores and I remember seeing Bugs Bunny and Taz a few times at the front of the store greeting people. Some of you guys got lucky and met voice actors, I am now jealous of you.

12. Daphne Blake

I second that.

13. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Too bad the Warner Bros. Studio Stores never came out with beanbag plushes of Slappy Squirrel or Minerva Mink or Fifi La Fume or Shirley the Loon.

14. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

It is a shame that there was hardly any Slappy Squirrel merchandise made, but honestly I don't think that was ever going to happen, even if the stores had stayed around. Those characters just weren't popular enough to warrant merchandise. Maybe if their respective shows had ran a little longer, then WB might've considered making merchandise based on the 'lesser' characters, as it would've been assumed that everyone would have gotten every piece of Buster & Babs, Plucky Duck, Dizzy Devil*, Yakko, Wakko & Dot and Pinky & the Brain merchandise by then.

*Ironically, Diz was actually a fairly minor character on TTA, yet he was treated in a lot of the show's publicity and merchandise as one of TTA's leading lights. He even got to be on the Tiny Toons Thanksgiving Day Parade float. Presumably, this was because Dizzy was the heir apparent to Taz, who was likewise extremely popular and graced a lot of WB merchandise, despite his only appearing in 5 Looney Tunes before the closing of the studio (Not to mention headlining his own series Taz-Mania, which was likewise conceived in response to Taz's immense popularity).

15. DrTooth

DrTooth Active Member

Oh, they pretty much stopped the Animaniacs/Pinky and the Brain stuff a year or so before the store went under. I was disappointed she wasn't a bean bag during the height of bean bag mania. I felt the same way about the Disney Store never making a Scrooge McDuck or Luwig VonDrake, but making Humphry the Bear. That's a very obscure Disney character. other than his appearance in one Rescue Rangers episode, I'm surprised anyone even would recognize him.

That said, Slappy, outside of the pin was only 2 Happy Meal toys. And in one she was just a sticker.

16. Daphne Blake

A Slappy beanie would have been swish.

17. UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk l33t haxx0r Narf!

I remember him mostly for his disney shorts. One involving cleaning up litter in a national forest, and one were he would steal Donalds honey. Poor Donald. Everyones always against him. :(

Anyway, in the late 90s A! and P&TB were scarce, and mostly on clearance. They cared more about harry potter merchandise (no movie existed yet) and HB characters like Scooby Doo, Dexter, and Powerpuff Girls. I live in DFW, and the closest store was was too far, and I was only able to go there once a year because of that. I didnt even visit the mall till the mid 90s, so TTA merchandise was already long gone. Same thing for the Disney Store and the Nick store which was in the same mall. The Nick store closed within months, the WB store soon followed, and then went the disney store.

During the last years of the WB store we did get a closer location, at the closest mall. But is was a discount store. Everything was either broken or had tweety on it. :( This means of course that I didnt buy anything. And it soon closed as well. Now its a golf store, which you know they do a lot of business :confused:

But oddly enough the Disney stores survived. They now have one in every mall Ive seen, but they got rid of everything that made them special. I dont think anyone over the age of 8 can find anything suitable for them. Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like if WB went the same way. No cell paintings, no adult clothing, no watches, MORE tweety, more CN HB crap...

18. Daphne Blake

I wish there was more classic animation products in the Disney store, instead of all of the Hanna Montana and HSM (though I like HSM) and less Tinkerbell and Winnie The Pooh. The character selection is limited.

19. Fifi Fanatic

Fifi Fanatic Certified Skunkologist

A number of people (including myself, obviously) lament the fact that there was nothing of Fifi, Slappy, etc. I think I would still kill for a Sneezer plush. Wouldn't it be cool if you could squeeze him and he said "Ah-Ahhh-Ahhhhh-CHOOOO!!!!" :cool:

20. DrTooth

DrTooth Active Member

Survived barely. Mine are all closing down like crazy. I usually only go in if they're promoting some movie or something. Or they have a sale. The Cars stuff is alright, but other than that, it's the Pooh, Playhouse Disney, Disney channel store. And that's pretty much an improvement over the 2000-2002 Disney store, where the only things they had were Pooh and Dalmations... to the point there was a Pooh dressed up as a dalmation. That was terrible. It took that "mickey's Clubhouse" show to even have the basic Donald, Mickey and Goofy merchandise.

Much as I hate to admit it, this is exactly what the WB store would be if it were around today. Basically just Scooby, Tweety, and DC comics. In fact, I bet if you waited long enough, there wouldn't even be any Warner Bros. merchandise at all.

I always wondered why they didn't make assortments of PVC collections featuring those characters. I think we were robbed, not having a Dr. Scratchy PVC sitting in a chair or something. I know there were little soft plastic TTA figures that sat atop stamps and bubble blowers. They had a Sneezer. They also had Hampton, Buster and Babs, Plucky, and Furball. I don't know about anyone else, though.